[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

Need those big engines! The GE-90 is really that huge?

The real-world GE-90, used by the Boeing 777, comes in several different models; one of the bigger ones has a fan diameter around 3.25m (not including nacelle). It's about as big around as the fuselage of a 737.

Hey Nertea, this is actually my first post. Ive been a lurker for a while. I have really been wanting to make an awesome vtol style drop-spaceship and I think your parts are really going to help out. Can you make a repository so we can test your stuff? I havent installed your old mk4 in anticipation for this one. D:

I'm locking off the adapters for initial rerelease at 3:

• Mk4 to 1x Mk3 and 2x 1.25m (shoulder)
  • Mk4 to 1x 3.75m and 2x 1.25m (shoulder)
  • Mk4 to 2x 2.5m and 2x 1.25m (shoulder)

They're modeled, unwrapped and waiting for the textures to be finished.

I have completed the service bay. It has 3 hatches that open that are enough to fit an EVA kerbal through (I tested!). It's also just pretty cool looking :).

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/mk4servicebay.png

That is pretty cool, and I'm greatly looking forward to having the MK4 system back in my inventory when it's complete. :)

But... well, I don't want to be a buzzkill, but I would think that one would want the doors to open inwards, so as to better resist the effects of a pressurized cabin against the vacuum of space.

Just a thought...

:D

That is pretty cool, and I'm greatly looking forward to having the MK4 system back in my inventory when it's complete. :)

But... well, I don't want to be a buzzkill, but I would think that one would want the doors to open inwards, so as to better resist the effects of a pressurized cabin against the vacuum of space.

Just a thought...

I don't think it's supposed to be pressurized, and a cargo compartment door should open outward to avoid being blocked by the cargo.

Nope. Lobes stay!

So finished basic textures on adapters, took a break and textured the KE-90 'Dudley'.

http://areadenialgames.com/ksp/mk4enginetest.jpg

Beautiful! So looking forward to release.

I came up with a better way to do what I was talking about: A radial-attached plate that is designed to fit on the lobes to form an attachment point for things like lifting engines, or maybe drills and landing gear. Or the Claw!

Idea: Flat end plates for the cargo bays. With them, we could cap off the ends of cargo bays and use them as hangars on space stations. Give one side two 2.5 meter mounts and the other side, I dunno, six 1.25 meter ones. Flat adapter plates like that would also be handy for certain engine designs, so it's not just a single-purpose part..

Idea: Flat end plates for the cargo bays. With them, we could cap off the ends of cargo bays and use them as hangars on space stations. Give one side two 2.5 meter mounts and the other side, I dunno, six 1.25 meter ones. Flat adapter plates like that would also be handy for certain engine designs, so it's not just a single-purpose part..

All I can think of is the pod front from Thunderbird 2.

Does the engine nacelle have an integrated mounting pylon like stock or no? Certainly has its moments of usefulness like that.

No it doesn't at the moment. I considered it but it looked kinda weird. Better to have a separate part, I think.

Hey Nertea, this is actually my first post. Ive been a lurker for a while. I have really been wanting to make an awesome vtol style drop-spaceship and I think your parts are really going to help out. Can you make a repository so we can test your stuff? I havent installed your old mk4 in anticipation for this one. D:

I tried to do dev with a repo last time, and it ended up not working great for me. My modeling and texturing workflow doesn't work so well with what I had set up so I've abandoned that. It's great for code but not for the way I like to work when art-ing.

Just a thought...

Nah, no pressurization there. Plus, well, Apollo 1...

I don't really quite get what you mean, but flat featureless adapter plates *are* a lot easier to do than a streamlined one...

I don't really quite get what you mean, but flat featureless adapter plates *are* a lot easier to do than a streamlined one...

He means using the Mk4 Cargo Bay as a space station component, i.e. a hangar/shuttlebay. In the current lineup, there's no way to "cap off" the sides of a Mk4 cargo bay (or even a Mk2/Mk3 cargo bay, for that matter) without resorting to using huge and massive adapter tanks or other spaceplane compartments, which may be entirely extraneous on a space station like that. Flat, relatively lightweight and non-resource-holding adapter pieces would help in that regard, as well as with certain other configurations of spacecraft, such as NFP engine arrays that don't need LFO anywhere on the craft.

