[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

1 hour ago, Grimmas said:

Very nice looking parts as usual!

One thing I noticed - PAS Flat Adapter magically disappears when viewed from certain angles (what's actually happening is that the backfaces are getting culled which is expected - you probably only modelled one side of that inner ring, so the back side shows). 

18 minutes ago, Jcking said:

Is the telescopic clampotron going to stay a 1.875 mount only, or will we also get the old 1.25m mount as well.

Uh for both of these looks like I used the wrong endcap mesh, they're using the 1.875m one instead of the new one. I'll push a fix in like... 10 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Is that being integrated with the main mod for this update?

Well yes, considering that I've done it (and improved it) for the 1.25m/1.875m parts.

Edited by Nertea

And to be honest ... Nertea, you are undoubtedly a good modder, but it seems to me that these parts are too much.
Too much detail. There is too little room for creativity.
The work is beautiful, but how to play it?

For example, here is this detail: there are two places where you can fix solar panels. What if I want 4? Or do I want x3 symmetry?
Or I want bigger tanks. The seat is already taken.
Even the devices are difficult to install - there is almost no space.

Of course, no one can tell you what to do, but ...
You have always made mods that give space and variety for creative freedom. This mod is not like yours.

Just an opinion.

MmkrSWDLcVk.jpg?size=1920x1080&quality=9

Edited by Cochies

41 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Uhm... so you'd rather have... less detail? More generic looking parts? I quite like these ones though.

I would prefer fewer surface objects. Not such overloaded models, a good foundation for building, not a ready-made module.

Wow, ouch.

Seriously I put so much work into these that if you don't like them you can get right out of here. Time for that kind of feedback was literally a year ago when I was socializing the early versions of these parts, or even for the last 3 months as I've been working and developing them. 

Some parts have higher surface complexity. Others have lower. For some of these parts, particularly the utility pod, I brought detail that sometimes I store inside the shell of the part to the surface to create something that has a more unique look. Don't think that the side platforms are only for a single orientation or solar panel, there's lots of other options for placement that just require some thinking and creativity. Some parts are very plain as well (both habs for example are basically cylinders with wires). 

But yeah, you're just expressing your opinion which is fine, it's just disappointing. 

Edited by Nertea

@Nerteaare you OK with us posting screenshots now?

Personally I think the parts look great, having realistic looking greebles has been a real weakness of the stock parts. There are also the plain crew tubes for attaching stuff like solar panels and radiators. 

23 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

@Nerteaare you OK with us posting screenshots now?

Personally I think the parts look great, having realistic looking greebles has been a real weakness of the stock parts. There are also the plain crew tubes for attaching stuff like solar panels and radiators. 

Yes you can do so, but be careful to tell anyone you show that they came from a WIP thing and using them has risks. 

Some fairly significant progress on IVAs in the last few days. I've got them all unwrapped, mostly textured, and with draft prop layouts completed. Lots of fine tuning but they should be operational within a week or two. Then I can return to the secondary nightmare that is the 2.5m repaint.

unknown.png

unknown.pngunknown.png

I decided to try out the new 1.875m parts with a Mir/ISS inspired Munar Gateway:

screenshot211.png?width=893&height=502

View of the gateway from the side. The 1.875m station parts are great for this as they are big enough that it feels realistic that I could have 6 kerbals live and work here for a while while not turning into a massive station.

screenshot216.png?width=893&height=502

Close up view of the  lab section. I didn't have any trouble finding places to put radiators and stuff,

screenshot217.png?width=893&height=502

Close up of the hab module. Able to hold 7 kerbals.  These models and textures are just incredible

screenshot219.png?width=893&height=502

And the docking hub connected to the refueling tank.

screenshot220.png?width=893&height=502

Another angle of the station showing the lander attached to its dedicated docking port.

These parts are just amazing and somehow look even better in game in crafts then they did in the WIP screenshots. Awsome work @Nertea!

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

Some fairly significant progress on IVAs in the last few days. I've got them all unwrapped, mostly textured, and with draft prop layouts completed. Lots of fine tuning but they should be operational within a week or two. Then I can return to the secondary nightmare that is the 2.5m repaint.

unknown.png

unknown.pngunknown.png

Sexy looking iva interiors.   Love the padding.  Reminds me of my happy place room  :confused:.  

Peace.

8 hours ago, CDSlice said:

I decided to try out the new 1.875m parts with a Mir/ISS inspired Munar Gateway:

These parts are just amazing and somehow look even better in game in crafts then they did in the WIP screenshots. Awsome work @Nertea!

That looks excellent!

The thermal blanket textures are ace, got a little too carried away admiring them though... I call this jumble of Shuttle and Mir parts "Val's Labyrinth." 

L4GR0Nm.png

SrjQmEm.png

KToYKdb.png

Feel free to use in the release album if you like...!

1 hour ago, lemon cup said:

The thermal blanket textures are ace, got a little too carried away admiring them though... I call this jumble of Shuttle and Mir parts "Val's Labyrinth." 

Feel free to use in the release album if you like...!

Very nice! Unfortunately still quite a long time before release :(. 

unknown.png

Last commit to the working branch added all the IVAs and stuff though. Whee. 

1 minute ago, Nertea said:

Very nice! Unfortunately still quite a long time before release :(. 

unknown.png

Last commit to the working branch added all the IVAs and stuff though. Whee. 

omg

also I like that the thermal blankets look very russian

1 hour ago, lemon cup said:

Excellent. That looks just absolutely excellent. :o

Spoiler

"bUt tHEreS toO mUCh deTaiL" :rolleyes:

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

On 4/30/2021 at 3:45 PM, Nertea said:

Wow, ouch.

Seriously I put so much work into these that if you don't like them you can get right out of here. Time for that kind of feedback was literally a year ago when I was socializing the early versions of these parts, or even for the last 3 months as I've been working and developing them. 

Some parts have higher surface complexity. Others have lower. For some of these parts, particularly the utility pod, I brought detail that sometimes I store inside the shell of the part to the surface to create something that has a more unique look. Don't think that the side platforms are only for a single orientation or solar panel, there's lots of other options for placement that just require some thinking and creativity. Some parts are very plain as well (both habs for example are basically cylinders with wires). 

But yeah, you're just expressing your opinion which is fine, it's just disappointing. 

Here's my opinion: Nertea's mods are of the utmost quality and detail that is comparable to the top AAA game artists/designers. The amount of detail and scope is mind boggling, and I have no idea how he does it in his spare time. This guy could easily get a job and do this for a living (I think he really like his day job though), but you're getting this for free.

(I created my account finally to say this - I've been lurking for years. On the bright side, this comment did motivate me to at least de-lurk and perhaps make a very very small mod I've been researching.)

I'm slogging through the 2.5m part repaint which sucks, weird UVs and poorly designed textures abound. Still, happy with the results in most cases - I'm about halfway done, I think 

To save the boredom, I've been working a lot on the next thing, which is, as some may have guessed, 5m station parts to further expand the expansion expansion. heh. You can expect to see:

• 2 habitation cans
  • 2 logistics modules (well, one chopped into two lengths)
  • 2 adapters
  • A science module
  • A greenhouse
  • A station command core
  • A single large centrifuge
  • Perhaps a couple of unique 5m type parts. 

1 minute ago, Nertea said:
  • A single large centrifuge
  • Perhaps a couple of unique 5m type parts. 

Egad! That’s gonna be fricken huge!

I do hope we get a mega-cupola. 
And maybe an IVA for that because it would be cool to have a mega space window

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.