[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

On 1/29/2021 at 4:13 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Restock Waterfall iirc gives the stock RAPIER purple flames. I think Methalox is already implied. You then just need to MM its fuel mix and Isp.

Pretty sure that’s RealPlume you’re thinking of. 

@Nertea

So, having given a bit of thought to the difficulties that you have been facing with the Methalox expansion, I have some new ideas.

FEEL FREE TO SHOOT ME DOWN

This is a potential option if you can't find enough source material for a bunch of purely methalox engines. 

I think it would be a good option to add a few more hydrolox engines to flesh out the update a bit. It's all up to you though, you the one making the stuff :)

A few options:

• The RD-0146  -  A super-effiecient upper stage engine with  quite crappy thrust. 
  • BE-3/U - Average, cheap upper stage engine with moderate thrust and sub-440 ISP due to its sea level origins.
  • Vinci - Powerful, Efficient, EXPENSIVE. 
  • GSLV3 CE20 - More powerful, less efficient. Middling cost for an expendable LV.
  • KVD1/RD56 - Another good vacuum engine
  • TR-106 - Booster engine that was extremely powerful and reached the test stand.
  • There is already an RD-701 in NFLV, but if CE was installed it would be cool to have it switch modes like IRL.
  • LR-87 LH2

Other than that, maybe a BE4 Vac in the actual methalox vein? :rolleyes:

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

On 1/31/2021 at 5:05 AM, rextable said:

Hey Nertea

Slightly off the topic of the moment, but: I recall you (or someone somewhere) mentioning you were working on new models for Dmagic's Orbital Science Mod. Did I imagine that? Assuming I didn't, is there any danger of that project seeing the light of day this year? 

I was considering it at one point, but haven't really felt like it would be enjoyable, so not likely to happen.

4 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

So, having given a bit of thought to the difficulties that you have been facing with the Methalox expansion, I have some new ideas.

FEEL FREE TO SHOOT ME DOWN

This is a potential option if you can't find enough source material for a bunch of purely methalox engines. 

I think it would be a good option to add a few more hydrolox engines to flesh out the update a bit. It's all up to you though, you the one making the stuff :)

A few options:

• The RD-0146  -  A super-effiecient upper stage engine with  quite crappy thrust. 
  • BE-3/U - Average, cheap upper stage engine with moderate thrust and sub-440 ISP due to its sea level origins.
  • Vinci - Powerful, Efficient, EXPENSIVE. 
  • GSLV3 CE20 - More powerful, less efficient. Middling cost for an expendable LV.
  • KVD1/RD56 - Another good vacuum engine
  • TR-106 - Booster engine that was extremely powerful and reached the test stand.
  • There is already an RD-701 in NFLV, but if CE was installed it would be cool to have it switch modes like IRL.
  • LR-87 LH2

Other than that, maybe a BE4 Vac in the actual methalox vein? :rolleyes:

There is always room for more part modders in the community ;)

Finished off the Prometheus and RS-18.

unknown.png

These will all end up with the standard set of variants - atmospheric engines get Compact, Boattail and ring of their relevant size, vacuum engines just get Compact and Ring

unknown.png

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

There is always room for more part modders in the community ;)

Lol I've tried. :rolleyes:

I can make a decent rocket nozzle,  but I've got no idea how to detail it or make the turbopumps and stuff. :confused:

Probably doesn't help that I do it in Fusion360, because that's what I'm learning in school. I tried Blender, but couldn't really figure it out. If you have any tips or know a good tutorial, let me know :)!

Other than that, I'm really liking how those engines are coming along. I think they both look great. :D

14 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Lol I've tried. :rolleyes:

I can make a decent rocket nozzle,  but I've got no idea how to detail it or make the turbopumps and stuff. :confused:

Probably doesn't help that I do it in Fusion360, because that's what I'm learning in school. I tried Blender, but couldn't really figure it out. If you have any tips or know a good tutorial, let me know :)!

Other than that, I'm really liking how those engines are coming along. I think they both look great. :D

Oh, I'm always like ''today I will become a modder'' and I open Blender and place 1 Cylinder, but thats it. I can't figure Blender out too, well yes, there are tutorials (even for ksp) but they are either not for ksp stuff or so old that they don't help with the current blender versions  ;.;

Just now, SpaceFace545 said:

They look amazing but are these going to be kerbal scale because last time I felt that the engines were way too big to be usefull.

