[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

I just made a simple test craft that I cheated into orbit to play around with the engines. While testing the "'Polaris' Z-Pinch Fusion Engine", I found that I am getting no thrust. It consumes EC and Fusion Pelets and is visible firing, but no net force is applied to the craft. I tested it the other Z-Pinch Fusion Engine and it works fine.

Here are some screenshots, a craft file and a generic log file.

LOG: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6KLmRpYz5AlOXp3Rmw2UnE5WXM

CRAFT: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6KLmRpYz5Ala2VyTWtFMmFBQTQ

Edited by Three_Pounds

3 hours ago, Trolllception said:

This is great.  I think I need to start considering a way to have fun with a sandbox save.  It seems I never get to use the more advanced parts since gathering 20K+ science to unlock the last nodes is such a chore.  Nertea perhaps the chart you posted should go on the main page to help describe some of the engines and their benefits.  Congrats on the next release!

That chart isn't very final - I will make a better one once I start to get some feedback

2 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

I just made a simple test craft that I cheated into orbit to play around with the engines. While testing the "'Polaris' Z-Pinch Fusion Engine", I found that I am getting no thrust. It consumes EC and Fusion Pelets and is visible firing, but no net force is applied to the craft. I tested it the other Z-Pinch Fusion Engine and it works fine.

Huh, can't see any simple-to-fix problems. Weird.

22 hours ago, Nertea said:

Engine design flows out of the engine itself quite well. For a real engine it's quite clear. For a fictional engine I look at what the required inputs are, so what fuels do we need, and how the fuels get in there (turbopump, pressure-fed, etc). Next we should look at the way the reaction chamber should work, and how the nozzle is cooled. Then I draw inspiration from real engines to model those components. Turbopump types, ways of piping, etc. Really the parameters of the engine shape the look in a lot of cases. 

Ok so holy changelog batman. There's probably still a lot of bugs but I have to release this to start finding them!

Far Future Technologies 0.2.0

•  KSP 1.3
  •  KSP 1.3 localization support for all parts and plugin components
  •  Updated bundled MM to 2.8.1
  •  Updated bundled CRP to 0.7.1
  •  Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 1.9.0
  •  CryoTanks is now bundled
  •  Added DynamicBatteryStorage component to distribution for timewarp EC management
  •  The PulsePropulsion plugin was merged with the main FarFutureTechnologies plugin for easier maintenance
  •  Lots of improvements to UI components
  •  Antimatter handling was improved:
    •  Antimatter is now visible and tweakable in the VAB
    •  Antimatter tanks now have "virtual" contents in the VAB, which are not carried to the pad, for compatibility with KER/MJ DV displays
    •  Antimatter loader interface now reloads the antimatter count periodically
    •  Added infinite mode to antimatter factory which sets factory capacity to the maximum (activate with CTRL+SHIFT+A)
  •  Improved ModuleEngineHeatDisplay's performance and utility
  •  Improved PulseEngineAnimator to be more flexible, support "initiation" animations and heat animations
  •  ModuleAntimatterTank's timewarp compensation was removed (Handled in DBS)
  •  Fixed antimatter tank only drawing power from itself and not the entire vessel
  •  New ModuleChargeableEngine component
    • Engine must be charged by a flow of EC for some time before being activated at a customizable draw rate
    •  Engines using this method typically don't require as much EC during operation
  •  New ModuleMultiLengthEngine component
    •  Engine reaction chamber length can be varied in the VAB
    •  Higher reaction chamber length gives better performance
  •  New ModuleProfilingScanner component
    •  Replaces stock atmosphere scanner module
    •  ModuleProfilingScanner scans detect concentrations at the sensor but also direct a scanning beam in the direction of instrument pointing
    •  Running a scan opens a window showing the measured concentrations out into space at a player-defined distance
  •  Z-Pinch engines received nicknames
  •  Various changes to nomenclature of engines for better VAB sorting
  •  Most engines fuel gauges were modified - EC no longer draws, and the two most "important" fuels are drawn
  •  Reexported all engine plumes with correct layers and tags
  •  Mass ratio of He3/D tanks was normalized to 6 (same as all cryogenic fuels in my other mods)
  •  Rebalanced energy usage of all engines, typically now scales with thrust power (magnetic nozzle field strength)
  •  Rebalanced heat production of all engines to typically lower values
  •  Increased emissivity and max temp of most engines
  •  Fixed small nuclear target tank containing 4000 pellets (reduced to 1800)
  •  All fusion fuel tanks now require cryogenic cooling
  •  Nuclear smelter now has an Ablator Refurbishment mode that can transform large quantities of ore into Ablator in-place
  •  Increased visual pulse rate of Z-pinch engines by 25-33%
  •  Casaba, MicroStar, Pleiades, Polaris engines now use the new ModuleChargeableEngine component
  •  Cochrane engine completely rebalanced
    •  Uses new ModuleMultiLengthEngine implementation
    •  Engine reaction chamber length can be varied from 5m to 30m
    •  Higher reaction chamber length gives better thrust (linear scaling) and better efficiency (geometric scaling) at the cost of higher mass, energy usage (linear scaling)
  •  Added JR-35B 'Jet' Tokamak Fusion Engine
    •  Chargeable engine
    •  Simple entry level thermal fusion engine using D/He3 and LH2
  •  Added J-18 'Fresnel' Mirror Cell Fusion Engine
    •  Chargeable engine
    •  High efficiency thermal fusion engine using D/He3 and LH2
    •  Engine reaction chamber length can be varied in the VAB between 6m and 30m
    •  Higher reaction chamber length gives better thrust (linear scaling) and better efficiency (geometric scaling) at the cost of higher mass and thrust (linear scaling)
  •  Added K-29 'Hammertong' Inertial Confinement Fusion Engine
    •  Chargeable engine
    •  Magnetic nozzle, very high specific impulse, lower thrust
  •  Added K-49 'Stardust' Inertial Confinement Fusion Engine
    •  Chargeable engine
    • Ablative nozzle, high specific impulse, medium thrust
  • Added 'Implausability' Metallic Hydrogen Engine
    •  High TWR, high impulse chemical engine
  •  Added ST-4L3R Fusion Fuel Tank (3.75m)
  •  Added ST-824 Fusion Fuel Tank (2.5m)
  •  Added MH-4 Metallic Hydrogen Tank (2.5m)
  •  Added MH-8 Metallic Hydrogen Tank (3.75m)
  •  Reexported all normal maps for correct-ness

