Nertea

[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: Far Future Technologies [new testing release Nov 19 2018]

Recommended Posts

Hey @Nertea, I'm looking for someone to adopt my star map into his Prop pack. Would you like to be one of those? :3

Here I inserted it into your observation module.

ZkXr9vc.jpg

I'll give you all the source files.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm loving those IVAs.  Even a small IVA is a lot of work, those large things... I think it's take me years. And of course, after those years it still wouldn't look as good.  :)

 

And the prop pack. It makes it clear the ksp Unity add-on's interface for adding props needs work.  Scroll scroll scroll....

Awesome stuff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Even a small IVA is a lot of work, those large things... I think it's take me years. And of course, after those years it still wouldn't look as good.  :)

Actually, while large IVAs may need a higher number of props, depending on IVA design itself, I've generally found large, open IVA spaces much easier and less tedious to populate, than small cramped spaces... :P 

 

52 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

And the prop pack. It makes it clear the ksp Unity add-on's interface for adding props needs work.  Scroll scroll scroll....

yeah... and you have to have the prop selection window soooo wide to see the name and the spawn button...
would be much better to be able to just click the name itself...
also, props seem to be listed alphabetically, by folder name, rather than by propname... not sure i like that either :(
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Actually, while large IVAs may need a higher number of props, depending on IVA design itself, I've generally found large, open IVA spaces much easier and less tedious to populate, than small cramped spaces... :P 
 

Well, as I'm about to embark on a size3 four story IVA, that is relieving to hear.  :D

Quote

yeah... and you have to have the prop selection window soooo wide to see the name and the spawn button...
would be much better to be able to just click the name itself...
also, props seem to be listed alphabetically, by folder name, rather than by propname... not sure i like that either :(

Yeah, the sorting is weird.  The button being off to the side by the widest named prop is frustrating.  Especially when you get a screen full of props with shorter names and you can't quite work out which button goes with which prop.  The idea of having the prop name as the button is an awesome UI idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Yeah, the sorting is weird.  The button being off to the side by the widest named prop is frustrating.  Especially when you get a screen full of props with shorter names and you can't quite work out which button goes with which prop.  The idea of having the prop name as the button is an awesome UI idea.

Im almost positive the props are sorted alphabetically by the name of the /GameData/<this folder> folder... So, I guess if you *had* to... you could maybe fudge the folder names while working in Unity to resort the props... but that would play heck when/if you want to start KSP just to check them ingame :P

and yeah... I have spawned the incorrect prop sooooo many dang times cuz its hard to tell how the buttons/names are lined up >:( :roll_eyes:

Also doesnt help, that Squad seems to have duplicates of stock props for some reason... vOv

But anyway, this thread, altho really about SSPXr at this point, the NF Props are well named, (with a mod prefix) and luckily grouped together...
(actually ASET, JSI(RPM), and IIRC your TD Ind. Props are too... so that helps :wink: )

Oh! another annoying thing, is Unity doesnt open .dds files :P (Nertea told me its a licensing thing, that has been going on since 2010, so i dont expect unity to change *that* any time soon :P )
So if you arent familiar with the props (unless you dev'd them :P ), it can make it a bit more difficult to tell the difference between similar props, or even which way they are facing when you try to place them, because there are no textures... :(

For NF Props, i ended up converting all the textures to png, saving a copy of the NF Props folder containing the converted textures, outside the gamdata folder... I then delete ALL the files EXCEPT the pngs, keeping the proper folder structure.
Then install NF Props as normal, and then overwrite the Gamedata/NFProps folder with a copy of my png folder... (mainly cause I have been working with the dev version of the mod, and it updates quite frequently...)

Sorry for diverting your thread more toward NF Props, Nertea :P
So i suggest any further discussion be taken to the NF Props mod, or similar... maybe your TD Props thread, Tik... :wink:

Edited by Stone Blue
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, since I've been gone for a while... what's the link to the latest version of Far Future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think IVAs are the furthest thing on most modders' minds when they make parts and I can understand it's very time-consuming and even frustrating to devote this much time to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is something new on the USI-LS patch that I want you to help to test it out. 

