[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

9 minutes ago, ddavis425 said:

I see. I didn't know that launching through the default shortcut launched the 32 bit version of the game.

Yep. Steam is weird like that. I actually deleted the 32-bit version entirely and rebound the shortcut to the 64-bit version.

1 hour ago, ddavis425 said:

I see. I didn't know that launching through the default shortcut launched the 32 bit version of the game.

Yes, 64-bit is the key feature of 1.2 (or was it 1.1?) yet they still start in a 32bit mode that has been outdated for at least 10 years. Like buying windows in a 32bit version when every motherboard in the last 10-12 years has been 64-bit.  They really think the majority of players use potato computers.

NB: You might also want to consider forcing DX11, as stock also still starts in DX9. There are already a couple of mods that need it for best results (mainly those using Textures Unlimited).

Edited by Jimbodiah

11 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

The new space station and base parts are truly incredible. I can see myself using them a lot in future.

0S2QrN0.png

I've been trying to reduce the number of mod packs I have installed but @Nertea keeps making it annoyingly difficult. I kinda like his FFR more than mine. :D

Hey Nertea, just wanted to drop in and say hello and thank you for all your great work.  Like I said last time I spoke to you, I cant start a GameData file with out your packs. Your current works, as always, are top quality KSP material. 

Thanks man.

1 hour ago, technerd89 said:

Nertea, I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw this update. And I am tingling at the idea of using it for exactly what you very clearly intended it for...

rOwyB6S.jpg

Lol unavoidable I think

3 hours ago, Bluastrid said:

Any plans to “redux” your other mods now?

I’d love to see what you could do with the Launch Vehicles one!!

I think after all this amazing work, don't you think he deserves a bit of a break? :P

Pfff, I want an FFT Redux.

The stationparts have been a thorn in Nertea's eye for a while, at least he alwasy said he updated that pack only when he absolutely had to. So cool that he went full metal jacket and gave us a complet enew pack basically. I never expected the rotating habs :)

Only parts I'm holding onto the old Station Parts pack for are the Interdictor & Distributor station cores and the monoprop-storing Clamp-o-tron docking modules, at this point, and hoping that some of the wider pressurized crew-tubes in this new redux also get storage capability for life-support supplies

Edited by StevieC

@Nertea If you're interested in nit-picking, I can help find small issues for polish.

Starting with 2.5m:

Spoiler

25m
- PPD-10, PPD-12, PPD-24, PPD-AR, PPD-EVAC, and Processing Lab padding have slightly less specular; should match PPD-MULTI and Endcap-Type1; The EVAC doors padding is matched
- Alternatively, could change the specular on the PPD-MULTI and EndcapType1 to match PPD-12, PPD-AR, etc
- PPD-EVAC railing seems to have never gotten its specular set
- PPD-8, PPD-PTD and PPD-PTDFlat seems to have never gotten their specular set; should match PPD-MULTI (padding and windows)
- Endcap-Type2 padding seems to have never gotten its specular set; should match PPD-MULTI and Endcap-Type1
- Endcap-Type2 metal dome is fine, but the ribs are 100% specular like glass
- PPD-A1, A2, A3, PPD-F12M, PPD-20 do not have any specular layer at all; should be matched to PPD-MULTI

JoCPRI1.jpg

IRiVLvC.jpg

As far as the ones I would actually consider an issue when compared to other parts would be PPD-A1, A2, A3, PPD-F12M, PPD-20, and no shiny windows on PPD-8, PPD-PTD and PPD-PTDFlat.

Note that I am only applying metallic to the above screenshot to help make obvious the differences in specular values; in my actual TU config, all the padding defaults to the correct white as per design.

When removing metallicy, you can still see the differences in specular; it's just more difficult to make it out.

dkTWTC8.jpg

Congrats on release by the way; I would consider this as a necessary part mod for anyone wanting to build stations or bases.

Here's the config that I use to make comparisons if you are interested:

Spoiler

@REFLECTION_CONFIG[default]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	%enabled = true
}

@PART[*]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited&StationPartsExpansionRedux]:AFTER[zzzzStationParts]:HAS[@MODEL:HAS[#model[StationPartsExpansionRedux*]]] {
	MODULE {
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		sectionName = Shading
		currentTextureSet = StationPartsExpRedux_Default

TEXTURESET {
			name = StationPartsExpRedux_Default
		}
		TEXTURESET {
			name = StationPartsExpRedux_DefaultMetal
		}
	}
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	name = StationPartsExpRedux_Default
	title = Default
	recolorable = false

TEXTURE {
		shader	= SSTU/PBR/StockMetallicBumped

excludeMesh = flagTransform
		excludeMesh = GreenhouseGlass (1)
		excludeMesh = GreenhouseGlass (2)
		excludeMesh = GreenhousePlants (1)
		excludeMesh = Plant01

PROPERTY {
			name = _Color
			color = 1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 1.0
		}
	}
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	name = StationPartsExpRedux_DefaultMetal
	title = Default
	recolorable = false

TEXTURE {
		shader	= SSTU/PBR/StockMetallicBumped

excludeMesh = flagTransform
		excludeMesh = GreenhouseGlass (1)
		excludeMesh = GreenhouseGlass (2)
		excludeMesh = GreenhousePlants (1)
		excludeMesh = Plant01

PROPERTY {
			name = _Color
			color = 1.75,1.75,1.75,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.75
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 1.0
		}
	}
}

Edited by Electrocutor

Too shiny. Still looks plastic in that last screenshot @Electrocutor. Particularly on the right side of the screenshot where its reflecting light. That material covering those modules (heat-insulating material) aren't made of metal at all as far as I know and wouldn't reflect light like that. There are multiple layer of metal that are a part of the padding but as far as I know, you don't see those in these particular parts. I have tried a few of the TU cfgs out there for stock parts and other part packs and it appears that the metallic effects are overused a lot of the time. Too much of a cool thing can be bad.

Edited by Galileo

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Too shiny. Looks plastic in that screenshot @Electrocutor. Particularly on the right side of the screenshot where its reflecting light. 

That's why I called it an issue; that right module has no specular set, so the whole thing is 100% specular.

In that visible screenshot; the left-most has seemingly 0 specular, the middle hub has average, the top has slightly less than that, and the right is 100%. These values are not being set, but pulled directly from the parts' dds specular alpha channel.

From my perspective, they ought to be standardized to either match the middle or the top one.

Edited by Electrocutor

12 hours ago, Sudragon said:

A question about Far Future...I'm running Career mode and KCT, does this block the Antimatter factory? If not, when does it open?

I believe you need to unlock the Antimatter Power tech node first, which is deep into the technology tree, assuming you use the Community Tech Tree. This tech to unlock is set in the FFTSettings.cfg file (in the FarFutureTechnologies folder). I'm thinking that if you don't use the Community Tech Tree, you won't encounter or be able to unlock the antimatterPower node. I suppose if you run a stock tech tree, it would be best to adjust the relevant line in that config file with a node name that does appear in the stock tech tree.

When/if this mod comes out, I guess that setting needs some adjustment to detect the presence of CCT before setting antimatterPower as the default. I suppose of the stock 1000 science nodes, Experimental Science (experimentalScience in the config files) would be the most suitable default node.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.