[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

If you make a working(*) Bussard Ramjet mod, I can die a happy man(**).

* Of course, recent scientific analysis suggests that it doesn't work: even if you somehow solve the problem of inducing proton-proton fusion with less than a star's mass worth of hydrogen, Bremsstrahlung and other radiative energy losses limit your speed to a pathetically small fraction of c. Maybe a RAIR (ramscooped hydrogen for reaction mass, onboard deuterium for fusion fuel) or something?

** I will go interstellar some day, in a career game.

On 10/24/2016 at 1:56 PM, Nertea said:

This 1.2 update is getting a bit frustrating. I can't seem to override the Launch button anymore, so that's a real downer. I might have to change things to an "on the pad" filling method.

Pretty basic, but I might start off on that direction. A long part with a flattened 2.5m profile that is streamlined at the front and greebled at the back. 

I quite like this thing (everything forward of "C") as the particle scoop, but with a smaller "solid" cone that is more like the bits in "G"

(snip)

Interesting!

If I may do a suggestion, it might not be one for you... Anyway, futuristic design are nice and good, but most of them have a somewhat slow acceleration. What we really need is a way to accelerate on rail, or anything that would make +20min bearable. NFP and the new engine would be much more usable if we had this.

39 minutes ago, eataTREE said:

If you make a working(*) Bussard Ramjet mod, I can die a happy man(**).

* Of course, recent scientific analysis suggests that it doesn't work: even if you somehow solve the problem of inducing proton-proton fusion with less than a star's mass worth of hydrogen, Bremsstrahlung and other radiative energy losses limit your speed to a pathetically small fraction of c. Maybe a RAIR (ramscooped hydrogen for reaction mass, onboard deuterium for fusion fuel) or something?

** I will go interstellar some day, in a career game.

I got the impression he was more looking at using that model as a guideline for atmospheric (at high altitude) collection.

And there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the Bussard Ramjet concept - it just doesn't turn out to be as useful as other options because of the speed limits.  At least, not as an interstellar transport - I do have to wonder how well it would work as a steady-state arkship.  (That is: Don't go into a stellar gravity well.  Just collect and refine interstellar gasses to make up for any losses in your mobile world-ship.)

Made some progress on the AM stuff for 1.2. Now you load on the pad (or anywhere at the KSC). The interface now allows you to unload if you're at the KSC too, so you can recover your antimatter. 

The mini AM panel is new too, lets you see the status of the factory anytime. Contextually pops up a load AM button or a Go to Factory button if the conditions are right.

KiVJIEb.png

On 24-10-2016 at 7:56 PM, Nertea said:

This 1.2 update is getting a bit frustrating. I can't seem to override the Launch button anymore, so that's a real downer. I might have to change things to an "on the pad" filling method.

Pretty basic, but I might start off on that direction. A long part with a flattened 2.5m profile that is streamlined at the front and greebled at the back. 

I quite like this thing (everything forward of "C") as the particle scoop, but with a smaller "solid" cone that is more like the bits in "G"

BUSSARD_ortho_captioned.jpg

Although Bussard Ramjet is a cool concept, there are several fundemental problems with it:

1 the interstellar space in our galaxtic neighbourhod is very low

2 proton-proton fusion is one of the hardest fusion to achieve, especialy it low reactivity change is a big problem, the change that 2 proptons fusion even under ideal conditions is very low.

3 It first need to get up to very speed before it collect enough fuel, which would require a secondary propulsion method, making the Ramjet dead mass untill you can actualy use it.

4 it suffers from friction, it has a maximum speed that nulifies any advatage it would have had

At best Bushard ramjet might save you a little on fuel using p-B, p-Li, perhaps even p-D fusion, where you retreive the proptons from space instead of bringing it along.

Edited by FreeThinker

13 hours ago, Nertea said:

Made some progress on the AM stuff for 1.2. Now you load on the pad (or anywhere at the KSC). The interface now allows you to unload if you're at the KSC too, so you can recover your antimatter. 

The mini AM panel is new too, lets you see the status of the factory anytime. Contextually pops up a load AM button or a Go to Factory button if the conditions are right.

very nice, probably outside the scope of this development but it would be cool if AM factory was constructable similar to other KSC buildings :)

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Although Bussard Ramjet is a cool concept, there are several fundemental problems with it:

1 the interstellar space in our galaxtic neighbourhod is very low

2 proton-proton fusion is one of the hardest fusion to achieve, especialy it low reactivity change is a big problem, the change that 2 proptons fusion even under ideal conditions is very low.

3 It first need to get up to very speed before it collect enough fuel, which would require a secondary propulsion method, making the Ramjet dead mass untill you can actualy use it.

4 it suffers from friction, it has a maximum speed that nulifies any advatage it would have had

At best Bushard ramjet might save you a little on fuel using p-B, p-Li, perhaps even p-D fusion, where you retreive the proptons from space instead of bringing it along.

All of which is irrelevant to the reason why that image was posted: As potential concept inspiration for an atmospheric scoop.  :wink:

1 hour ago, riocrokite said:

very nice, probably outside the scope of this development but it would be cool if AM factory was constructable similar to other KSC buildings :)

That's be nice, but a bunch of modeling work to make something high quality. It's in the basement of the R&D building :P. If that building blows up, your factory stops working and you lose all your AM :). 

