[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

22 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

...and there are two nice little landing legs in Transparent (Command) Pods.

Is there? I've never used that mod - I'll be sure to go and check it out. ^_^

In the meantime, I wait with interest on what Mr Neatea creates next.

Carry on :sticktongue:

On 11/26/2019 at 4:55 PM, oniontrain said:

Are the really awesome looking metal shaders on the cryo tanks from Textures Unlimited or have they been done with the new stock shaders? It makes the stock donut tank look like crap.

They are my own work yes. 

Stock tanks are made of orange peels so I'd hope those look better.

• 2 weeks later...

Nertea I apologize if you’ve been asked this a million times, but I was wondering if you plan to continue FFT at some point in the future. I don’t know the details but I know there is an issue with the thermal system. It would just be very much appreciated because I (and others) and looking at doing a JNSQ + GEP career and need some options for those 25k Dv missions. I don’t plan on running Interstellar Extended anymore because of the file size and it doesn’t seem to be supported anymore. Idk If you can dial some stuff back or what but it would be veeeeeeeery much appreciated. Thankyou for all you do, big fan of you and I’m looking forward to NFexploration.

On 12/11/2019 at 12:48 PM, Big Katz said:

Nertea I apologize if you’ve been asked this a million times, but I was wondering if you plan to continue FFT at some point in the future. I don’t know the details but I know there is an issue with the thermal system. It would just be very much appreciated because I (and others) and looking at doing a JNSQ + GEP career and need some options for those 25k Dv missions. I don’t plan on running Interstellar Extended anymore because of the file size and it doesn’t seem to be supported anymore. Idk If you can dial some stuff back or what but it would be veeeeeeeery much appreciated. Thankyou for all you do, big fan of you and I’m looking forward to NFexploration.

In a nutshell, KSP2 killed any motivation to work on it that might be left. The art is kinda meh and to redo it i'd want to ensure forward compatibility. Can't really do that until I know more about KSP2 and how its art looks and what parts it includes.

41 minutes ago, Nertea said:

In a nutshell, KSP2 killed any motivation to work on it that might be left. The art is kinda meh and to redo it i'd want to ensure forward compatibility. Can't really do that until I know more about KSP2 and how its art looks and what parts it includes.

Very understandable. Well I gotta say nertea I appreciate all you’ve done for ksp 1 and look forward to your ksp 2 work. And I personally think your “meh” work is better than 90% of the communities good work. 

as a follow up, what do you mean by forward compatible? Like porting ksp 1 mods to 2? And do you expect ksp 2 to not compete with 1 like I’ve seen some folks say, or do you think it’ll essentially have everything ksp 1 does and more?

10 hours ago, Big Katz said:

as a follow up, what do you mean by forward compatible? Like porting ksp 1 mods to 2? And do you expect ksp 2 to not compete with 1 like I’ve seen some folks say, or do you think it’ll essentially have everything ksp 1 does and more?

I mean that I'd conceptually want to be able to port the models to KSP2, which we're pretty sure uses a different shading model, so the new textures should be built with that in the back of my mind. Current ones are not. 

Moving towards release (maybe Christmas???). Here's the planned scoop (green = done, ingame and just needs balancing)

•  8 new probe cores
    •   Probodobodyne RND: 0.625m cylindrical probe core. Metal, Gold Foil, and Silver Foil variants.
    •   Probodobodyne DSK: 1.25m cylindrical probe core. Metal, Gold Foil, and Silver Foil variants.
    •   Probodobodyne CYL: 1.875m cylindrical probe core. Metal, Gold Foil, and Silver Foil variants.
    •   Probodobodyne REKT: medium square probe core. Metal, Gold Foil, and Silver Foil variants. 
    •   Probodobodyne SQR: large square probe core. Metal, Gold Foil, and Silver Foil variants.
    •   Probodobodyne STP: medum octagonal probe core. Metal, Gold Foil, and Silver Foil variants.
    •   Probodobodyne CHFR: large octagonal probe core. Metal, Gold Foil, and Silver Foil variants.
    •   Probodobodyne PLTO: large tetrahedral probe core. Metal, Gold Foil, and Silver Foil variants.
  • Many probe buses - hollow structures for your probes
    •   ADPT-A: 0.625 to 1.25m cylindrical adapter bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   ADPT-B: 1.25m to 1.875m cylindrical adapter bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   OKTO: OKTO footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   QBE: QBE footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   HECS: HECS footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   HECS2 : HECS2 footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   RND: RND footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   DSK: DSK footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   CYL: CYL footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   REKT: REKT footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   SQR: SQR footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   STP: STP footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   CHFR: CHFR footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
    •   PLTO: PLTO footprint bus. Metal, Gold Foil, Silver Foil and Skeletal surfaces. 
  •  Probe-styled multipurpose fuel tanks
    •   Tiny radial probe fuel tank: stores LFO, Mono, Xenon by default
    •   Tiny stack probe fuel tank: stores LFO, Mono, Xenon by default
    •   Small short radial probe fuel tank: stores LFO, Mono, Xenon by default
    •   Small medium radial probe fuel tank: stores LFO, Mono, Xenon by default
    •   Small long radial probe fuel tank: stores LFO, Mono, Xenon by default
    •   1.875m-ish short probe fuel tank: stores LFO, Mono, Xenon by default
    •   1.875m-ish medium probe fuel tank: stores LFO, Mono, Xenon by default
    •   1.875m-ish long probe fuel tank: stores LFO, Mono, Xenon by default
  • Small satellite/lander parts
    •  Micro CMG: tiny reaction wheel
    •  Micro Landing Strut: tiny landing leg
    •  Micro Battery: tiny battery

