[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

22 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I have 2-3 code-heavy projects I work on in the background, but tend to develop them when IRL work is less software focus, which hasn't happened for a while. So, yeah... no plans. SystemHeat would be the one I'd want to develop most. 

It does look like the Kerbalism team has in fact improved compatibility recently, so I think I can work with that for now. Heat simulation in Kerbalism is the main roadblock and they do seem to be working on that, so if I were to ask for anything from Radioactivity it would be a Restock-styled Geiger counter instrument. But of course, only if you darn well feel like it. 

On 12/13/2019 at 7:02 AM, Nertea said:

In a nutshell, KSP2 killed any motivation to work on it that might be left. The art is kinda meh and to redo it i'd want to ensure forward compatibility. Can't really do that until I know more about KSP2 and how its art looks and what parts it includes.

I think im starting to get it. Speaking of motivation - do i understand you right, that you want to move your mods to KSP2 with existing assets and gameplay? An you dont want invest FFT as we saw some of same parts in KSP2 trailer, right? Sorry, im very new to ksp modding, so i dont have clear picture. Though, im not new to modding in general, so i understand whats the price of running big projects.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if 2 and onward were released as KSP2 mods. If NFLV is gonna take 2 months, then it might well be the last big mod for KSP1.

Of course, that assumes no other delays to KSP2, KSP2 not sucking enough for modders to skip it, and Nertea staying in KSP2 modding.

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if 2 and onward were released as KSP2 mods. If NFLV is gonna take 2 months, then it might well be the last big mod for KSP1.

Of course, that assumes no other delays to KSP2, KSP2 not sucking enough for modders to skip it, and Nertea staying in KSP2 modding.

hm, i thought KSP 2 was delayed for the next year, so it can be released even at March 2021. Do you think modders will sit still all this time?

1 minute ago, Finnyk said:

hm, i thought KSP 2 was delayed for the next year

Into the next fiscal year. Which starts April 2020. You should really get your facts straight. The spring 2020 deadline is still current, it's just not in the first two weeks of spring.

28 minutes ago, Finnyk said:

hm, i thought KSP 2 was delayed for the next year, so it can be released even at March 2021. Do you think modders will sit still all this time?

So far all we know is that it was delayed until the next *Fiscal* year.  Which means it could be as early as April 2020.

Best to wait and see.

10 hours ago, Finnyk said:

I think im starting to get it. Speaking of motivation - do i understand you right, that you want to move your mods to KSP2 with existing assets and gameplay? An you dont want invest FFT as we saw some of same parts in KSP2 trailer, right? Sorry, im very new to ksp modding, so i dont have clear picture. Though, im not new to modding in general, so i understand whats the price of running big projects.

I don't know if I want to do anything with KSP2 yet. I might retire. @Beale somehow managed to escape this insanity.

If I do do anything for KSP2 though, I want to ensure that it is less work than doing everything from scratch. 

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

I don't know if I want to do anything with KSP2 yet. I might retire. @Beale somehow managed to escape this insanity.

If I do do anything for KSP2 though, I want to ensure that it is less work than doing everything from scratch. 

You deserve a break if that's what you need. I'll miss your work though.

For years I loved playing KSP, but only with your mods and those like SSTU, RSS and a bunch of smaller mods. Since 1.3.1 I've not really updated to a newer version as every time most of the mods I use were up to date, squad came with another version, and another, and another, each time with mods playing the catch up game... Now 1.9.0 has been released and I find that I have already given up on this game several versions ago and can no longer be bothered. I can only imagine how demotivating it is for modders that need to spend so much time updating the mod instead of enjoying making new content/features. The utmost respect for you, sarbian, shadowmage, roverdude and all the others out there, spending their own free time making a meh game into something truly awesome... Thank you.

@Jimbodiah to be fair I think we need to consider where ksp cape from. I can’t stand stock at this point either but I also remember putting well over a thousand hours into it. Ksp was unprecedented. Also, and I don’t mean to take anything away from the modders, but they get to focus on individual aspects and it’s out of passion. The employees have a whole game to manage and dead lines to meet. It came from nothing and it’s 10 years old at this point. I’m looking forward to 2.0, wouldn’t mind if they stopped there. And I think KSP 2 will be a lot better out of the box. 

I've put in approximately 5000 hours of playtime, not even counting time spent on mission reports and making badges and such. Yeah, it's frustrating when a new game version breaks stuff, but I still love these dumb little green peeps and their insane stunts.

6 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

What's the compatible version of ksp for the current version of fft?(The art looks fine to me, so I will add it with other NF mods when I do a more modded game.)

Also, will NF aeronautics work in 1.8?(Probably not, but still want to be sure)

If  you get the WildBlueIndustries Actuators dependency from another WBI mod, NF Aeronautics will probably work fine.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, Nertea said:

[Error: integer number too large]. Far Future Technologies

I probably should never have started this one. Here's the deal:

1. It overlaps with KSP2 (-200 points to motivation)
  2. It was started in an artistic transitionary period of my work and looks really bad, so basically none of it can be salvaged. This an example of what we need to get to to match newer work. I started to do a rework with some of the engines last year and abandoned it because half-measures weren't enough. 
  3. Therefore... it's a lot of work (very large parts, and many of them). Probably 6 months. 
  4. I don't like releasing sub-par content, so no I will not fix it up, make it simpler or anything else.

This is why I am not likely to do *any* work on this project anytime soon. Sorry, but that's how it is with volunteered time. This could always change at the drop of a hat, but there's no to inquire - I will inform you all right here if there is any change. 