Oh, and a link to the download

Awesome release!

Unfortunately, I'm now experiencing a strange bug with KSP 1.3 where my MET is no longer working, it stays stuck on all zeroes, or occasionally just shows year=999. It started happening today after I updated to the latest releases of all of your mods: KA, CryoTanks, DBS, DeployableEngines, NF Solar, NF Propulsion, NF Electricity, and Far Future. I have tried removing just Far Future, but the bug remains, so it might be in one of the other mods. I'll try to selectively disable one by one to see if I can find it, but due to all of the inter-dependencies, it may be a hard one to catch.

Is anyone else experiencing messed up MET?

Just now, trias702 said:

Awesome release!

Unfortunately, I'm now experiencing a strange bug with KSP 1.3 where my MET is no longer working, it stays stuck on all zeroes, or occasionally just shows year=999. It started happening today after I updated to the latest releases of all of your mods: KA, CryoTanks, DBS, DeployableEngines, NF Solar, NF Propulsion, NF Electricity, and Far Future. I have tried removing just Far Future, but the bug remains, so it might be in one of the other mods. I'll try to selectively disable one by one to see if I can find it, but due to all of the inter-dependencies, it may be a hard one to catch.

Is anyone else experiencing messed up MET?

Yes. I have seen the MET timer show just 9s during prelaunch before. Although it's always fixed by launching. I was also unable to track down the source though.

1 minute ago, Three_Pounds said:

Yes. I have seen the MET timer show just 9s during prelaunch before. Although it's always fixed by launching. I was also unable to track down the source though.

Cheers, good to know I'm not the only one. Hopefully a fix can be found.

5 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

I've had the funky MET display, too, but since the issue doesn't persist after liftoff, I've largely ignored it. It's not impacting gameplay, so why make someone fuss over chasing a non-issue?

I causes Historian to do wierd things and sometimes crash all together. It's easy to avoid though: don't touch it until after lift off. :wink:

Edited by Three_Pounds

9 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

So I can't repro this at all... nothing seems to be wrong in the log. Can anyone repro it?

Hi Nertea

fusion-mirror-25-1 have a typo error in one of its ModuleEnginesFX module. the LqdHe3 "PROPELLANT" is inside LqdDeuterium propellant brackets. Even if fix it. The engine keep shutting down and start charging again for some obscure reason. Its the first time I see a tri-propellant engine, but it doesn't seem to be the source of the error. As other engines (fusion-inertial) work just fine, I am amusing there is not conflict with my other mods...

Otherwise, nice stuff! Is there any hope to get some kind of FFT engine working in atmo? I could use one of your nuclear one, but I know you are planning to kill all my kerbal with radiation in a near/far future. I am wondering if there is any hope to save them.

21 minutes ago, Nertea said:

So I can't repro this at all... nothing seems to be wrong in the log. Can anyone repro it?

I will try.

Edit: looks like I have the same issues that I have with fusion-mirror-25-1... So I can't tell.

Edited by RedParadize

@trias702 @Nertea

Looks like I can make your craft work. I do not think we having the same issue here, but maybe. Try to have the throttle up a bit up when you activate the engine or it will flame out. 

It does not seem to work with fusion-mirror-25-1, but maybe there is a link...