These 2 are 0.625m, there are also gonna be (probably) 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m and hopefully 1.875m

And well, these engines (together with the NFLV engines) fell to me like endgame engines, so it's good that they are so powerful IMO

also, I don't want to use SSME on anything other than shuttles and SDLVs (of course IMO)

10 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

Oh, I'm always like ''today I will become a modder'' and I open Blender and place 1 Cylinder, but thats it. I can't figure Blender out too, well yes, there are tutorials (even for ksp) but they are either not for ksp stuff or so old that they don't help with the current blender versions  ;.;

Hey! You made a fuel tank! :P

29 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

These 2 are 0.625m, there are also gonna be (probably) 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m and hopefully 1.875m

And well, these engines (together with the NFLV engines) fell to me like endgame engines, so it's good that they are so powerful IMO

also, I don't want to use SSME on anything other than shuttles and SDLVs (of course IMO)

thank god, I think rs 18 was 2.5m last time

I have an Idea

what If we make a mod dedicated for adding stuff to nertea's mods that the community wants (like the engines @Spaceman.Spiff recommended), maintained by us, the ''NF Community''?

like it would be named NFTCA (Near Future Technologies Community Addon) or NMCA (Nertea Mods Community Addon), it could be splitted into small mods, each for one of nerteas mods, for example NFTCA-NFLV for NFLV or

NFTCA-FFT for FFT, but It would be developed like 1 mod. This would add, like I said, stuff like new engines, antennas, tanks and other stuff the ''NF Community'' would want to be in NFT, but it would be in this mod/ these mods

I would love to mod, but I sadly don't know how to do it ;.;. Hopefully (if we would do it) somebody can teach me how to do models, texturing, unity stuff, etc. But I'f I couldn't myself do the stuff, I have some really cool designs and concepts in my head

Of course only in nertea allows this and if anyone else wants to do it with me

I have an Idea

what If we make a mod dedicated for adding stuff to nertea's mods that the community wants (like the engines @Spaceman.Spiff recommended), maintained by us, the ''NF Community''?

like it would be named NFTCA (Near Future Technologies Community Addon) or NMCA (Nertea Mods Community Addon), it could be splitted into small mods, each for one of nerteas mods, for example NFTCA-NFLV for NFLV or

NFTCA-FFT for FFT, but It would be developed like 1 mod. This would add, like I said, stuff like new engines, antennas, tanks and other stuff the ''NF Community'' would want to be in NFT, but it would be in this mod/ these mods

I would love to mod, but I sadly don't know how to do it ;.;. Hopefully (if we would do it) somebody can teach me how to do models, texturing, unity stuff, etc. But I'f I couldn't myself do the stuff, I have some really cool designs and concepts in my head

I'm currently making a list of stuff we could add if we do it, if we do it, then let's make some sort of group to develop the mod(s)

23 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

I have an Idea

I have an Idea

I'm currently making a list of stuff we could add if we do it, if we do it, then let's make some sort of group to develop the mod(s)

I don't know how to mod but I'm in. I sorta understand blender so I think I'm in your boat.

55 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

I have an Idea

That would be interesting.

We would need to compile some modding resources, because I know heck-all about texturing and unwrapping and all that stuff. I don't even know that much about modelling!

However,  we do need Nert's blessing to do that. 

If we get permission, maybe he'll also share his model-crafting and general epic modding secrets :ph34r:

Nert might be the model machine, but we could be the model factory! :wink:

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

1 minute ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

We would need to compile some modding resources, because I know heck-all about texturing and unwrapping and all that stuff. I don't even know that much about modelling!

If we get permission, maybe he'll also share his model-crafting and general epic modding secrets :ph34r:

We could be a part of an inner circle

50 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Nert might be the model machine, but we could be the model factory! :wink:

yes, we need to gather the knowledge and recources about modeling, then we will make the forums shine!

I also like all comments, I can't like more comments because of the limit

11 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

yes, we need to gather the knowledge and recources about modeling, then we will make the forums shine!

I also like all comments, I can't like more comments because of the limit

Could we make a discord or something, also sorry I keep responding to stuff every ten minutes, US history is pretty boring

6 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Could we make a discord or something, also sorry I keep responding to stuff every ten minutes, US history is pretty boring

I don't know how to create one, but yeah, I have a account :)

good luck in US history (lol, had german history today)

I appreciate the enthusiasm and the ideas.

If you all wish to make add-ons to NF, you can do that - you don't need my permission, it would be your own mods and I'm happy to consult/provide support/elaborate on the concepts I use. Just keep in mind that what you build won't get real first-party support from me.

I thought this was an interesting progression. M-10, ESA engine designed for Vega-E, fills the 1.25m vacuum slot. 

Model + AO bake.

unknown.png

Basic color. 

unknown.png

Basic color + normals. 

unknown.png

Completed color, normals, specular.

unknown.png

Edited by Nertea

For someone who doesn't know a ton about the performance trade offs between metholox, hydrolox, and whatever liquid fuel is supposed to represent, @Nertea would you mind sharing what the intended role these methane engines will have? Like when would I want one of these instead of a fuel dense, but heavy liquid fuel engine or a more efficient, lighter weight, not fuel dense hydrogen engines?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.