[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

Check out these high quality digs ...

aUSTaGa.png

8KjTxeE.png

And yes, they're already merge requested in for next release.

Turns out the font for "PKMC" is not available for free, so I had to recreate it entirely with geometry (which would be easier if I had the software & skills to do vector art).  That was of course made possible by having an original. The full words I found a very similar font for free. It's not perfectly 1:1 but I think it looks slick. I made a few different versions: black on transparent, white on black, gray on blue gradient. Aside from being merged to the mod extras, I can make these available standalone (no attribution to me required, credit to Nert for the original logos) if people want a pack.

Edited by Captain Sierra

4 minutes ago, Captain Sierra said:

Check out these high quality digs ...

aUSTaGa.png

8KjTxeE.png

And yes, they're already merge requested in for next release.

Turns out the font for "PKMC" is not available for free, so I had to recreate it entirely with geometry (which would be easier if I had the software & skills to do vector art).  That was of course made possible by having an original. The full words I found a very similar font for free. It's not perfectly 1:1 but I think it looks slick. I made a few different versions: black on transparent, white on black, gray on blue gradient. Aside from being merged to the mod extras, I can make these available standalone (no attribution to me required, credit to Nert for the original logos) if people want a pack.

These are new crewed parts?  Any specs available?

Additional hype.

Peace.

37 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

These are new crewed parts?  Any specs available?

Additional hype.

Peace.

My CMTV (cismunar transfer vehicle) is pretty straight forward to replicate. Cabin + adapter from SSPXr, command pod from NFSpacecraft (stock pod also substitutes), tanks & engines from CryoEngines, structural paneling & misc. retextures from Restock. Here's another view if you want to try to rebuild it:

hVKBVjl.png

Note: the top flat adapter is covered in 24 PX-STAT solar panels for power generation and there's four small radial batteries (the 100s) tucked up behind the structural panels. I found I need to have more battery storage to complete a lunar orbit without going zero-power and the landing legs are a bit wimpy under >50% fuel load. Larger ones are in order. A Mk2 design is probably on my to-do list. In terms of dV, this thing makes it down and back (albeit a little close on fuel) in 2.5x scale.

So I've notice that when I am using the Z-pinch engine with the 3.5m reactor if both are on and I retract a single radiator (my craft had 56 of them) then activate it again upon the radiator finishing its expansion animation my cooling capabilities completely disappear and the reactor quickly overheats and explodes.

EDIT: It seems to require the cooling loop find equilibrium before before retracting the radiator for the bug to manifest upon completing the radiators expansion. Afterwards if all things producing heat are turned off the heat will only fall as low as 900K (the max on the fission reactors core temperature as well as the Z pinch engines new "system temperature" which changes after the bug from 1570K to 900K)

I hope the video I have provided is of assistance.

Mod list: https://pastebin.com/h8iBjhvs

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf6wvabgqdsb98z/KSP.log?dl=0

Link to video of the bug: https://youtu.be/kRRromrc9_I

5 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

So I've notice that when I am using the Z-pinch engine with the 3.5m reactor if both are on and I retract a single radiator (my craft had 56 of them) then activate it again upon the radiator finishing its expansion animation my cooling capabilities completely disappear and the reactor quickly overheats and explodes.

EDIT: It seems to require the cooling loop find equilibrium before before retracting the radiator for the bug to manifest upon completing the radiators expansion. Afterwards if all things producing heat are turned off the heat will only fall as low as 900K (the max on the fission reactors core temperature as well as the Z pinch engines new "system temperature" which changes after the bug from 1570K to 900K)

I hope the video I have provided is of assistance.

Mod list: https://pastebin.com/h8iBjhvs

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf6wvabgqdsb98z/KSP.log?dl=0

Link to video of the bug: https://youtu.be/kRRromrc9_I

I stared at the video for a while and I am having trouble understanding a bit, maybe you can clarify. Here's what I see.

1. You turn on the reactor, and everything is fine, things heat up to the ideal loop temperatures of 900K (only one heat producer in the loop at its output of 900K).
  2. You activate the z-pinch engine and the new ideal loop temperature is 1570K (dominated by the z-pinch engine's output of 1600K)
  3. There seems to be a bug here, where the loop continues to heat up quite slowly despite the massive heat output of the engine.
  4. You do your radiator retract/extend and the loop heats up properly fast now
  5. The reactor melts as expected, because the ideal loop temperature is way above its operating temp

I'll look into that potentially bugged heat up rate, but the overall behaviour seems correct. In natural equilibrium state, this setup will always cook your reactor, because the Z-pinch engine is too hot to be in the same loop as it. Put the reactors and its radiators in their own loop. 

I'm pretty sure if you look at this situation in the editor with the heat overlay on, it'll throw up alerts in the UI...

13 hours ago, Nertea said:

I stared at the video for a while and I am having trouble understanding a bit, maybe you can clarify. Here's what I see.

1. You turn on the reactor, and everything is fine, things heat up to the ideal loop temperatures of 900K (only one heat producer in the loop at its output of 900K).
  2. You activate the z-pinch engine and the new ideal loop temperature is 1570K (dominated by the z-pinch engine's output of 1600K)
  3. There seems to be a bug here, where the loop continues to heat up quite slowly despite the massive heat output of the engine.
  4. You do your radiator retract/extend and the loop heats up properly fast now
  5. The reactor melts as expected, because the ideal loop temperature is way above its operating temp

I'll look into that potentially bugged heat up rate, but the overall behaviour seems correct. In natural equilibrium state, this setup will always cook your reactor, because the Z-pinch engine is too hot to be in the same loop as it. Put the reactors and its radiators in their own loop. 

