[0.23] Squad Texture Reduction Pack - B9 and KW Packs also

PolecatEZ

Squad Texture Reduction Pack - UPDATED

shrink.png

Update -

Still works with 0.23, newer objects don't have the reduced textures, but that doesn't make the mod any less efficient.

Internal Spaces are done. Total savings is 400mb almost exactly. RAM usage savings is ~340mb for me, your mileage may vary.

Please uninstall all previous versions per instructions before downloading - though it should work just to run the new Debloat.bat and Copy over again.

------------------------------------------------

All Stock 1mb and 4mb textures have been “debloated†by between 25 and 90%, leading to a 400mb reduction in size for your “Parts†and "Spaces" folder.

Later improvements will take another 50-100mb off that number, and 100-150 from the “Spaces†folder. I'll make a pass at the internal spaces as well as the 3mb textures probably in a day or two.

So far I haven’t noticed any loss in quality, but I have seen a slightly smoother gameplay with a little less VAB and SPH lag. My RAM usage dropped by about 140mb or so, your mileage may vary.

If other mods are pushing the 3.5GB limit, and causing crashes, this is definitely for you.

â€â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€-

To install this mod:

- Place the Debloat.bat in your /GameData folder

- Double-click Debloat.bat to run it.

- Overwrite your Squad folder with the one from the .zip

- Profit.

To remove (sounds complicated, very easy):

- Run Debloat.bat again.

- Delete Debloat.bat

- In Steam, Right-click “Kerbal Space Programâ€Â, select Properties at the bottom.

- Select “Local Files†and then click “Verify Integrity of Local Game Cacheâ€Â

- No more profit.

--------------------------------

I did the install this way to save space on the download and just give you the de-bloated textures, and also not to re-distribute Squad’s unaltered original files.

MIT license – means I don’t care what you do with this, don’t even ask, do what you want...just don't hold me liable.

Original Textures are/were subject to Squad's EULA, where it is implied modification and redistribution of items in the "Parts" folder is fully allowed for use in KSP.

Download Here

Questions/Comments/Concerns can be posted below.

===============================================================

B9 Aerospace Texture Pack now available.

Reduces RAM footprint by around 200mb, reduces B9 lag in VAB/SPH.

Distributed under GPL3 license in the original B9 Pack, see Spaceport link for details.

KW Rocketry Texture Pack

Reduces RAM footprint by around 200mb for KW Rocketry, about 65% off the original load.

Distributed under GPL3 license in the original KW Rocketry Pack, see Spaceport link for details.

Mac and Unix Users, take a gander below:

------------

This is the latest version of the UNIX script: Debloat script. It was updated when PolecatEZ updated the debloat script for removing stock IVA textures.

It SHOULD work on Mac with the same instructions for Linux.

Instructions:

Paste the contents of the pastebin link into a file in your /Gamedata folder. Call it debloat.sh.

In a terminal, cd into the /Gamedata folder, and run: chmod 700 [file]

Now execute the file with: sudo [filename]

Now follow the rest of PolecatEZ's directions.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, but I don't use a Mac so I'm giving the most straightforward directions to running a script on both Mac & Linux.

-------------

I will happily provide the full size .tga textures that are in this pack to other modders upon request, provided their licensing is GPL-3 or MIT for their works.

Edited by PolecatEZ
Update

Trying this now! The Squad folder has been the longtime cuprit in limiting how many other mods could be used - glad to see someone tackling the problem directly at the source.

Looking forward to your IVA optimization, as that's the biggest chunk of bloated space in the folder.

~200mb isn't much, but it is a start to putting a serious dent in the Squad folder. For 200mb savings though, you could now add NovaPunch for "free", for example.

I'm definitely really happy with it. That 270MB saved could install B9 three times over. It's especially helpful because I'm at the point on my heavily-modded install that it crashes often and new mods around 20-30MB in size make it crash period. This is gonna save it lots of space! Here, take five stars!

Looking at the batch file (because you should never run a batch file with looking at it), why delete the model files? Why not just overwrite them with the what's in the zip file?

Also rather than redownload the orginal squad files, you could just copy the squad folder out for safe keeping. I have a tempmod folder just for this sort of thing

Edit: Nevermind, I think i figured it out. The new models aren't the same format (.mu) These are .tga

What's the difference? Can't .mu files be debloated? Just curious.

Edited by rosenkranz

@PolecatEZ: This mod is fantastic. Thank you.

Took a crack at updating the batch file for Linux.

Just paste it to a file in the /Gamedata folder, make it executable [chmod +x (file)], and run it. It should prompt you for the root password and delete the necessary files.

Pastebin link

EDIT: Tested it. Works fine. If you chown root:root [filename] there should be no password prompt.

Edited by amo28
Tested.

Hmm, i found possible bug. After loading ship in orbit, and then returning to Space Center i can't click on buildings in scenery view. Only thing i can click on is 'Quit' button :/ And when i'm in the Main Menu screen i can't click on anything either. To leave the game i have to use alt+F4.

Hmm, i found possible bug. After loading ship in orbit, and then returning to Space Center i can't click on buildings in scenery view. Only thing i can click on is 'Quit' button :/ And when i'm in the Main Menu screen i can't click on anything either. To leave the game i have to use alt+F4.

This is a bug with .21. It happens to me all the time, especially when I tab to different windows.

Is it happening to you on restarts everytime?

This is a bug with .21. It happens to me all the time, especially when I tab to different windows.

Is it happening to you on restarts everytime?

No. It was very first time it happened to me ever. And i wasn't alt-tabbing at all. Maybe i did something wrong during installation. Should i completely remove original Squad folder and copy new one? I overwrote it first time.

If you overwrote it without running the batch file (following directions), you have duplicate textures that may or may not play nice.

You can delete the Squad folder entirely and do a "local file cache verification" and Steam will fix it.

I can almost guarantee that this mod, installed as instructed, did not do that to your game. It doesn't change any code. At worst, it may show up as a bright white empty texture on a part or lines going in the wrong direction for an improperly rotated texture/normal map. Let me know about these bugs if you find them.

What's the difference? Can't .mu files be debloated? Just curious.

I could revert them back to .mbm, but its unnecessary and may be the source of possible extra bugs (though it is more idiot-proof for installing). .MU files are the model meshes, and are already fairly compressed. The only way to shrink those would be to re-make the entire model with less detail, but they are a very miniscule load compared to the textures.

Edited by PolecatEZ

I don't mean to diminish the significance of your issue, but I have not experienced that bug when using this mod.

Game loaded quickly, I went to the space center, visited one of my space stations via the tracking station, switched to an other orbiting space station, then back to the space center. Everything loaded fine and worked properly.

How do I get this to work on a mac...?

Wait for someone to translate the batch file to be mac friendly...I have no idea how those commie hipster boxes work. If another user posts it I'll put it in the first thread.

Awesome, great job for doing what Squad should be doing!

I saw that they had a thread addressing this, and the idea was that this feature was pushed back quite a ways. I saw in a folder or two where some experiments with file size and formats were attempted, but it looks like they didn't pursue it.

--------------------------

I've almost got the internals done in testing. It looks like another 200mb are saved. The windows for 2 of the pods are whitewash though, I need to figure out which texture it is.

Edited by PolecatEZ

From the instructions:

Place the Debloat.bat in your /GameData folder

In the .zip from Spaceport, there is no Debloat.bat. There is bloatKiller.bat, and all it does it delete things.

Did you put the Squad folder into the /GameData folder after running bloatKiller.bat?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.