In addition, lots and lots of antennae.

So antennae! I think i'm going to add a new gameplay concept - the Reflector. Generally we have currently the Direct and the Relay antennae. These do... what they have to do and I'm adding about 15 more of these. However, I've made some reflector dishes that sit off the side of comm satellites, e.g these:

three.png

Important difference with these from most dishes is that they don't have an antenna feed - the part that actually transmits the data to the antenna to bounced off. Using these as standard antennas would be a little off realistically. So, enter the Reflector antenna type, an antenna without a feed. Reflectors...

• Do nothing by default
  • Need to be combined with any other antenna
  • Enhance the combined antenna's properties considerably depending on the reflector's size.  

So you can, for example, construct combination antennas with differing powers. I will provide a couple of 'feed' antenna models - tiny things with poor performance designed specifically for this purpose, but you will be able to use any antenna. Using one of the large RA-100s, for example, with the 18m class reflector, will provide a considerable range. 

Here are a few more pics of WIP things:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG?width=1435&height=1341

Capture.PNG?width=1608&height=1341

21 hours ago, Big Katz said:

Amazing as always. Will the bus and tanks work like the system universal storage has with snap on points?

Nope, they're just tanks. You can put them wherever. 

Also, goddman it I'm done with this forever.

Edited by Nertea

28 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Nope, they're just tanks. You can put them wherever. 

Also, goddman it I'm done with this forever.

Sorry nertea I misunderstood. I imagined singular tanks that plugged into the busses but I see how it works now. Didn’t mean to compare you work or mean for it to be a comment on the quality. Appreciate what you do.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:26 AM, Big Katz said:

Sorry nertea I misunderstood. I imagined singular tanks that plugged into the busses but I see how it works now. Didn’t mean to compare you work or mean for it to be a comment on the quality. Appreciate what you do.

Oh I hope you didn't think the "i'm done" comment was about yours... it was about the annoyance of rigging that massive animated dish.

Which is now ingame. Need to finish textures but we are getting there...

screenshot11.png

Hi there, love your work Nertea, keep it up! I was just wondering if you are planning to include RemoteTech configs for NFE upon release or if that's not a compatibility we will be seeing for now. Just planning out my modlist for 1.8.1, was thinking of doing a remotetech game but honestly would rather have these parts if I have to choose...

4 hours ago, RyGuy_McFly said:

Hi there, love your work Nertea, keep it up! I was just wondering if you are planning to include RemoteTech configs for NFE upon release or if that's not a compatibility we will be seeing for now. Just planning out my modlist for 1.8.1, was thinking of doing a remotetech game but honestly would rather have these parts if I have to choose...

I never personally write patches for mods I don't control, but you are welcome to determine how such a patch would be written and submit it to the repository.

The mod is now in a stable enough state to be testable. You can get it from the repo, as usual with experimental things, don't use it in a game you really care about. Relevant information:

• 8 new probe cores
  • Many new probe buses - hollow structures, generally one for each probe type
  •  Added several probe-styled multipurpose fuel tanks
  • Added a few small satellite/lander parts
    •  Micro CMG: tiny reaction wheel
    •  Micro Landing Strut: tiny landing leg
    •  Micro Battery: tiny battery
  • Added lots of new direct and relay antenna models
  • Added a new type of antenna, Reflectors that need a source antenna pointed at them

Things that aren't done

• The four largest reflectors have unfinished textures
  • Antenna balance is still being worked out. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.