[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

3 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

''The cargo bags provide radiation shielding and integral storage''

That doesn't mean it *actually* stores anything ingame. It could just mean that's what they're meant to be visually, or maybe are inventory containers rather than resource containers

Just now, WarriorSabe said:

That doesn't mean it *actually* stores anything ingame. It could just mean that's what they're meant to be visually, or maybe are inventory containers rather than resource containers

radiation shielding could be for kerbalism users, like with the 3.75m part that does it (forgot the name of it)

and the 3.75m part I mean also has storage, even for water

though the 5m part could have storage like the SSPXr containers (ore, material kits,...)

idk

Just now, Starhelperdude said:

radiation shielding could be for kerbalism users, like with the 3.75m part that does it (forgot the name of it)

and the 3.75m part I mean also has storage, even for water

though the 5m part could have storage like the SSPXr containers (ore, material kits,...)

idk

Nertea does not do Kerbalism compatibility though - all the compatibility you see is on Kerbalism's end. And the latter thing is what I was asking; if it functioned akin to the actual SSPXr container parts

Just now, WarriorSabe said:

Nertea does not do Kerbalism compatibility though - all the compatibility you see is on Kerbalism's end. And the latter thing is what I was asking; if it functioned akin to the actual SSPXr container parts

I would personally like though that it stores fuel and also an option for water

but I wouldn't dislike your opinion too

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

I would personally like though that it stores fuel and also an option for water

but I wouldn't dislike your opinion too

Would you store fuel in bags like that? I think if the bags being storage is going to be modelled in game it would be best as extra inventory slots and space. Life support would probably be the best option but since that isn't part of stock it will be up to users/life support mod authors to patch in the resource storage.

1 minute ago, CDSlice said:

Would you store fuel in bags like that? I think if the bags being storage is going to be modelled in game it would be best as extra inventory slots and space. Life support would probably be the best option but since that isn't part of stock it will be up to users/life support mod authors to patch in the resource storage.

life support in mods like TAC LS and kerbalism contains water, I said water because I think it's a good radiation shield or smth.

18 hours ago, WarriorSabe said:

Does it actually function like one of the container parts?

I haven't decided yet. it'll probably have a decent bit of inventory storage. If it gets actual switchable storage it'll be like the containers and limited to storagey resources, not fuel.

Edited by Nertea

13 minutes ago, Nertea said:

decent bit of inventory storage

Stock inventory system clutters PAW so much, won't an appropriate sized inventory turn PAW into an endless scroll of inventory slots? 

23 minutes ago, NiL said:

Stock inventory system clutters PAW so much, won't an appropriate sized inventory turn PAW into an endless scroll of inventory slots? 

'decent 'bit' probably means similar to the hitchiker. 

7 hours ago, Nertea said:

If it gets actual switchable storage it'll be like the containers and limited to storagey resources, not fuel.

Oh, yeah, I was thinking just like the other containers in SSPXr. Fuel would be weird to store in that kind of container

Incredible work on these new parts as always! Loving all the detail on all the parts, and excited to be able to make proper Salyut/Mir-style multi-diameter station modules!
Two questions I have though:

1.  Would it take more than minimal tweaks to create sloped diameter adapters with integrated fairings? It would make Proton-style station launches (where the widest station diameter is outside the fairing) possible without clipping a (rather thick) fairing base into an adapter piece, but it feels like this might be outside your intended scope.
  2.  I'd love to see some more color variations for station parts, and I feel fairly confident I have the skills needed to look at how the current metal parts patch works and apply that to other variant texture sets. However, the easiest way for me to make those variant texture sets would be to make edited versions of your textures, and that presents a problem: I couldn't distribute those edited textures myself, since they'd be directly derived from yours. If, after the next SSPXr release, I make such a patch & texture set, would you be interested in having it be an "extra" patch in the same manner as the current metal-textures patch?
Edited by Starseeker

11 hours ago, Starseeker said:
  •  Would it take more than minimal tweaks to create sloped diameter adapters with integrated fairings? It would make Proton-style station launches (where the widest station diameter is outside the fairing) possible without clipping a (rather thick) fairing base into an adapter piece, but it feels like this might be outside your intended scope.
  •  

I won't be doing it but you can add a stock procedural fairing with 10-20 lines of config. 

