[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

2 hours ago, BarnabeLEPD said:

Here it is. From what I've seen everything works fine except the optical telescope parts' scales are a bit off.

Like I said that's the source code, I tried playing around with it for about an hour and eventually gave up because I had no idea what I was doing and nothing worked.

30 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Like I said that's the source code, I tried playing around with it for about an hour and eventually gave up because I had no idea what I was doing and nothing worked.

You want the latest dev release — haven't checked if this works in game or not (I'm still on the clock) but the texture sheets appear to be for Nertea's new parts. 

https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/releases/tag/v19.3

Nertea, this looks wonderful!

Some observations:

• The ER-U1 adapter's bottom attachment node is in the wrong place: https://imgur.com/a/lePHdST
  • The Merlins seem a bit undersized compared to other mods' renditions. Below are some comparisons with SSTU and Tundra Exploration:
Edited by Al2Me6
Formatting got messed up

13 hours ago, SmarterThanMe said:

Hey @Nertea? Can I please ask for 6 sided adapters (i.e., 2 nodes top and bottom, and then 6 in a hexagon)? It would be even more awesome if you could do your switching magic and make 4-5-6-however-many-can-fit.

I don't do requests these days.

The NFLV update is almost done. Only one part (the large decoupler) is now missing, and I have done a couple of balance passes. 

Appreciate any and all tests/opinions. 

Edited by Nertea

10 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Oh my god I typed the message but forgot to put the link. Sorry.

@Nertea E-series structural tube, the 'black' and 'white' variants are the wrong way round (black one is white and vice versa), non-textured flat versions are correct. 5m N-series one is fine.
The 7.5m guidance unit, stack separator and decoupler seem to be about 10 degrees out of alignment with the other parts and are slightly asymmetrical no matter how I rotate them with snap angles on, see the screenshot below if that explanation made no sense.

Spoiler

XJdJ4Kg.png

Holding Alt makes it so much easier to put engines on those engine mounts, but due to the sheer size of some of the parts it can be a bit hard to actually see underneath to attach the engines :rolleyes: The attachment nodes are also now in the right place for the mounts with 'pits' in them.

E and N service bays have a localisation failure in the 'partial' floor variant. The mesh floors also create some pretty awful shimmering effects when the camera is moved when those parts are highlighted.

Spoiler

EeGkboM.png

hp3wY5Z.png

A few questions:

Are there any plans for paint variants of the 7.5m fuel tanks e.g. orange, black or black and white?

As there is a significant parts overlap with Making History, are the 5m parts going to be hidden if MH is installed like the overlapping 1.875m parts in Restock+? I like the switchable textures that the stock parts don't have, would it be possible to hide the MH 5m parts instead? ;)

The NR-AD-6400 conical tank has what looks suspiciously like podded separator motors on the sides, but only in the black and white version, and they aren't actually separator motors: is this something you're thinking of adding in future, or are they just to make it look nice?

48 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Holding Alt makes it so much easier to put engines on those engine mounts, but due to the sheer size of some of the parts it can be a bit hard to actually see underneath to attach the engines :rolleyes: The attachment nodes are also now in the right place for the mounts with 'pits' in them.

Yeah there are some challenges with the size of the 7.5m parts. Going bigger than 5m makes it pretty hard to manage construction with camera positioning. 

49 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about that one. Best I can say is don't spin the camera with highlights on.

51 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Are there any plans for paint variants of the 7.5m fuel tanks e.g. orange, black or black and white?

It's a LOT of work to paint even one dense 4k texture. So no. You also have to consider that the screaming mob would immediately demand orange variants of even more parts (decouplers, fairings, etc). It would probably add a hundred mb to the mod's size per variant, really...

It's interesting enough that I might do it if someone were to pay me. Which has happened before. 

51 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

As there is a significant parts overlap with Making History, are the 5m parts going to be hidden if MH is installed like the overlapping 1.875m parts in Restock+? I like the switchable textures that the stock parts don't have, would it be possible to hide the MH 5m parts instead? ;)

There's plans as of this post:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155465-19x-near-future-technologies-19-updates-feb-20/&do=findComment&comment=3731718

However it is probably going to be simpler, because I don't want to deal with warping the new content into the stock variant switcher. Relevant parts would be the 4x 5m tanks, the decoupler/separator pair and the fairing. Simpler to just hide the equivalent MH and RS+ parts. 

55 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

The NR-AD-6400 conical tank has what looks suspiciously like podded separator motors on the sides, but only in the black and white version, and they aren't actually separator motors: is this something you're thinking of adding in future, or are they just to make it look nice?

Nope, but it has been designed so that a separatron will clip nicely into the space with a bit of offset tool work!

1 minute ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Nertea I must say you've really outdone yourself with these new SCANSat parts, they're some of the nicest-looking parts I've seen in the entire time I've been playing KSP. I must ask, are foil variants planned for the IKONOS and KeyHole 11 telescopes, or any other parts for that matter?

I hate foil and making the wrapped MS scanners was one of the worst decisions I even made.

