Things I Never Knew

Brotoro

Something I discovered in this latest release (not sure if it's new or not): maneuver node adjustment controls are bi-directional. For example, if you're increasing your pro-grade and overshoot your expected result, you can drag it back toward the center it will reverse at a slower pace. This makes it a lot easier than adjusting by flipping between pro-grade and retrograde maneuver node controls.

Normal radial seperators though leave themselves attatched to what is being removed from the ship. I also didn't know that particular part disconnected on both sides. I've had times (not radially though) where I could use something like that.

You can tab through the planets? So I kept losing my maneuver node every time I accidentally clicked on a flag instead of Kerbin for nothing?

One of the non-alarm-clock uses I have for Kerbal Alarm Clock is to save a maneuver node while switching between ships or whatnot. :)

I didn't realize until a few weeks ago that on the map screen, if you click the little apo/peri tabs, the numbers will stay on the screen after you move the cursor away, so you can fine-tune maneuvers without having to move back and forth between the numbers and the maneuver planning controls.

This is seriously valuable info! I can't believe I never tried clicking on them before, I wonder if that's because of years of internet conditioning to only expect a click action if your pointer becomes a hand?

That's going to reduce the amount of swearing I do during IP transfers!

This is seriously valuable info! I can't believe I never tried clicking on them before, I wonder if that's because of years of internet conditioning to only expect a click action if your pointer becomes a hand?

That's going to reduce the amount of swearing I do during IP transfers!

I'd seen it before but didn't realize how. I just went and double checked, the tricky part is that if you have the little "add maneuver node" sphere showing when you click, it will take precedence and not count it as a click on the marker.

On more than one occasion, I've had ships that would not stop wanting to spin. Always thought it was a clipping issue but now I believe it to be caused by attitude trimming.

I'd physical time accelerate to rotate large ships quickly and accidentally still be holding alt for a second when maneuvering, thus setting a barely noticeable trim adjustment. Once I jettisoned the larger portions of the ship, that barely noticeable trim would get amplified by the lesser mass of the ship.

Too many headaches over that lol :P

On more than one occasion, I've had ships that would not stop wanting to spin. Always thought it was a clipping issue but now I believe it to be caused by attitude trimming.

I'd physical time accelerate to rotate large ships quickly and accidentally still be holding alt for a second when maneuvering, thus setting a barely noticeable trim adjustment. Once I jettisoned the larger portions of the ship, that barely noticeable trim would get amplified by the lesser mass of the ship.

Too many headaches over that lol :P

Interesting. But I don't think I've ever done that.

I didn't realize until a few weeks ago that on the map screen, if you click the little apo/peri tabs, the numbers will stay on the screen after you move the cursor away, so you can fine-tune maneuvers without having to move back and forth between the numbers and the maneuver planning controls.

Good tip. Will be using that.

Things I didn't know until earlier today.

ALT+< > will increase or decrease the time physics time warp and let you continue on those stupid long burns to other planets. YEAH!

Explain yourself, my friend!

I'm no Hodo, but I'll explain anyway :)

If you're flying in space, and you hit the ">" key, (Actually "." but whatever) time will speed up 5x, 10x, 50x, etc. I assume you know this. Most physics will be put on rails during this time (Collisions are ignored, any spinning your rocket is doing will stop, etc).

I you're flying in atmosphere, and you hit the ">" key, time will also speed up but only 2x, 3x, and 4x. I assume you know this as well. Physics will NOT be put on rails so your rocket will tumble, can still collide with stuff, and parachutes will open (however, they will rip off at 4x speed when they open fully).

So, what if you're in space, but want to do the in-atmosphere type of warp where physics still works? Hold down Alt when hitting ">" and it'll do that.

So, I have about 200 hours into the game and just found out that I can click on the launchpad to launch from the KSC overview. I always went into the VAB and loaded and rocket and then hit launch. This also helps because it reminds me to add Kerbals to some of my modules before launch, which I always forget to do from the VAB.

I'm no Hodo, but I'll explain anyway :)

If you're flying in space, and you hit the ">" key, (Actually "." but whatever) time will speed up 5x, 10x, 50x, etc. I assume you know this. Most physics will be put on rails during this time (Collisions are ignored, any spinning your rocket is doing will stop, etc).

I you're flying in atmosphere, and you hit the ">" key, time will also speed up but only 2x, 3x, and 4x. I assume you know this as well. Physics will NOT be put on rails so your rocket will tumble, can still collide with stuff, and parachutes will open (however, they will rip off at 4x speed when they open fully).

So, what if you're in space, but want to do the in-atmosphere type of warp where physics still works? Hold down Alt when hitting ">" and it'll do that.

It also allows you to use physics warp with rovers on the surfaces of low gravity worlds where it normally isn't allowed.

It took me forever to learn that you could actually drag maneuver nodes around the orbit to change where they'd execute. I had always assumed they were fixed.

WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN

Without swearing, I will just say thank you for pointing this out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.