11 hours ago, Starseeker said:
  1.  I'd love to see some more color variations for station parts, and I feel fairly confident I have the skills needed to look at how the current metal parts patch works and apply that to other variant texture sets. However, the easiest way for me to make those variant texture sets would be to make edited versions of your textures, and that presents a problem: I couldn't distribute those edited textures myself, since they'd be directly derived from yours. If, after the next SSPXr release, I make such a patch & texture set, would you be interested in having it be an "extra" patch in the same manner as the current metal-textures patch?

Well the first thing to do is to wait until the 2.0 update is out because it will move all the part patches into mainline. Redistributing my stuff is tricky though. I'll think about it, please touch base after 2.0 release. 

31 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Would that be colored thermal blankets or different metal tones? 

What would it entail?

I'm thinking red (the same sort of tone used on the Salyut 7), tan, olive, and perhaps some sort of black or dark grey. As for whether it'd be painted metal or thermal blankets, I'm not sure. It could be both, but that'd end up adding 6-8 extra part variants (rather than 3-4), which would start to make things really cluttered & hard to navigate. :confused:

36 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I won't be doing it but you can add a stock procedural fairing with 10-20 lines of config.

Ah, good to hear it can be done with just configs! Might take a crack at it myself then, see if I can get it working - and then perhaps see if I can add it as another variant switch on adapter parts.

36 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Well the first thing to do is to wait until the 2.0 update is out because it will move all the part patches into mainline. Redistributing my stuff is tricky though. I'll think about it, please touch base after 2.0 release. 

Alrighty, will do!

Edited by Starseeker

@Nertea

but i would miss u honestly

On 5/5/2021 at 7:24 PM, 610yesnolovely said:

Nertea's mods are of the utmost quality and detail that is comparable to the top AAA game artists/designers. The amount of detail and scope is mind boggling, and I have no idea how he does it in his spare time. This guy could easily get a job and do this for a living (I think he really like his day job though),

Spoiler
On 3/6/2021 at 12:54 AM, Nertea said:
  • Identify gameplay needs and then use independent research and subject matter expert interviews to design plausible parts to fit those needs -CHECK
  • Make sure that every part in the game speaks to real-world design and engineering principles -CHECK
  • Ensure that all parts look cool, both individually and in combination with one another -CHECK
  • Make sure that all parts in the game fit well with one another, aesthetically and physically -CHECK
  • Ensure that part designs can be easily turned into performant assets by the art staff (i.e. keeping polygon and texture limitations in the back of your mind) -CHECK
  • Work closely with design to fulfill gameplay and progression needs -CHECK
  • Provide materials guidance and engineering justification to parts artists to help them make informed decisions while creating finished parts
  • Provide guidance to VFX and SFX staff to ensure excellence in finished part execution

Required Skills and Qualifications

• Portfolio of work demonstrating strong visual design skills -CHECK
  • Industrial design, part modding, or other industry experience demonstrating an ability to create assets that are both scientifically plausible and beautiful  -CHECK
  • 2 years game industry experience, Kerbal modding experience, or equivalent school experience -CHECK
  • Proficiency in a 3D program (3D Studio Max, Maya, Blender, or equivalent)
  • Deep knowledge and passion for space exploration technologies, well-represented in your prior work -CHECK
  • Experience playing Kerbal Space Program a bonus -CHECK
  • Strong interpersonal and team skills
  • Ability to work well in a team environment and redo/iterate work until it's right
  • Task driven, self-motivated and proactive
  • Quick learner, able to rapidly pick up new software and workflow pipelines

-CHECK -CHECK all i not checked i dont know 4sure

bonus:

Spoiler

special thx to scott manley

3 hours ago, Burning Kan said:
  Hide contents

-CHECK -CHECK all i not checked i dont know 4sure

bonus:

Reveal hidden contents

special thx to scott manley

I think you're spot on. 

4 hours ago, Nertea said:

the right position...

I mean, unsurprisingly you are very well qualified, and meet all of their criteria. 

As for it being the right position.....

Parts Designer 

I mean..... *looks at dev thread and many gorgeous mods* It almost seems tailor made, and they have been clear about being big fans in the past.

Honestly even having you on the team as a consultant would be a huge boon to KSP2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.