He means using the Mk4 Cargo Bay as a space station component, i.e. a hangar/shuttlebay. In the current lineup, there's no way to "cap off" the sides of a Mk4 cargo bay (or even a Mk2/Mk3 cargo bay, for that matter) without resorting to using huge and massive adapter tanks or other spaceplane compartments, which may be entirely extraneous on a space station like that. Flat, relatively lightweight and non-resource-holding adapter pieces would help in that regard, as well as with certain other configurations of spacecraft, such as NFP engine arrays that don't need LFO anywhere on the craft.

Or to segregate cargo bays on space planes, maybe instead of one really long bay the person wants 2 small separate bays.

Very much helpful. I've been known to use the bays as storage pods for various things on my long-haul freighters. You're right too that it could be useful for clusters of engines that either don't need aerodynamics, or need fuel these parts do not offer.

Oh! Similarly, a clamshell door end-cap. So instead of a tail with a ramp, it splits in half and opens to the sides.

I believe there's already plans for a door that opens up ala C-17 style. Fear not, you will have ways of unloading payloads that fit in the bays with inches to spare.

Or to segregate cargo bays on space planes, maybe instead of one really long bay the person wants 2 small separate bays.

Why this would ever be the case I do not know, but to each their own. Perhaps, to trim VAB part bloat, Nertea could do togglable nodes the way B9 does it (somehow that played okay with FAR so I'm sure it can be made to play with stock just fine) and only introduce a singular mounting plate, while still giving us all the options we seek. THe shape need not change since aero isnt a concern here.

Large jet parts look great, I thought they might end up looking awkward but not at all. KE-4 looks just like a model I made awhile ago. I should .cfg that thing...

Are the Scimitar, little radial jet, intakes and such coming back for round 2? someone mentioned the nacelles and I wondered about the rest.

Exactly! And I'm proposing giving each side of the plate a generic set of attachment nodes to save on part count for the mod. There are many uses for simple sheets of metal.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I can think of something cute I could do with that.

The idea of a plain divider or end-cap seems worthwhile for a lot of things. A decoupler-mesh is way too complicated than it needs to be for this, but wasn't there something similar in the old MkIV, a rather thin part?

Something like the original MkIV drone core with a bit of different texturing and a different part.cfg could have been workable, but it wouldn't have looked as good as something purpose built.

I know the Fustek station parts set has one or two end-caps and covers. That system is mostly 2.5m diameter, and has a 2.5m docking port as well as a hangar unit with a big hatch on the side.

I'd class a cap/partition as useful but not vital for v1.0

Some sort of super-pancake model could be used for several purposes. I doubt a space-plane would need a thermal barrier component for the engine, but it could use the same model with a different part.cfg It's not just the LV-N nuclear rocker that pumps heat into a stack. Similarly, it might have some batteries built-in. Maybe a locker for Snacks Storage? How much of the work for those variations is in the the mesh model, how much in the textures, and how much in the part.cfg?

And here's one thought for why a partition might be useful. Some sort of clean-room. The partition might have two or three small airlocks. One for personnel, another for samples, and a third for normal "clean" supplies. The lab would have glove boxes, of course. Might be a three-unit set-up. They've landed on Eve, and block A is the part exposed to Eve. Block B is the clean room, a science lab for working on samples, and decontaminating Kerbals. Block C is the flight deck and the living space.

Maybe we need a Habitat Access Limiter to control the pod-bay doors.

Real life applies. The Apollo LMs picked up a lot of dust from the Lunar surface. Luckily it wasn't a bio-hazard.

The real-world GE-90, used by the Boeing 777, comes in several different models; one of the bigger ones has a fan diameter around 3.25m (not including nacelle). It's about as big around as the fuselage of a 737.

Holy cow.

Suddenly, AN-255 outta nowhere, eats everyone with its gigantic cargo door.

Seriously we need those big engines. Wait, are the large 1.25 meter old Mk4 intakes and the engine hubs still going to be in the new MK4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.