[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

Judging from the screenshots I'm not sure you understand what I'm getting at. I'm curious about the visibility from inside the cockpit. It looks like most of the visibility will be up, instead of forward.

hmm could always make it have the windows bulge out like a bubble if necessary but not too much

Ohh!! Pretties! Are those Textures already in the download? or do we have to wait for a bit?

Waiting is required.

Judging from the screenshots I'm not sure you understand what I'm getting at. I'm curious about the visibility from inside the cockpit. It looks like most of the visibility will be up, instead of forward.

Like I said earlier... better visibility than the Mk2 cockpit in terms of both side facing and foward view. Due to how large the part is, it may be hard to see, but the vertical extent of the window is about the same as an entire oversized kerbal head.

Hmm. Well, it looks very neat, but I'd say a little too neat. It looks like... I don't know, a plated sausage? Bit too smooth over such a large area, even with the plating. No need to change the geometry there, but I think it could visually benefit from a seam of sorts, or at least a dark line, running the length of the fuselage near the top, at the level where the cockpit windows end. Just to break up the large off-white surface.

edit: Something like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4152380/sketches/094_b.png

Also, some more shape/part inspirations for you, if you want:

spaceshuttlerepl3.jpg

shuttle_xs___01_by_pinarci-d5xua9k.jpg

Edited by Sean Mirrsen

I am not fully happy with how the top looks either, so I'll probably be detailing it somewhat in the next pass I have at it. The two fuselages and adapter do look better than the end of the cockpit (experience) so I'll have to propagate advanced techniques that way sometime.

Thanks for the cool pictures :)

Sorry to tease again, but I finished the adapters, the LFO slice and the two nosecones :P

mk4tex03.jpg

mk4tex04.jpg

I'll do a proper prerelease after make specular and normal maps, and I model the monopropellant slice. Speaking of which:

mk4mono.png

The idea is that it will be hollow collider-wise, so you can place things in there (battery packs, for example). It attaches nicely to the end of a cargo bay. It has enough volume for about 300 MP, could be more if you violate physics.

Edited by Nertea

That looks spectacular, Nertea. It still needs sprucing up the topside, but it's already great. The short stubby design is hilarious.

Will there be a crew-cabin slice? How about a fuselage truss? (i.e. a centerline structural component meant to have things fitted on the sides, for instance a pair of 2.5m surface-attached modules) Maybe a slice with a pair of sideways-extending docking ports?

That looks spectacular, Nertea. It still needs sprucing up the topside, but it's already great. The short stubby design is hilarious.

Will there be a crew-cabin slice? How about a fuselage truss? (i.e. a centerline structural component meant to have things fitted on the sides, for instance a pair of 2.5m surface-attached modules) Maybe a slice with a pair of sideways-extending docking ports?

Yes, there will be a crew cabin, but not yet. No docking port slice I'm afraid. I plan to include an extending cargo-bay thing like the shuttle does, but that's actually going to go in SSPX (though will be designed with this in mind). I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a fuselage truss, do you mean a vaguely Mk4 shaped skeletal thing?

Things I will certainly do (and need to be in the project before it goes to the release forum):

• Crew cabin
  • Aft cargo bay door (possibly with tail adapter)
  • Drone core/reaction wheel
  • Mk4 to 4x1.25m adapter
  • Rounded Mk4 "end cap"

Things I might do, or will do after:

• Large surface attachable air intake
  • Inline cockpit
  • Mk4 nose cap (pointy)
  • Forward cargo bay door
  • Engine pod

Things that are nice to have, but are long term:

• Double-size fuel fuselages
  • Double-size cargo bays

By a fuselage truss, I mean a quasi-aerodynamic piece intended for things to be mounted outside of it - an external cargo bay, of sorts.

It's sort of like if you took a solid Mk4 fuselage slice, then took two 2.5m tanks side-by-side with a small gap between them, and then ran a boolean difference operation on the whole set.

No docking port slice I'm afraid. I plan to include an extending cargo-bay thing like the shuttle does, but that's actually going to go in SSPX (though will be designed with this in mind).

Maybe you could stick a port in the monoprop slice if it's long enough, ala SP+? Although I honestly think that between the nose port and the cargo bays what's already there is sufficient.

Also does this mean 2 & 3 meter cylindrical cargo bays in SSPX? Because I would be pumped for that, no one has made a good plain cylindrical cargo bay.

Sorry to tease again, but I finished the adapters, the LFO slice and the two nosecones :P

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/mk4tex03.jpg

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/mk4tex04.jpg

I'll do a proper prerelease after make specular and normal maps, and I model the monopropellant slice. Speaking of which:

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/mk4mono.png

The idea is that it will be hollow collider-wise, so you can place things in there (battery packs, for example). It attaches nicely to the end of a cargo bay. It has enough volume for about 300 MP, could be more if you violate physics.

... I want this so badly... All it needs is an IVA to be perfect.

By a fuselage truss, I mean a quasi-aerodynamic piece intended for things to be mounted outside of it - an external cargo bay, of sorts.

It's sort of like if you took a solid Mk4 fuselage slice, then took two 2.5m tanks side-by-side with a small gap between them, and then ran a boolean difference operation on the whole set.

I see, I see. Mayhaps!

Maybe you could stick a port in the monoprop slice if it's long enough, ala SP+? Although I honestly think that between the nose port and the cargo bays what's already there is sufficient.

Also does this mean 2 & 3 meter cylindrical cargo bays in SSPX? Because I would be pumped for that, no one has made a good plain cylindrical cargo bay.

Yeah I think I will only do that. And yes, there will be those cargo bays, though they will be less cargo bays and more equipment storage bays suitable for orbit

... I want this so badly... All it needs is an IVA to be perfect.

Yeah yeah :P

So I didn't realize it before, but the stock crew transfer thing allows the choice of which hatch to EVA out of! So you can actually use the rear hatch on this thing the way it's intended to be used!

mk4bay.jpg

I welcome opinions on whether the end of the tail cargo bay should adapt to a 1.25m or Mk2 connection.

Edited by Nertea

So I didn't realize it before, but the stock crew transfer thing allows the choice of which hatch to EVA out of! So you can actually use the rear hatch on this thing the way it's intended to be used!

That's actually always been possible, by clicking on the hatch instead of the portraits.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.