Saddest thing I've ever read on this forum. But still, thank you form completely not abandoning it. This is my favourite project on this forum. I'm learning modelling and texturing, maybe some day I will be able to make my own cool futuristic engines mod. 

I also found some minor bugs:

- Rhino Engine surface attachment bug (attaches from botom node) [Restock]
- resource converters are fautly displaying "start converting ore to methalox" (instead of "Start ISRU: LCH4+Ox" is "#LOC_Cryotanks_ISRU.." [Cryotanks]
- In PLTO Bus and PLTO Compact bus endcaps are faulty aligned to the bus itself  [NFT Exp] [all newest versions to this date (20.02.20)]

Sorry for posting it here, but I forgot my password to github.

Edited by MrFancyPL
new content

Yall can watch that new KSP2 video to get further evidence on why I"m not working on FFT. 

On 2/20/2020 at 7:06 AM, MrFancyPL said:

- Rhino Engine surface attachment bug (attaches from botom node) [Restock]
- resource converters are fautly displaying "start converting ore to methalox" (instead of "Start ISRU: LCH4+Ox" is "#LOC_Cryotanks_ISRU.." [Cryotanks]
- In PLTO Bus and PLTO Compact bus endcaps are faulty aligned to the bus itself  [NFT Exp] [all newest versions to this date (20.02.20)]

Sorry for posting it here, but I forgot my password to github.

Well this is probably the third absolute worst place to put this (worst would be curse, second worst reddit). I mean, I appreciate it, but least put it in the right thread, I don't look for bug reports in this one at all.  

I have a bit of artist's block with NFLV right now, so I am working on blocking out some 1.875m station part concepts. These are very early work with low detail but they get the shapes across. 

concepts.png

Top row is the current 1.25m part set (from left to right:core, hab, utility module), next row is the planned 1.875m core parts (core, hab, utility, lab), last row is some other things (hitchiker for reference, multi-hub, crew tubes x2). I'd appreciate thoughts before work on this gets too far. 

Well this is probably the third absolute worst place to put this (worst would be curse, second worst reddit). I mean, I appreciate it, but least put it in the right thread, I don't look for bug reports in this one at all.

Sorry, next time I will do it right. 

Theese parts look pretty awesome, I see theese babies are inspired by the appearance of Russian ISS segments (or Mir, they are pretty similar). Which is nice. I can't propose any changes on these parts, but have you considered to make crewed adapter module inspired by the MIRs Spektr module ? 

Also, do you considier at some point making some inflatable ground habitats/hydroponics modules for SSPEx? 

Edited by MrFancyPL

I have a bit of artist's block with NFLV right now, so I am working on blocking out some 1.875m station part concepts. These are very early work with low detail but they get the shapes across. 

concepts.png

Top row is the current 1.25m part set (from left to right:core, hab, utility module), next row is the planned 1.875m core parts (core, hab, utility, lab), last row is some other things (hitchiker for reference, multi-hub, crew tubes x2). I'd appreciate thoughts before work on this gets too far. 

Amazing work as always, some things I'd change though. The 1.875m core doesn't have the octagonal shape that the other cores do, making it a bit out of place. The lab should probably have round windows similar to the other labs, allowing for easy identification as one. Everything else looks fine, I'd add a shorter 1.875 hab in addition to the long one, for use on smaller ships.

Yay! Expect some more iteration on this in the next few days. 

1 hour ago, coyotesfrontier said:

Amazing work as always, some things I'd change though. The 1.875m core doesn't have the octagonal shape that the other cores do, making it a bit out of place. The lab should probably have round windows similar to the other labs, allowing for easy identification as one. Everything else looks fine, I'd add a shorter 1.875 hab in addition to the long one, for use on smaller ships.

If you look closely the truss structure on the core has an octagonal layout, so it's kinda halfway. This will be clearer with more detail, I hope. Shorter hab is a 'probably' - notice the way the hab is divided in two parts already. Still, that's 4x IVAs to do already and that would make it 5!

The window shapes overall aren't final. For one, they will be inset when the meshes get finalized - that's a complex geometric operation that is best done last. I will think about round windows for the lab at that point, but considering the number of round windows that already exist, I would specifically not want to use that as a singular differentiator. For the labs I've done, I've usually used specific expanses of open metal to represent a useful surface for attaching experiments. 

2 hours ago, MrFancyPL said:

Theese parts look pretty awesome, I see theese babies are inspired by the appearance of Russian ISS segments (or Mir, they are pretty similar). Which is nice. I can't propose any changes on these parts, but have you considered to make crewed adapter module inspired by the MIRs Spektr module ? 

Also, do you considier at some point making some inflatable ground habitats/hydroponics modules for SSPEx? 

Year there is a mix of ISS ROS and MIr as inspiration. There will definitely be some adapters, but they're going to be simple (check the current ones in SSPX). I guess you mean the large cone at the 'top' of Specktr - I think that would be better accomplished by adding a nosecone to the end of the Utility module (which itself is a mix of Spektr and Kristall).

I'm not really planning any more inflatables overall. 

Edited by Nertea

4 hours ago, Nertea said:

I am working on blocking out some 1.875m station part concepts. These are very early work with low detail but they get the shapes across. 

These look great, and would be much appreciated. I've always just upsized the 1.25 meter parts with a patch to get 1.875. At this size I can make the Russian end of the ISS look believable with only SPRX and NF parts.

As far as adapters,  the main thing I found lacking is a spherical docking port node.

Thanks for your work!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.