I'm pretty sure if you look at this situation in the editor with the heat overlay on, it'll throw up alerts in the UI...

That's slowly? Even with the 8 things of coolant I have? 8+24*2= 56 of the largest radiators isnt enough cooling?

Before I toggle the radiator the system finds equilibrium at around 550K. Also, if the core temp with the reactor alone is at 900K and with all those radiators shouldn't the equilibrium be below 900K?

Edited by mcwaffles2003

8 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

That's slowly? Even with the 8 things of coolant I have? 8+24*2= 56 of the largest radiators isnt enough cooling?

Before I toggle the radiator the system finds equilibrium at around 550K. Also, if the core temp with the reactor alone is at 900K and with all those radiators shouldn't the equilibrium be below 900K?

That's what I'm talking about. There's a slowdown of heatup around 550K that should not be happening. The big heat spike that you see after retracting and extending the radiator is more typical of what you should see (a very rapid jump to loop operating temperature). 

I misspoke when I say there was 'equilibrium' - SystemHeat does not have a real concept of equilibrium below ideal operating temperature, when the loop is below ideal it should always trend towards ideal temperature. This is no matter how many radiators you add. In some edge cases you might get an equilibrium above operating temperature, if the radiators have a maximum operating temperature that is higher than the ideal operating temperature and they don't fully cool the system at operating temperature. That's not going to happen a lot though.

Again though, this setup you have is functionally never going to work, this bug just slightly delayed the inevitable. I've put together a conceptual guide to SH on the SH Wiki,  if you're unclear on the concepts please have a look and give me feedback. 

Edited by Nertea

On 12/29/2020 at 1:34 AM, mcwaffles2003 said:

Overall I think SystemHeat 0.3.3 will fix this slow speedup thing - at least I replicated your setup in the video as best I could and now things seem to break correctly :). 

7 hours ago, Nertea said:

Overall I think SystemHeat 0.3.3 will fix this slow speedup thing - at least I replicated your setup in the video as best I could and now things seem to break correctly :). 

Would you like me to send you the craft file as well by chance? Also, as the previous poster said:

On 12/29/2020 at 12:48 PM, The Dressian Exploder said:

Nert deserves a rest first though.

Go get some sleep man! I just posted this for when you get back from your hibernation.

14 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Would you like me to send you the craft file as well by chance? Also, as the previous poster said:

Go get some sleep man! I just posted this for when you get back from your hibernation.

I mod between 5 am and 8 am when my 3 month old wakes me up, sleep is a luxury.

Craft file probably not required unless you see more weird things with 0.3.3 ;). Also might be best to post those in the SystemHeat thread, so I can keep development related to that in one place. 

28 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Craft file probably not required unless you see more weird things with 0.3.3 ;). Also might be best to post those in the SystemHeat thread, so I can keep development related to that in one place. 

The parent life sounds rough but at least the little one's on a schedule :P. That said, noted and will do. Thanks again for your brilliant suite of mods.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 1:00 PM, Nertea said:

[Off topic] Hey congrats, man! I've been playing KSP since my kids were babies still (2014)!

I love your mods, get some sleep when you can!

• 3 weeks later...

It's getting near time again. So let's fire up an early 2020 meme. 

4vmone.jpg

Next project on the launch pad is the methalox expansion for CryoEngines. This will be a full set of engines from 0.625m to 3.75m, in booster and vacuum flavours for each size class. Let the good times roll!

Starting with two 0.625m engines, based on the ESA Prometheus concept...

pro.png

And the RS-18.

frend.png

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

It's getting near time again. So let's fire up an early 2020 meme. 

4vmone.jpg

Next project on the launch pad is the methalox expansion for CryoEngines. This will be a full set of engines from 0.625m to 3.75m, in booster and vacuum flavours for each size class. Let the good times roll!

Starting with two 0.625m engines, based on the ESA Prometheus concept...

pro.png

And the RS-18.

frend.png

yay!

Nertea! Hello! I love your mods and want to participate in one of them. I am an excellent translator (in my works there are such mods as: Beyond home, Minor planet expansion, Dres moons). Can I translate your new mod? it will be much easier in the early stages of coding. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Nertea said:

early 2020 meme

BRRRRRRRRRR

Anyways, Yay!!! So glad this is happening!

Have you considered a DEAN Aerospike? https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a558199.pdf I think it would be a cool addition.

(are you still figuring out scope? If not then I'll stop suggesting things)

6 hours ago, Kunosheru said:

Nertea! Hello! I love your mods and want to participate in one of them. I am an excellent translator (in my works there are such mods as: Beyond home, Minor planet expansion, Dres moons). Can I translate your new mod? it will be much easier in the early stages of coding. Thanks!

Help is always appreciated, but isn't this actually harder at the beginning? Strings are in constant evolution  until fairly close to the release and I do typically provide a configured localization file. Maybe you can elaborate on your needs. 

5 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

BRRRRRRRRRR

Anyways, Yay!!! So glad this is happening!

Have you considered a DEAN Aerospike? https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a558199.pdf I think it would be a cool addition.

(are you still figuring out scope? If not then I'll stop suggesting things)

I am looking for reasonable engines to fill 2.5m and 3.75m vacuum slots (the 3.75m will likely be a cluster), that's about it, the scope is pretty fixed. I won't be putting aerospikes in this mod (decision I made a while ago). 

Edited by Nertea

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.