[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

4 minutes ago, EnderKid2 said:

I'm all for Restock 2 to be a thing...

Yeah, It seems like KSP2 is sticking with the questionable modelling choices of KSP1, notably on the 1-3 command pod, where the chutes don't mount flush.

Hopefully the models will still work and the textures will only need mild editing to use the PBR stuff.

Restock Classic.

5 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Yeah, It seems like KSP2 is sticking with the questionable modelling choices of KSP1, notably on the 1-3 command pod, where the chutes don't mount flush.

Hopefully the models will still work and the textures will only need mild editing to use the PBR stuff.

Restock Classic.

I think it’s also possible they just haven’t gotten around to remodelling those yet, and just thrown a new texture over the old part for the show.

20 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Restock Classic.

It looks like they are keeping the old part style, what’s cool I guess but means I’ll have to wait for mods like this.

2 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Significantly busy in RL but have finished off these two parts, which are the 3.75 -> 5m adapters in flat and not-so-flat versions.

unknown.png

I like that the upper one looks similar to the 3.75m crew tubes

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Significantly busy in RL but have finished off these two parts, which are the 3.75 -> 5m adapters in flat and not-so-flat versions.

unknown.png

Oooo, loving the use of trusswork there - helps break up what'd otherwise be quite a large flat surface. The cable conduits are pretty neat too!

9 hours ago, Nertea said:

unknown.png

I love that top one, it feels like a circular house with a patio all around it. I might find myself clipping an airlock or something into there

Found a small typo on the 3.75m station core the bottom end cap is upside down.

fixed it by changing 

MODEL
    {
        model = StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Common/sspx-endcap-375-solid-1-mirrored
        position = 0.0,  -0.973, 0.0
        scale = 1,-1,1
        rotation = 0, 0, 0
    }

to 

MODEL
    {
        model = StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Common/sspx-endcap-375-solid-1-mirrored
        scale = 1,1,1
        rotation = 0, 0, 0
    }

thanks for the amazing work!

5 hours ago, Xilis said:

Found a small typo on the 3.75m station core the bottom end cap is upside down.

fixed it by changing 

MODEL
    {
        scale = 1,-1,1
        rotation = 0, 0, 0
    }

to 

MODEL
    {
        scale = 1,1,1
        rotation = 0, 0, 0
    }

thanks for the amazing work!

Yep, reported and git and adressed!

18 hours ago, WarriorSabe said:

I love that top one, it feels like a circular house with a patio all around it. I might find myself clipping an airlock or something into there

Huh now I can't unsee that!

On 5/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Restock Classic.

That's a fair point, and probably best to try and keep expectations low enough to give them room to surpass them; but they keep pushing the release back, and now they are getting more/new artists; so we can maaaaaybe play optimist a little and hope that it will better (and hopefully full awesome /fingerscrossed) by the final release (whatever decade that may be). And if not....well, It'll give Nert more to do :lol::D

Though, really, I'd be super sad if we didn't get any Nert mods for KSP 2

1 minute ago, GigFiz said:

That's a fair point, and probably best to try and keep expectations low enough to give them room to surpass them; but they keep pushing the release back, and now they are getting more/new artists; so we can maaaaaybe play optimist a little and hope that it will better (and hopefully full awesome /fingerscrossed) by the final release (whatever decade that may be). And if not....well, It'll give Nert more to do :lol::D

Though, really, I'd be super sad if we didn't get any Nert mods for KSP 2

maybe someone could write new plugins then, since the models and textures can just be reused from ksp1

1 minute ago, Starhelperdude said:

maybe someone could write new plugins then, since the models and textures can just be reused from ksp1

Nate actually was talking about that. 
He said it would just take some minor changes to apply the PBR effects. 

1 minute ago, Starhelperdude said:

Yeah, mayhaps. Though that's still just speculation about what the final game will look like, and how the modding system will work at this point, so it's still putting the cart a little bit ahead, as it were. However, no matter how good it may or may not end up looking, I guarantee Nert and his partners in space crime (other restock devs) will have ways to make it even better

I think it's really important to note that I write my mods to fulfill a specific vision that depends on the base game. I won't even consider porting anything to KSP2 until the full shape of gameplay and art has been revealed, and I find it very unlikely that any of my mods will be relevant in the new game in their current form.  

6 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Nate actually was talking about that. 
He said it would just take some minor changes to apply the PBR effects. 

Oh that would be cool: if it ends up easy for them to take anything that would fit/be useful in ksp2 and only have to tweak a little bit to make it work.

Tangentially: I wonder how the engine glow and other particle effects are going to turn out in the final release. Tech's come a long way and, with the waterfall FX thing,  Nert's been showing how much better they can look. I do hope with 2 that they put some effort into making those look realistic and good

4 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I think it's really important to note that I write my mods to fulfill a specific vision that depends on the base game. I won't even consider porting anything to KSP2 until the full shape of gameplay and art has been revealed, and I find it very unlikely that any of my mods will be relevant in the new game in their current form.  

Yep, that's another reason you're awesome: you don't just jam stuff in willy-nilly, you make it coherent and consistent, and you make it look awesome. But, as you are saying, it's impossible to develop a vision for potential mods right now with how little we know and the amount of development time left, so any of that talk is putting the cart way in front of the horse. 

Still, if there perchance does end up being some pieces of existing mods that fit in naturally to the new game, it would surely be convenient if the process of adapting them was relatively simple.

21 minutes ago, Nertea said:

17 minutes ago, GigFiz said:

h that would be cool: if it ends up easy for them to take anything that would fit/be useful in ksp2 and only have to tweak a little bit to make it work.

Just to make sure you all can see it:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/202388-we-are-looking-for-a-part-designer/&do=findComment&comment=3974847

33 minutes ago, Nertea said:

though, currently I personally like your stuff more than ksp2 stuff

Made a nice Mir-style modular station using the 1.875m station modules! Don't have visual mods on this install, so it's not as pretty as I'd like, but definitely loving these parts!

Spoiler

5TVxxR5.png
snI9cWO.png
X9Dnkst.png

When I can, I'll also grab a shot of the improved core module design that uses US2 :)

Nice designs!

Here's the shorter 5m logistics module. There will also be a double length with 6 rows of bags. It'll be fun!

unknown.png

I'm currently working on porting elements of this back to the other cargo containers with some success, bit of a pain though. 

1 minute ago, Nertea said:

Nice designs!

Here's the shorter 5m logistics module. There will also be a double length with 6 rows of bags. It'll be fun!

unknown.png

I'm currently working on porting elements of this back to the other cargo containers with some success, bit of a pain though. 

So logistics… is that a container?

Or a station module with storage?

Anyways, looks lovely. 

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.