[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

Wow man

bJCTWf2.gif

I really like the service bay as well. Maybe you can build some ladders in so we can climb walls and out of the side hatches as well as a retractable ladder for that bottom hatch? Surface ataching stock extendable ladders... Just isn't it.

Wow man

http://i.imgur.com/bJCTWf2.gif

I really like the service bay as well. Maybe you can build some ladders in so we can climb walls and out of the side hatches as well as a retractable ladder for that bottom hatch? Surface ataching stock extendable ladders... Just isn't it.

I think there may be a ladder collider built into the inside of the bottom hatch door. It would certainly be awesome if Nertea tweaked a ladder pattern onto the texture and made that thing very much climbable.

This mod presents a problem for me, with these big honkin engines.

I make my SSTOs small, sharp, and sleek, and named after after cutting instruments.

Now I'm gonna have to come up with names based on axes, hammers, bludgeons, and the like.

I have a suspicion that these engines actually work by frightening the ground away from them

I have a suspicion that these engines actually work by frightening the ground away from them

So. F****ng. Badass.

LINK

Definitely needs to be mentioned somewhere around those engines :D

Edited by Wolfox

Hah, I'll throw that somewhere in the Broadsword description.

Today, progress was great! As is evident, I finished off work on all the engines, their emissives and sounds. Lots of legacy parts got tweaks as well, the Yellowjacket got its shroud, the endcaps of the old intakes and intake pods got changed to the new fan style, and all the old textures that I'm keeping got converted to dds. Additionally, I completed revisions to the collision boxes and drag cubes of all the parts. Finally, I did a vague balancing pass over everything, though it's probably not awesome yet. What's left... well, basically, textures on the blunt and flat tail/nose parts and everything to do with the tail cargo bay. That last one I'll leave untextured for a bit, I'm working on a plugin that'll allow the ramp to be lowered a variable distance and that'll need testing before I commit to an unwrap party. I'm expecting a test release tomorrow, then I have to take a break and fix NFP/NFE.

edit - oh, I textured the crew cabin!

mk4crewcab2.png

Edited by Nertea

Today, progress was great! As is evident, I finished off work on all the engines, their emissives and sounds. Lots of legacy parts got tweaks as well, the Yellowjacket got its shroud, the endcaps of the old intakes and intake pods got changed to the new fan style, and all the old textures that I'm keeping got converted to dds. Additionally, I completed revisions to the collision boxes and drag cubes of all the parts. Finally, I did a vague balancing pass over everything, though it's probably not awesome yet. What's left... well, basically, textures on the blunt and flat tail/nose parts and everything to do with the tail cargo bay. That last one I'll leave untextured for a bit, I'm working on a plugin that'll allow the ramp to be lowered a variable distance and that'll need testing before I commit to an unwrap party. I'm expecting a test release tomorrow, then I have to take a break and fix NFP/NFE.

http://www.areadenialgames.com/ksp/mk4crewcab2.png

I'm not going to lie, I do like this.

But I would rather have the option of a double deck monster of a crew cabin with doors all over the place and all the bells, whistles, and nuclear scramjets (Jeb insisted on the last one) for all my 'oh god, that's a huge station' recrewing convenience. I mean, what would I put down under that, anyway? If I need cargo space, I'll grab a dedicated cargo section.

Addendum: Basically, too little crew utility to bother actually using it. Why bother when I can send a smaller Mk 3 instead? Like I said, the IDEA of having cargo space underneath it is nice, but I can't see a practical use for it, and I'd likely end up having to waste space and mass on a second crew section for my large ships and stations which I could spend on more fuel or cargo.

Edited by CptRichardson

I'm expecting a test release tomorrow, then I have to take a break and fix NFP/NFE.

Will it be available via CKAN? Can´t wait!

Looks really, really good. Are IVA´s planned?

Yes, please do. Nertea is the new porkjet!

- - - Updated - - -

And has been for a while. All his mods are stockalike.

The reason I don't think this will ever happen is that where Spaceplane Plus filled a hole in stock, all of Nertea's mods extend stock to fit roles the vanilla game was never meant to do. Nertea's stuff is entirely out of scope of vanilla KSP.

The reason I don't think this will ever happen is that where Spaceplane Plus filled a hole in stock, all of Nertea's mods extend stock to fit roles the vanilla game was never meant to do. Nertea's stuff is entirely out of scope of vanilla KSP.

...While retaining stock feeling, just expanding it. Thats why we love them!

http://www.areadenialgames.com/ksp/mk4crewcab2.png

Awesome! The plugin sounds cool. Are you thinking infernal robotics type variable, where you can control it as it goes, or adaptive type where it just opens until it hits something?

Awesome! The plugin sounds cool. Are you thinking infernal robotics type variable, where you can control it as it goes, or adaptive type where it just opens until it hits something?

I imagine the simplest solution would be somewhat IR-like. It probably is going to have a tweakable end point on the animation to allow adjustment of where the ramp stops. I can see this being advantageous for different landing gear configurations and payloads (my tanker rovers have a very low tolerance for sharp changes in slope and got high-sided on the old ramp).

I imagine the simplest solution would be somewhat IR-like. It probably is going to have a tweakable end point on the animation to allow adjustment of where the ramp stops. I can see this being advantageous for different landing gear configurations and payloads (my tanker rovers have a very low tolerance for sharp changes in slope and got high-sided on the old ramp).

Or it could be motorless when opening, simply dropping doors on a pivot joint. Then, player could adjust platform lenght to modify slope (If it will be made of two telescopic parts).

I'd just like to point out something here, because it seems that people are eagerly jumping on the bandwagon after one person started it:

Posting reaction images/gifs is technically against the forum rules (if posted alone), and frowned upon in general. I'm not a moderator, but I'd like to advise caution - maybe someday a real moderator will come by here and start handing out infractions. Better play it safe, guys :P Try and downsize them a bit, and make sure your post has useful content besides the image. Or better yet: use a link!

Will it be available via CKAN? Can´t wait!

Test releases, no; that would be irresponsible. People would randomly download it without realizing that it's a test release that may cause bugs or be unfinished.

The full release, yes.

Edited by Streetwind

Or it could be motorless when opening, simply dropping doors on a pivot joint. Then, player could adjust platform lenght to modify slope (If it will be made of two telescopic parts).

That would be cool, but I recall there being some sort of issue with multiple animations on a part? Not sure if that's still a thing. I would imagine, though, that if Nertea does go with an IR-style ramp, you could then attach an actual IR rail to it and put some plates on the rail to form the telescoping ramp you describe.

The more I think about it the more excited I get!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.