...actually that was committing to foil variants for all the probe buses in NFX

@Nertea just downloaded the latest NFLV revamp version and I get module manager warnings about OverlappingParts.cfg:

Spoiler

[WRN 21:39:14.262] more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: NearFutureLaunchVehicles/Patches/NFLaunchVehiclesOverlappingParts/@PART[Size4_Tank_04|Size4_Tank_03|Size4_Tank_02|Size4_Tank_01|Size3_Size4_Adapter_01|Decoupler_4|Separator_4|fairingSize4]:FOR[NearFutureLaunchVehicles]:AFTER[ReStock]
[WRN 21:39:14.263] more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: NearFutureLaunchVehicles/Patches/NFLaunchVehiclesOverlappingParts/@PART[restock-fueltank-5-1|restock-fueltank-5-2|restock-fueltank-5-3|restock-fueltank-5-4|restock-fueltank-adapter-375-5-1|restock-decoupler-5-1|restock-separator-5-1|restock-fairing-base-5-1]:FOR[NearFutureLaunchVehicles]:AFTER[ReStock].

It seems to work, I don't see the MH 5m fuel tanks anywhere, but testing without Restock which may be causing the problem.

I can't get any parts to attach to the ER-L2's central pit node as the much larger bottom stack node gets in the way and parts will snap to that instead- the only way to attach to the engine pit node is to stick something on the larger node first. I think that stack node should be a bit further down as putting a decoupler there will cause a lot of clashing with the engines, or maybe it doesn't need that node at all?

I can't find a large radial decoupler anywhere, Git says last update was 3 days ago on the revamp branch, did you push it?

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

@Nertea just downloaded the latest NFLV revamp version and I get module manager warnings about OverlappingParts.cfg:

Reveal hidden contents

[WRN 21:39:14.262] more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: NearFutureLaunchVehicles/Patches/NFLaunchVehiclesOverlappingParts/@PART[Size4_Tank_04|Size4_Tank_03|Size4_Tank_02|Size4_Tank_01|Size3_Size4_Adapter_01|Decoupler_4|Separator_4|fairingSize4]:FOR[NearFutureLaunchVehicles]:AFTER[ReStock]
[WRN 21:39:14.263] more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: NearFutureLaunchVehicles/Patches/NFLaunchVehiclesOverlappingParts/@PART[restock-fueltank-5-1|restock-fueltank-5-2|restock-fueltank-5-3|restock-fueltank-5-4|restock-fueltank-adapter-375-5-1|restock-decoupler-5-1|restock-separator-5-1|restock-fairing-base-5-1]:FOR[NearFutureLaunchVehicles]:AFTER[ReStock].

It seems to work, I don't see the MH 5m fuel tanks anywhere, but testing without Restock which may be causing the problem.

I can't get any parts to attach to the ER-L2's central pit node as the much larger bottom stack node gets in the way and parts will snap to that instead- the only way to attach to the engine pit node is to stick something on the larger node first. I think that stack node should be a bit further down as putting a decoupler there will cause a lot of clashing with the engines, or maybe it doesn't need that node at all?

I can't find a large radial decoupler anywhere, Git says last update was 3 days ago on the revamp branch, did you push it?

Uh yeah looks like it didn't get pushed. Should be there now. 

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

Uh yeah looks like it didn't get pushed. Should be there now. 

Pulled it down and the decoupler is there now. However I just noticed that the skeletal adapters with the optional tanks are actually putting the tanks in the wrong place- upper if you select lower and vice versa. Both 7.5m-5m and 5m-3.75m are affected, but the fuel volumes and masses are correct for the variant chosen, it's just using the wrong model. Unrelated, the Walrus engine says in the description that it's made by Kerbodyne, but the manufacturer says Post-Kerbin Mining like the rest of them.

Spoiler

3Y7sfnq.png

Thanks for fixing those misaligned 7.5m parts, they look so much better now (to me at least, I like my rockets symmetrical :))

16 hours ago, stefan43 said:

does anyone think kerbal space program could use an s-3d engine analogue used on the jupiter rockets just asking because ksp could use a engine in between the lv-t series and up

Interesting idea... 

I am in support of this proposal.

Edited by Mountain Parrot

On 4/26/2020 at 2:56 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Pulled it down and the decoupler is there now. However I just noticed that the skeletal adapters with the optional tanks are actually putting the tanks in the wrong place- upper if you select lower and vice versa. Both 7.5m-5m and 5m-3.75m are affected, but the fuel volumes and masses are correct for the variant chosen, it's just using the wrong model. Unrelated, the Walrus engine says in the description that it's made by Kerbodyne, but the manufacturer says Post-Kerbin Mining like the rest of them.

Reveal hidden contents

3Y7sfnq.png

Thanks for fixing those misaligned 7.5m parts, they look so much better now (to me at least, I like my rockets symmetrical :))

Thanks, will be in whatever gets released tomorrow...

Ran into an issue when I tried to start up ksp. Tried copy-pasting several of the error lines into google to see if my problem's been solved already, couldn't find anything. Here is my gamedata folder and log. Help would be appreciated, running ksp version 1.7.3

GameData Folder

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1886l9v_oPB_o0DbhqExKCMJosrXzpA7Z

Couldn't put the whole log into a spoiler so uploaded to drive.

2 hours ago, Random Chimp Event said:

Ran into an issue when I tried to start up ksp. Tried copy-pasting several of the error lines into google to see if my problem's been solved already, couldn't find anything. Here is my gamedata folder and log. Help would be appreciated, running ksp version 1.7.3

GameData Folder

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1886l9v_oPB_o0DbhqExKCMJosrXzpA7Z

Couldn't put the whole log into a spoiler so uploaded to drive.

Discord link is 404 though

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.