I reduced the supplies production of greenhouses to give the larger greenhouse more opportunity to be used.

In compensation of heavier mass than the USI-LS inline greenhouse, I decided to add recycler to them.

I also adjust the aquaculture module a bit.

So the new stats are.

2.5m greenhouse - 5.94 supplies/hr, 70% recycler efficiency for 2 crews. Total EC usage 6.8 EC/s

3.75m greenhouse - 9.9 supplies/hr, 70% recycler efficiency for 3 crews. Total EC usage 10.75 EC/s

3.75m aquaculture - 81% recycler efficiency for 4 crews, 36.25 EC/s

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rdtnqcn2hlh2ok/SSPXR-USILS.cfg?dl=0

I'm looking for feedback. Have a nice day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*downloads beta package, starts looking through the parts*

"Astrogation Module?"  *click*   "Meh... it's a bit 'much'.  Probably just stick with a regular cupola [for my next spaceship bridge], or maybe an observation module and forward docking port for hard docks."

*idly grabs one, fills it with kerbals, puts it on the launch pad and checks the IVA*

"oh my god i need it"

Edited by Commander Zoom
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'll be using some of your props for Warbird Cockpits to come. Bunks, sleeping bags, coffee machines, all great things!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my 1.3.0 install is suffering from an issue with FFT: the fusion drives power up nicely on the launchpad, but refuse to work when in orbit. It's like the engine shorts out and flips back to charging mode. Any idea what that could be causing that?

It's a heavily modded install and I suspect kerbalism ;-(

Logs are empty and even the simplest of craft can reproduce

Update:

Got it by browsing the (excellent) source code. If you activate the engine, make sure it is throttled up a bit. It would be nice to get "growl" style notifications "engine charged", "engine shutdown due to lack of throttle" etc.

Thanks for the excellent mod, I can now get a huge craft to jool (i hope)

Edited by MacLuky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MacLuky said:

my 1.3.0 install is suffering from an issue with FFT: the fusion drives power up nicely on the launchpad, but refuse to work when in orbit. It's like the engine shorts out and flips back to charging mode. Any idea what that could be causing that?

It's a heavily modded install and I suspect kerbalism ;-(

Logs are empty and even the simplest of craft can reproduce

Update:

Got it by browsing the (excellent) source code. If you activate the engine, make sure it is throttled up a bit. It would be nice to get "growl" style notifications "engine charged", "engine shutdown due to lack of throttle" etc.

Thanks for the excellent mod, I can now get a huge craft to jool (i hope)

Yeah that module is slated for some improvements, particularly screen message popups when stuff happens. 

On 1/19/2018 at 11:50 AM, Pulsar said:

Here is something new on the USI-LS patch that I want you to help to test it out. 

I reduced the supplies production of greenhouses to give the larger greenhouse more opportunity to be used.

In compensation of heavier mass than the USI-LS inline greenhouse, I decided to add recycler to them.

I also adjust the aquaculture module a bit.

So the new stats are.

2.5m greenhouse - 5.94 supplies/hr, 70% recycler efficiency for 2 crews. Total EC usage 6.8 EC/s

3.75m greenhouse - 9.9 supplies/hr, 70% recycler efficiency for 3 crews. Total EC usage 10.75 EC/s

3.75m aquaculture - 81% recycler efficiency for 4 crews, 36.25 EC/s

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rdtnqcn2hlh2ok/SSPXR-USILS.cfg?dl=0

I'm looking for feedback. Have a nice day!

Do you want this in the next dev version?

On 1/18/2018 at 3:27 PM, MaverickSawyer said:

So, since I've been gone for a while... what's the link to the latest version of Far Future?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxw03rsa9j9jt9j/FarFutureTechnologies0_2_4.zip?dl=0

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nertea said:

Do you want this in the next dev version?

