[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

16 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Also, i wonder if FFT habitats would be a kerbal sized Babylon 5 or Rama.  A large rotating cylinder that was open green space,  20 metre's across, wonderfully massive so that only the biggest of FFT engines feasibly would move it, or constructed in situ.

Are we trying to give Nertea a heart attack now? Imagine the IVA work...

Bigger habs would still go in SSPXr. I continue to want to make this centrifuge/hab set for a 5m set of parts there, but let's be realistic, that's not happening. 

Today I completed revamping the antimatter storage ring...

dos.PNG?width=1000&height=1000

17 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Bigger habs would still go in SSPXr. I continue to want to make this centrifuge/hab set for a 5m set of parts there, but let's be realistic, that's not happening. 

Today I completed revamping the antimatter storage ring...

dos.PNG?width=1000&height=1000

Antimatter is back!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Just one engine and one tank. 

Novice question here.  Is the antimatter anti hydrogen? If so do you react it with LH2? And if that's the case could the antimatter ring have secondary inner ring tank option for said LH2?

Peace.

5 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Novice question here.  Is the antimatter anti hydrogen? If so do you react it with LH2? And if that's the case could the antimatter ring have secondary inner ring tank option for said LH2?

Peace.

It's antiprotons (antihydrogen without the positron). You don't react it with LH2 in a 1:1 ratio in most cases except a pure beam-core engine, which is something I have removed from the mod and is very, very unlikely to return. In the engine I will be shipping, you use it to catalyze a fission reaction by firing it into a mass of subcritical uranium. 

11 hours ago, Nertea said:

I continue to want to make this centrifuge/hab set for a 5m set of parts there...

Wooow, it'd be so cool! Not only a lot of people would love to see Kronos in game, but 5m habitats could really help with super-late-game stations and transfer ships... 

11 hours ago, Nertea said:

... but let's be realistic, that's not happening. 

Oof... No pressure but you said it about FFT too

10 hours ago, NiL said:

Wooow, it'd be so cool! Not only a lot of people would love to see Kronos in game, but 5m habitats could really help with super-late-game stations and transfer ships... 

Oof... No pressure but you said it about FFT too

Yes I agree, but IVAs are the big difference. 

I've more or less locked off these two parts. Next up is the nuclear target tank, followed by the Mini-Mag Orion, which is also getting a scale bump to 5m from its current 3.75m. Then I will be model exhausted and can go back to tuning up SystemHeat.

screen_2000x1000_2020-07-23_15-05-01.png

Edited by Nertea

5 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Yes I agree, but IVAs are the big difference. 

I've more or less locked off these two parts. Next up is the nuclear target tank, followed by the Mini-Mag Orion, which is also getting a scale bump to 5m from its current 3.75m. Then I will be model exhausted and can go back to tuning up SystemHeat.

screen_2000x1000_2020-07-23_15-05-01.png

I don’t want to pester but how much to go till completion, this is looking beautiful and I only want to try everything out as soon as possible

31 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I don’t want to pester but how much to go till completion, this is looking beautiful and I only want to try everything out as soon as possible

FFT will be released tomorrow.

If FFT is not released tomorrow, please reread this post for an updated timeframe on the release of FFT.

2 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So, I would love to say that I work on this 3 hours a day and there are 70 hours left in the project, and therefore it will be released in X. However the reality of things is that some days I work on this 0 hours and some days 6 hours. That means the completion estimate, if I work on this in this pattern, is very very vague. This seems like it's a very difficult concept for the community to grasp and I'm not sure why, perhaps many people are students or very young with big buckets of free time. 

Now, if someone were to pay me my usual engineering consulting rates to do this, it would get done more consistently ;).

In addition, there will likely soon be a release of KSP 1.10.1, which will mean that I no longer have an excuse to not work on Restock 1.10 updates, which will be time consuming because Squad did Squad things (> 20 hours to fix). This will take precedence over work on this mod. Similarly, I will update all of my other mods to 1.10.1, which will also take precedence. 