Edited by RedParadize

48 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

fusion-mirror-25-1 have a typo error in one of its ModuleEnginesFX module. the LqdHe3 "PROPELLANT" is inside LqdDeuterium propellant brackets. Even if fix it. The engine keep shutting down and start charging again for some obscure reason. Its the first time I see a tri-propellant engine, but it doesn't seem to be the source of the error. As other engines (fusion-inertial) work just fine, I am amusing there is not conflict with my other mods...

Move the ModuleChargeableEngine block below ModuleEnginesFX in the config, this fixes it. 

48 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

Otherwise, nice stuff! Is there any hope to get some kind of FFT engine working in atmo? I could use one of your nuclear one, but I know you are planning to kill all my kerbal with radiation in a near/far future. I am wondering if there is any hope to save them.

Almost all of these engines are far more nuclear than anything in KA.... 

For now the MtlH2 engine is your best bet, it's the only one that won't turn anyone looking into the plume into radioactive slag...

On 7/31/2017 at 0:42 PM, Nertea said:

Engine design flows out of the engine itself quite well. For a real engine it's quite clear. For a fictional engine I look at what the required inputs are, so what fuels do we need, and how the fuels get in there (turbopump, pressure-fed, etc). Next we should look at the way the reaction chamber should work, and how the nozzle is cooled. Then I draw inspiration from real engines to model those components. Turbopump types, ways of piping, etc. Really the parameters of the engine shape the look in a lot of cases. 

Ok so holy changelog batman. There's probably still a lot of bugs but I have to release this to start finding them!

Far Future Technologies 0.2.0

Oh, and a link to the download

Nertea, you can't see it, but I am dancing right now. ALL THE DANCING.:D

EDIT: Less dancing now- the antimatter doesn't work for some reason. I fill up the tank in the VAB, and then.. NO ANTIMATTER! This wouldn't usually be an issue, but in my last stage of the burn, I was trying to use the Mun to slingshot out of orbit, and ended up slamming into the Mun face-first because I didn't have any antimatter. Where is it all?

Edited by Mekan1k

The new atmospheric ramscoop does not seem to be working for me. Took a look at the CFG file, and it appears that ModuleAnimationGroup is missing an entry for activeAnimationName. Could this be the reason for the problem?

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAnimationGroup
		deployAnimationName = OpenDoors
		activeAnimationName = 
		moduleType = #LOC_FFT_atmosphere-scoop-01_CollectorName
		autoDeploy = true
	}

10 hours ago, Mekan1k said:

the antimatter doesn't work for some reason. I fill up the tank in the VAB, and then.. NO ANTIMATTER! This wouldn't usually be an issue, but in my last stage of the burn, I was trying to use the Mun to slingshot out of orbit, and ended up slamming into the Mun face-first because I didn't have any antimatter. Where is it all?

On 7/31/2017 at 3:42 PM, Nertea said:

Antimatter tanks now have "virtual" contents in the VAB, which are not carried to the pad, for compatibility with KER/MJ DV displays

14 minutes ago, Daeridanii said:

Antimatter tanks now have "virtual" contents in the VAB, which are not carried to the pad, for compatibility with KER/MJ DV displays

So how does one create a vessel for launch with full antimatter tanks then?

1 minute ago, trias702 said:

So how does one create a vessel for launch with full antimatter tanks then?

(I'am at work, some of the following may be inaccurate)

You need to have some of it. A factory produce it at very slow rate and at start you do not have any. In VAB, if you look at the bottom right, one of the icon should show you how much you have exactly. If I remember correctly, you can setup how much antimatter you want to lunch from there.

38 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

(I'am at work, some of the following may be inaccurate)

You need to have some of it. A factory produce it at very slow rate and at start you do not have any. In VAB, if you look at the bottom right, one of the icon should show you how much you have exactly. If I remember correctly, you can setup how much antimatter you want to lunch from there.

So that icon in the bottom right just magically grows antimatter each day without me needing to do anything? How do I then load it from that icon into an empty antimatter container on my vessel?

New testing release 0.2.1

•  Updated CryoTanks to 0.4.7
  •  Added a popup that appears the first time a save has an active Antimatter Factory that tells you how to use it
  •  Clarified some tooltips and part descriptions to indicate that antimatter must be loaded on the pad/runway
  •  Fixed mirror-cell fusion engine choking on startup
  •  Worked around stock KSP bug regarding atmospheric harvesters
  •  Fixed an issue that caused a harmless exception during game loading

Hi @Nertea

I would not want to take up too much of your time. I am trying to do a MM patch for your engine and I was wondering if you would tell me how to patch the various length of the mirror-cell fusion. More specifically: how to patch each and every LENGTHCONFIGURATION. If you are curious, its not because I think their balance are off. Its just because some of them have too little trust for my patience while others require too much radiator for my sense of aesthetics. Personal stuff basically...

Thanks in advance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.