[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

Yay! I have never managed to work this fast consistently before :P. You are all reaping the benefits of an unprecedented amount of motivation.

Last thing for today: some FX tests for the RS-68. I really like how they turned out (not really realistic, I know, but I wanted something badass :P).

engineFXtest.jpg

What do we think? Yea? Nay?

Yay! I have never managed to work this fast consistently before :P. You are all reaping the benefits of an unprecedented amount of motivation.

Last thing for today: some FX tests for the RS-68. I really like how they turned out (not really realistic, I know, but I wanted something badass :P).

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/engineFXtest.jpg

Well, it's somewhat realistic if you use smokescreen and get rid of the star when the atmo pressure drops behind a certain point :P

But yeah, they look pretty badass

The Effects on the RS-68 are just like Jeb... VERY BadAss.

An engine model request. Could we get engines WITHOUT the mounting rings? Ie the node is at the narrow point of the engine pump/thrust structure assembly. I have many part mods and I really do not like it when the engine ring is larger than the diameter of the tank by a few percentage points. All of the FASA engines, for example, have gone this route and they are EXCEEDINGLY compatible with any tank size.

I like it. Though if you're concerned about realism, you could keep this effect to a different engine class instead? I mean, I realize that all of the engines you modeled here are hydrolox engines, but who knows what else is going to come out of your massive bout of motivation... :D

Great. Now I feel the urge for fusion engines, something you won't deliver due to being out of the scope of NFP.

:P

Disclaimer: not confirmed for release in any specific NF pack yet.

The Effects on the RS-68 are just like Jeb... VERY BadAss.

An engine model request. Could we get engines WITHOUT the mounting rings? Ie the node is at the narrow point of the engine pump/thrust structure assembly. I have many part mods and I really do not like it when the engine ring is larger than the diameter of the tank by a few percentage points. All of the FASA engines, for example, have gone this route and they are EXCEEDINGLY compatible with any tank size.

Uh, I don't think I'll do this, reason being that the incorporation of the gimbal hardware into the upper ring. You're welcome to do it yourself though.. not that hard to move a node if you don't want it to be messy.

I like it. Though if you're concerned about realism, you could keep this effect to a different engine class instead? I mean, I realize that all of the engines you modeled here are hydrolox engines, but who knows what else is going to come out of your massive bout of motivation... :D

Disclaimer: not confirmed for release in any specific NF pack yet.

Indeed, who knows :P. The realism comment was more just to inform people that I am indeed aware that this is not realistic. I have an upper stage effect that I'm almost liking better than this one, so we'll have to see which I'll use.

p.s. last time I heard, github worked just fine for some people. (winks)

Well, I'm not terribly sure what that means. I have many mirrors for release and am not interested in another.

Textured RL-10B.

rl10Textured.png

Textured Vulcain 2

vulcainTextured.png

Textured J2X

j2xTextured.png

LE-7A is coming along, but not ready for the thread yet . See if I can't unwrap the other engines tomorrow.

Nertea, these are looking incredible, great work! Your name is synonymous with "quality". ;)

I'd like to pass on some requests:

1. Do the turbopump exhausts have separate gimbal transforms?

2. Would it be possible to get the J2X with a smaller thrust structure for easier clustering? Like roughly nozzle size?

Again, many thanks!

Well, I'm not terribly sure what that means. I have many mirrors for release and am not interested in another.

Textured RL-10B.

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/rl10Textured.png

Textured Vulcain 2

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/vulcainTextured.png

Textured J2X

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/j2xTextured.png

LE-7A is coming along, but not ready for the thread yet . See if I can't unwrap the other engines tomorrow.

These look amazing! I've been in dire need for better second stage engines for a while now.

Textured RL-10B.

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/rl10Textured.png

Textured Vulcain 2

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/vulcainTextured.png

Textured J2X

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/j2xTextured.png

Between you and Ven, my next save is going to look gorgeous :D

Nertea, these are looking incredible, great work! Your name is synonymous with "quality". ;)

I'd like to pass on some requests:

1. Do the turbopump exhausts have separate gimbal transforms?

2. Would it be possible to get the J2X with a smaller thrust structure for easier clustering? Like roughly nozzle size?

Again, many thanks!