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

All of which is irrelevant to the reason why that image was posted: As potential concept inspiration for an atmospheric scoop.  :wink:

Well, that one was actually for the space particle scoop. FreeThinker's stuff is still irrelevant to this discussion though, as I'm not making a ramjet... just a scoop. 

@Nertea Oh, I didn't realize you wanted to create Propulsive Fluid Accumulator like in KSPI-E

In that case. this model would be more suitable than the ramjet intake (which is mend to generate magnetic trap:

LEO_Propellant_Depot.jpg

In KSPI-E I have implemented that you can use the atmospheric scoop in low orbit above an atmosphere. I made the density decreases linearly to 0 at upper orbit (which is 250 KM @ Kerbin).  I also made it so that the molecular distribution becomes more dominated by lighter atoms as you get closer to  upper space.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

@Nertea Oh, I didn't realize you wanted to create Propulsive Fluid Accumulator like in KSPI-E

In that case. this model would be more suitable than the ramjet intake (which is mend to generate magnetic trap:

In KSPI-E I have implemented that you can use the atmospheric scoop in low orbit above an atmosphere. I made the density decreases linearly to 0 at upper orbit (which is 250 KM @ Kerbin).  I also made it so that the molecular distribution becomes more dominated by lighter atoms as you get closer to  upper space.

I'm not interested in making KSPI-E though. I'm glad you've implemented this in this way for your projects :). 

1 minute ago, parameciumkid said:

Am I the only one for whom the first post in this thread is just an empty white void? I feel like there are supposed to be pictures or something in there but I don't see anything :\

Forum imgur problem... I replaced it with a generic link

^ Thanks. Very cool so far!

As long as people are throwing ideas into the basket, can I request you look into making a Kugelblitz engine? :D

P.S.: As long as we're on this topic, if you haven't already noticed all your other threads' OPs are borked too xP

Edited by parameciumkid
P.S.

Looks very nice. Don't forget to really crank the prices up because most of the time you have plenty of cash during the end game/end of tech tree. Extremely high prices would mean that it isn't only a matter* of science points to unlock the part, but enough funds to launch it too.

*Pun not intended.

• 1 month later...

@Nertea I just wanted to say how much I love your mods; all of them. I am extremely grateful for all the hours of work you pour in to make this gems that so greatly improve the game we love so much. :)

And if you'll allow me the question, do you have any ideas on implementing Fusion Reactors to FFT, akin to NFT Nuclear Reactors? You didn't seem to mention anything of the type, but I think it is worth asking.

Edited by GabrielG.A.B.Fonseca

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick notice for everyone's information:

Nertea's Near Future Technologies and Stockalike Station Parts Expansion release threads were eaten by the Forum Kraken, along with several other mod threads. Squad is working to restore them. These mods are not discontinued.

Edited by Streetwind

8 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Nertea's Near Future Technologies and Stockalike Station Parts Expansion release threads were eaten by the Forum Kraken, along with several other mod threads. Squad is working to restore them. These mods are not discontinued.

TY, just the info i was looking for.

started to get worried for a moment when i tried to go to several Nertea mod pages

On ‎06‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 10:32 AM, Streetwind said:

Thanks for the update, I was already worried, that some of the best things would be lost.

Regarding a comment you made:

This 1.2 update is getting a bit frustrating. I can't seem to override the Launch button anymore, so that's a real downer. I might have to change things to an "on the pad" filling method

Take a look at the code for KRASH, both current and the old code from Holodeck, it might help

• 2 weeks later...

I installed your new Far Future stuff and started crashing on loading because I'm running into my 16Gb ram limit, I think I'm using too many mods......:confused:

So I did what any seasoned KSP player would do and ordered another 16Gb kit, I think I have a problem lol :P

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Akira_R said:

I installed your new Far Future stuff and started crashing on loading because I'm running into my 16Gb ram limit, I think I'm using too many mods......:confused:

So I did what any seasoned KSP player would do and ordered another 16Gb kit, I think I have a problem lol :P

Wouldn't have thought it was possible to use 16gbs of ram in KSP.

18 minutes ago, SpaceMouse said:

Wouldn't have thought it was possible to use 16gbs of ram in KSP.

I didn't think it was possible either until I watched my ram usage while it was loading lol, I think I have a little over 100 mods installed, I'm using a lot of part mods plus I'm using Galileos Planet Pack with the high resolution ground and cloud textures, plus a 2K skymap a few suit textures and a bunch of head textures, I'm so happy we have stable 64bit now :D

Edited by Akira_R

5 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

I dont think Star Citizen even uses 16GB's on my pc. Lol

It definitely doesn't (I play SC a lot) so far KSP is the only game that has ever caused me to hit that 16Gb limit and is the sole reason I now have 32 gigs of RAM lol, once loaded ksp is now using 19.8Gbs at the main menu :confused: I seriously have a problem... I now have a whole 10Gbs of free RAM and need more mods to fill the space!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.