Yes. I will do pull request shortly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

SSPXr 1.0.0.A3

  • Remaining textures converted to dds
  • Fixed 3.75m cupola specular windows
  • Added science blurbs for the fish experiment
  • Fixed centrifuge internal model rotation resetting when crew are transferred into the part
  • Added plugin component to handle friction for adjusting base legs
  • Updates to USI patch (Pulsar)
  • IVA improvements
    • Completed internal mesh, seat locations, prop layout, blocking mesh for aquaculture module
    • Completed prop layout, seat layout for 3.75m large centrifuge
    • Fixed seat locations, improved blocking mesh for 3.75m compact centrifuge
    • Completed prop layout, seat layout and blocking mesh for 2.5m centrifuge
    • Completed prop layout, seat layout and blocking meshes for 1.25m compact habs (Thanks Stone Blue)
    • Completed prop layout, seat layout and blocking meshes for 1.25m large hab
    • Tweaked blocking meshes and prop layout on 1.25m centrifuges
    • Fixed a seat location on the 2.5m station core

This is probably the last dev release! There are no in progress issues left. I do need to do a specular + texture unification pass, as I noticed some missing things the other day, but hey, almost done!

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cant wait to play with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More adjusted stats for new IVA. It's getting better and better! Can't wait for the full release!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you made a nice station with these releases, I'd like to see it, and possibly include it in a release album. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm finishing up a career station right now, I can get you the pictures of it in orbit. It does have some parts from other mods, but those are mostly hidden by the solar arrays, if that is OK with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nertea said:

If you made a nice station with these releases, I'd like to see it, and possibly include it in a release album. 

I have quite the fancy station/transit vehicle with your FFT that I have some new pictures of, and I'm working on version 2 of that with these new parts. Should have something soon. Fortunately it won't have nearly as many parts, but that may make it not nearly as neat looking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh darn it Nertea my jaw just started to recover from it's last impact with my floor. I'm forwarding the bill to you and I expect full reimbursement for the surgical costs to reattach it especially since this is such a repeat thing. :mad:

Keep this up it's going to be a Forum-wide epidemic.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just downloaded the latest release and I immediately started having issues where the game would crash trying to load a save. I decided to start with a totally fresh install with just this mod and add mods on to see what caused it. It seems that using the latest version of Stock Visual Enhancements (and the included mods) along with SSPX makes the game either hang on loading, crash on loading, or crash on trying to launch a craft. Just to make sure it was SVE being incompatible I uninstalled SSPX, leaving just the base game and SVE, and the game worked fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ddavis425 said:

I just downloaded the latest release and I immediately started having issues where the game would crash trying to load a save. I decided to start with a totally fresh install with just this mod and add mods on to see what caused it. It seems that using the latest version of Stock Visual Enhancements (and the included mods) along with SSPX makes the game either hang on loading, crash on loading, or crash on trying to launch a craft. Just to make sure it was SVE being incompatible I uninstalled SSPX, leaving just the base game and SVE, and the game worked fine. 

This seems unlikely for two reasons:

1) There's nothing complicated about this pack that would interact with something like SVE
2) I'm using SVE in one of my screenshot-taking installs with no issues

Can't say much without a log, but crash on scene load is typically a memory issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.dropbox.com/s/owuubjxuz9tv63t/error.log?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zg9sx06axv0alti/output_log.txt?dl=0

Here are the error and output logs.  I'm running on a i5 6600k with 8gb ram and RX 480. This crash happened upon launching a craft. This only happens when I have the SSPX mod installed, all other mods work fine with SVE installed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ddavis425 said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/owuubjxuz9tv63t/error.log?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zg9sx06axv0alti/output_log.txt?dl=0

Here are the error and output logs.  I'm running on a i5 6600k with 8gb ram and RX 480. This crash happened upon launching a craft. This only happens when I have the SSPX mod installed, all other mods work fine with SVE installed.

 

From your log: "F:\Games\Steam Library\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe"

As Nertea wrote, you have memory issue. Specifically, you are running out of memory, because there is by design 4GB memory limit for 32-bit applications. Run KSP_x64.exe instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now