[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

On 12/12/2018 at 3:36 AM, helaeon said:

The USI warp drive works pretty well... I may have had a hand in making it though so filter that as you may.

I know it works good, but I'd love to see a warp drive that is better integrated with the tech tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to show off a ship using the very long fusion engine. This was part of my Duna mission. I think I may have posted a link to part of it previously, but I needed to send a refueler, so I built up a new engine module using the Mirror Cell Fusion Engine. It's bristling with thermal radiators to allow long burns (it creates a crapton of heat), but it's pretty efficient. Coupled with some hydrogen scoops, and I can go pretty far with this sucker. Anyway, here it is:

yqZZjyB.png

11 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Wanted to show off a ship using the very long fusion engine. This was part of my Duna mission. I think I may have posted a link to part of it previously, but I needed to send a refueler, so I built up a new engine module using the Mirror Cell Fusion Engine. It's bristling with thermal radiators to allow long burns (it creates a crapton of heat), but it's pretty efficient. Coupled with some hydrogen scoops, and I can go pretty far with this sucker. Anyway, here it is:

yqZZjyB.png

Lander with NSW engine?

On 1/7/2019 at 9:00 PM, Xurkitree said:

I do want to give this mod a spin, but I would like to know what's in it and what is to be done - @Nertea?

Simple way..this is how I preview mods...

• Do a clean install of KSP...call it KSP_TEST  :)  
  • Install The Janitors Closet
  • Install the mod you want to test along with any dependencies
  • Load the game, use Janitors Closet to turn off all parts except for your test mod
  • Preview your mod

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, bartekkru99 said:

Hey, are you planning more engines that allow in-atmosphere operations? Maybe some kind of fusion thermal rockets/jets?  Maybe a system similar to KSPI where you take a reactor of your choosing and attach a nozzle to it.

There's already Near Future Aerodynatics though.

Just now, GrandProtectorDark said:

Don't really see a reason or need for Fusion based airbreathing engines.

But you see a need for fusion rockets? This mod already goes over board with powerful engines and I think that fusion jets would allow for really cool spaceplanes.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:59 PM, bartekkru99 said:

But you see a need for fusion rockets? This mod already goes over board with powerful engines and I think that fusion jets would allow for really cool spaceplanes.

Fusions makes sense for rockets because it produces extremely hot and fast exhausts with high efficiency, but a high start up power requirement which can be facilitated by reactors and solar. Fission makes more sense for aero engines since all you have to do is heat up the air with a block of hot metal which keeps things simple, and only needs to be started once with throttle controlled by air intake volume.

This isn't overboard, it's based on theoretically possible and highly practical engine designs.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:48 AM, Asmosdeus said:

Fusions makes sense for rockets because it produces extremely hot and fast exhausts with high efficiency, but a high start up power requirement which can be facilitated by reactors and solar. Fission makes more sense for aero engines since all you have to do is heat up the air with a block of hot metal which keeps things simple, and only needs to be started once with throttle controlled by air intake volume.

This isn't overboard, it's based on theoretically possible and highly practical engine designs.

The thing about nuclear powered aircraft is that fission reactors require a lot of shielding which I think wouldn't be the case a for an aneutronic fusion reactor and of course you could argue that you might need a fission reactor to sustain fusion, but the truth is that you probably can just as well have a much lighter battery/capacitor pack to kick start the fusion and just go from there. I also believe that using fusion reactor would increase thrust significantly as it is capable of outputting more energy than fission.

And by going overboard I don't mean exceeding physical limits of what could be achieved irl, because I know that all the things featured in this mod have a some kind of scientific foundation, but I'm talking about making the game easier.

14 hours ago, bartekkru99 said:

but I'm talking about making the game easier.

The KSPI alike setup of having to connect a nozzle to a reactor is pretty much the opposite of that tho.

There'S a also a point where making it easier just wouldn't really make sense anymore. 
I personally wouldn't want this mod to go into the direction of OPT of "game balance".

5 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

The KSPI alike setup of having to connect a nozzle to a reactor is pretty much the opposite of that tho.

There'S a also a point where making it easier just wouldn't really make sense anymore. 
I personally wouldn't want this mod to go into the direction of OPT of "game balance".

I didn't say that fusion jets require KSPI-like system, I just pointed it out as one of multiple solutions and I think that KSPI setup could be done much more intuitively that than what we see in actual KSPI, the problem with KSPI is that there are too many different types engines that require different kinds of energy which require different kinds of reactors (which require different types of fuel), requiring different kinds of a electric generators. It could be easily solved by having one type reactor for fission, one for fusion and one for antimatter (with size variations of course) with all of them able to connect with any thermal engine.

I get where you guys are coming from, but I still think it would be cool to have a higher TWR alternative to fission jets and I think that the fact that they would require this kick-starting energy makes them unique enough, Near Future Propulsion already adds a lot of engines that are quite similar to eachother.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, kjack1111 said:

Sorry to necropost this thread(?), but to answer the inevitable question:
Yes, this does appear to work with 1.6.1, pending further testing. Sorry for any annoyance/rulebreaking.

The 1.5.1 dev release should work fine on 1.6.1.
Just make sure to use Up to date version of all dependencies.
You may also want to Install Heatcontrol, as the Stock radiators might not be that sufficient for Cooling

Just now, GrandProtectorDark said:

The 1.5.1 dev release should work fine on 1.6.1.
Just make sure to use Up to date version of all dependencies.
You may also want to Install Heatcontrol, as the Stock radiators might not be that sufficient for Cooling

Sorry for appearing rude, but I was confirming that the 1.5.1 release does work on 1.6/1.6.1 (unsure on 1.6 because it is unavailable for download)
Also, absolutely download Heatcontrol. It does work, but it still has the heat problems (which is a shame.)

11 minutes ago, kjack1111 said:

Sorry for appearing rude, but I was confirming that the 1.5.1 release does work on 1.6/1.6.1 (unsure on 1.6 because it is unavailable for download)
Also, absolutely download Heatcontrol. It does work, but it still has the heat problems (which is a shame.)

You probably just have insufficient amounts of Radiators.
Look at how much KW or MW of heat the engine(or reactor) produces and compare it to how much the radiator can radiate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.