Thanks!

1. The ones that where could see actual hardware for gimbals have pistons and such modeled. That's pretty much the RS68, I'm not sure how the vectoring would work on the others. Can you enlighten me? I can at least include transforms.

2. I am planning to release a separate modified pack that removes the support structures and gimbal pistons (well, depending on how I feel I could move the gimbals a bit). These would also be scaled correctly as I've inflated/shrunk the overall size.

Thanks!

1. The ones that where could see actual hardware for gimbals have pistons and such modeled. That's pretty much the RS68, I'm not sure how the vectoring would work on the others. Can you enlighten me? I can at least include transforms.

NathanKell wanted to know if there were transforms on the exhausts. I'll send him here to explain. Might have something to do with adding HotRockets/RealPlume effects
2. I am planning to release a separate modified pack that removes the support structures and gimbal pistons (well, depending on how I feel I could move the gimbals a bit). These would also be scaled correctly as I've inflated/shrunk the overall size.
That sounds great, good to see you're enjoying this process as much as I'm enjoying the results. :)

Those textures looks incredible! I'm actually modelling an engine myself and I'm going at 1/10th of the speed :P, and let's just say that the experience has boosted my respect for artists like you quite a lot!

NathanKell wanted to know if there were transforms on the exhausts. I'll send him here to explain. Might have something to do with adding HotRockets/RealPlume effects

That's probably what he means. You need to put a transform (like for thrust) under the exit of the turbopump, so people can add an effect (or even thrust for gimballed exhaust) to it. Naturally only open-cycle engines have this thing, and not even all of them, since some of them like the j-2, the vulcain-2 (but not the vulcain-1) or the f-1 dump their exhausts into the nozzle skirt.

Edited by Sage
spelling

Those textures looks incredible! I'm actually modelling an engine myself and I'm going at 1/10th of the speed :P, and let's just say that the experience has boosted my respect for artists like you quite a lot!

Thanks! Its totally a lot of fun, and a good change from the other parts I was working on.

That's probably what he means. You need to put a transform (like for thrust) under the exit of the turbopump, so people can add an effect (or even thrust for gimballed exhaust) to it. Naturally only open-cycle engines have this thing, and not even all of them, since some of them like the j-2, the vulcain-2 (but not the vulcain-1) or the f-1 dump their exhausts into the nozzle skirt.

Yes, pretty much I just need to know which ones and where. I'll put the transforms on.

Curious then - what are the two large pipes down the side of the Vulcain 2 then? I assumed it was turbopump exhaust.

Curious then - what are the two large pipes down the side of the Vulcain 2 then? I assumed it was turbopump exhaust.

I had to check around myself, too, but that was the vulcain-1

Vulcain_engine_of_Europe_s_Ariane_5_launcher_node_full_image_2.jpg

while the vulcain2 is closed off, and the loop actually dumps the exhaust in the nozzle skirt, so I suggest to scale it down until it touch just barely the main wall (hopefully it won't affect UVs but maybe the AO map only)

164_epcbil2_lg.jpg

Braun%20Vulcain2%20Motor.png

Edited by Sage
spoiler big images

Sage nailed it. Vulcain (1) has those pipes, and I would think that their nozzles gimbal; if so, can you make the nozzles part of a (named separate from the main bell) gimbal transform? They also should have thrust transforms (named separate from the main thrust transform). Lack's X-405 is an example of this: it has 2 gimbal transform names (one for the bell, two named the same for the two exhaust nozzles) and 2 thrust transform names (one for the bell, two named the same for the two exhaust points).

For Vulcain 2, it appears that the VEB uses 400N hydrazine thrusters for roll control after SRM separation, so Vulcain 2, as Sage's pics show, exhausts into the nozzle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.