So in short, I don't know. I would be communicative if I could. I will say that once the models are completed (as indicated, about 3-4 remaining), SystemHeat works to my satisfaction, and the rest of the mod's plugin works to my satisfaction, I will release development versions. 

Any further requests for dates and I'll be annoyed. 

Edited by Nertea

57 minutes ago, Nertea said:

So, I would love to say that I work on this 3 hours a day and there are 70 hours left in the project, and therefore it will be released in X. However the reality of things is that some days I work on this 0 hours and some days 6 hours. That means the completion estimate, if I work on this in this pattern, is very very vague. This seems like it's a very difficult concept for the community to grasp and I'm not sure why, perhaps many people are students or very young with big buckets of free time. 

Now, if someone were to pay me my usual engineering consulting rates to do this, it would get done more consistently ;).

In addition, there will likely soon be a release of KSP 1.10.1, which will mean that I no longer have an excuse to not work on Restock 1.10 updates, which will be time consuming because Squad did Squad things (> 20 hours to fix). This will take precedence over work on this mod. Similarly, I will update all of my other mods to 1.10.1, which will also take precedence. 

So in short, I don't know. I would be communicative if I could. I will say that once the models are completed (as indicated, about 3-4 remaining), SystemHeat works to my satisfaction, and the rest of the mod's plugin works to my satisfaction, I will release development versions. 

Any further requests for dates and I'll be annoyed. 

thats awesome, that was the answer I was expecting and I understand. Its a big project but I think it will be a real success once released.

12 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

so how does this work, the engine shoots targets out and then collides antimatter into them.

Yeah, one target per second detonates, ablates a little under 1kg of solid propellant lining the engine bell per detonation and shoots the re-mass out at ~130km/s.

The original paper 404:s but Wayback Machine came to the rescue:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070306065248/http://www.engr.psu.edu/antimatter/Papers/ICAN.pdf

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

Well, a quick pic of the lineup as it stands now - only one engine left so I am going to go do Restock things now.

screen_2000x1600_2020-07-26_22-06-01.png

Looks like it will work well with Near Future Construction, Do you plan on adding part switches for the FFT fuels to the Near Future Construction parts?

6 hours ago, Nertea said:

Well, a quick pic of the lineup as it stands now - only one engine left so I am going to go do Restock things now.

screen_2000x1600_2020-07-26_22-06-01.png

Good lord this is amazing, keep up the awesome work! :lol:

Edit : Looked at some pages more and seeing that FFT is more then alive has made my day. Also, maximum  a e s t h e t i c

Edited by έķ νίĻĻάίή

These look awesome neartea! I must admit that your mods are the best for any game I have ever played and have given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment. 

Two small questions, what is the last engine for FFT? And where do you get the stats for the engines from? Do you use http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/, or something else? I was wondering as i was hoping to use fft for a career save to got to outer planets in opm, and knowing the stats would help me plan ahead.

Thanks so much for you time and work. Your the best modder I have ever seen.

9 hours ago, kerbodog said:

Looks like it will work well with Near Future Construction, Do you plan on adding part switches for the FFT fuels to the Near Future Construction parts?

Yes, the 5m parts have been designed to jive well with the 5m trusses from NFC. I will not be adding more truss tanks to NFC though, it should be pretty easy to fill the hollow variants with FFT tanks (that's why the hollow variants exist, really).

7 hours ago, hemeac said:

Sounds very exciting

It's really not, especially when they add random pointless things like a flag-covered kickback and I need to figure out how to roll that into my vision. 

1 hour ago, spaceabove said:

These look awesome neartea! I must admit that your mods are the best for any game I have ever played and have given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment. 

Two small questions, what is the last engine for FFT? And where do you get the stats for the engines from? Do you use http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/, or something else? I was wondering as i was hoping to use fft for a career save to got to outer planets in opm, and knowing the stats would help me plan ahead.

Thanks!

I get the stats first by looking into the design, Atomic Rockets helps but usually I try to go to the original paper. Then I build stats around the performance envelope. Copying RL stats does not generate good, consistent gameplay. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.