[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

Models look fantastic and fit well with Porkjet's Mk2 parts. I wonder how they will compare with the Mk3 that Squad is implementing next (in terms of use, what they can carry etc. Looks-wise these parts fit in brilliantly).

As an aside how are people getting these things into orbit? I tried a massive bank of turbojets/RAPIERs and could barely get it to move. I am using FAR and PWings though so maybe that is the problem.

As an aside how are people getting these things into orbit? I tried a massive bank of turbojets/RAPIERs and could barely get it to move. I am using FAR and PWings though so maybe that is the problem.

You shouldn't really need that much thrust, particularly with FAR. Difficult to say without seeing your design though - are you having trouble getting it off the runway? You may just have too much fuel.

Or too little lift :P

And well, the mk3 parts just got teased. I'm not entirely sure but it still looks like Nerts mk4 are a bit bigger still? Definitely also horizontally oval instead of vertically like the new mk3's.

It actually looks to me like they might be slightly bigger in terms of cargo capacity - but, they're different enough that I will certainly continue development :).

Expect a first "official" release in a week, approximately. I have managed to redo the non-RPM instrumentation for the cockpit (even better than last time!) so it's mostly ready for primetime, and am working on the RPM version. The holdup is currently that NFSpacecraft and SSPX need a release at the same time due to changes to the NearFutureProps package. There will now be full internal instrumentation for those IVAs without needing RPM, so I need to lay those out and whip up the proper MM patches to implement the old ones when RPM is installed.

I also want to sneak in a couple of other new parts :).

If the new Mk3 parts are too close to yours, you could just scale them up and make them Mk5 parts

Slightly complicated - things like the 1.25m/2.5m adapters, airlocks, and the IVA would all be the wrong size.

The Mk3 parts are 3.75m in diameter and about 3.25m wide (the same as B9's HL fuselage system, based on pixel measurements of the screenshots). The volume per unit length is probably similar to Nert's Mk4 system, but the Mk4 parts are considerably wider, which makes them much more useful for things like larger rovers.

The texture work on that new Mk3 is crisp and all, as you'd expect from the excellent Senor Porkjet, but I honestly don't think I'll be able to find a use for those parts. The Nert Mk4 system here seems to me to hold much more potential.

I'll reserve judgment of the Mk3 system until I see the whole lineup. There were no cargo bays or docking ports in the preview linked by Maxmaps, but he did say some parts weren't included in the preview because they were still being worked on, so bays and docking ports may be what he was referencing (I'm just speculating). However, if the Mk3 collection in the next update doesn't have cargo bays, or the cargo bays aren't big enough to fit 2.5M parts, Nertea's Mk4 will definitely have a leg up in that regard.

EDIT: Apparently Maxmaps tweeted that there will be cargo bays in Mk3 update, and possibly medium- and large-sized landing gear as well (current ones being small-sized). Even so, like I said before the edit, I'll wait and see how they stack up.

EDIT 2: Meanwhile, on Kerbin...

screenshot36_zps19ac5c3d.png

screenshot38_zps7f8a6b6c.png

screenshot39_zpse593a31a.png

Fully fueled, this thing weighs just over 28 tons, but is surprisingly nimble when flying at low speed in vertical flight mode. In horizontal flight at low altitude however, it doesn't go over 200m/s and has the turning radius of a B-52. But that's ok, it's purpose isn't speed or maneuverability. Thanks Nertea :) "Runways? Where we are going we don't need...runways."

PS: And if anybody thought the design looks familiar, I got the idea from the VTOL's in the first-person shooter "Crysis".

Edited by Raptor9

Man, I pop in here to drop an update and find I've missed a beautiful craft

Ok so last update before moving to the release forums! I'm really interested in balance, minor but annoying bugs, etc.

Major balance change: I noticed that I derived the lift values for the fuselages from the wrong-sized wing. It should be easier to get lift now :).

As testing bribery, there are three new parts: 2 wing engine/intake pods, a new higher-thrust multimode engine (looks like TB2's engine ;)). Some photos involving the relevant parts:

m4bribery1.png

m4bribery2.png

Nice, I'll DL the new update ASAP. I was just playing with the previous release earlier today, and for the most part it flew pretty well, except for one VERY nasty attribute: if I (or MechJeb) input anything more than a moderate amount of positive pitch (i.e. 'pulling back on the stick'), the plane would depart from controlled flight and swap ends very quickly. But, since you mention making some lift/drag changes to some or all of the parts, I think this will solve the problem. No, I don't use 'FAR' or 'NEAR', just the 'Stock Drag Fix' plugin. :) Anyway, like I said, I'm looking forward to playing with the newest version as soon as I can.

Keep up the great work, Nertea! Later all! :D

Thanks a heap! I've seen it around in the Add-On showcase and not tried it out yet because I'm under the impression it's hard to understand. Any word on this?

It's a little bit hard in the beginning, because you have to understand everything. However, I managed to figure out how must of the stuff works by watching an old mod showcase of one of the previous versions, because most of the stuff was pretty much the same.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.