[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

8 hours ago, RyanRising said:

I’m always a little saddened to hear how unpleasant working on IVA spaces is - they add so, so much to the experience of using the parts, and the game wouldn’t be the same without the ability to look out the window and appreciate your accomplishments from the scale of your crew. But since making them is bad enough that every time they’re mentioned it comes accompanied with a frowny face, it’s hard to say that (IMO) the best part of having crewed modded parts is worth it. It’s a wonder we get any mods with them at all.

ooh, pretty.

I'm not sure I agree, when I look at where people seem to comment and how I see them used, as well as the number of installs where they have been deleted, they don't seem valuable. People seem to like seeing them initially, then don't use them past that first inspection load. Just not enough reason to go in beyond the occasional look out of a porthole.

This does ignore the people who use MAS/RPM, but those people are in quite a minority as well.

This projects full scope has not been decided, but there will only be 4 IVA parts, which are the ones shown here. Otherwise expect a similar roster as in the other size classes.

6 hours ago, Nertea said:

I'm not sure I agree, when I look at where people seem to comment and how I see them used, as well as the number of installs where they have been deleted, they don't seem valuable. People seem to like seeing them initially, then don't use them past that first inspection load. Just not enough reason to go in beyond the occasional look out of a porthole.

This does ignore the people who use MAS/RPM, but those people are in quite a minority as well.

This projects full scope has not been decided, but there will only be 4 IVA parts, which are the ones shown here. Otherwise expect a similar roster as in the other size classes.

Sorry if I sounded like I was trying to say IVAs do get the appreciation they deserve - they definitely don't. I'd just like to throw in that the occasional look around and outside a porthole is something I really do like to do, and many of the magical moments this game brings wouldn't be as magical without the ability to do so. It's a bummer the majority doesn't seem to think that's as important.

I am, conversely, really happy we're getting IVAs for these parts as well!

Edited by RyanRising
positives!

As a complete IVA snob, I'm thrilled to see we are getting some more Nerta quality crewed parts to play with. I get that IVAs don't have much of any practical value, and that most players probably don't care that much, but I spend more time than I should considering the internal layout of my vessels, and high quality IVAs just make me happy inside.

Edited by TBenz

I love IVAs and think they are worth the trouble in some cases. I believe that the fact we can look inside our spaceship at our little green men in a cool way experience, however...

...sometimes they aren’t worth it, even if they look magical, like how the SSPXr IVAs took so much room up in my game data folder, I had to delete them so my game didn’t take 25 minutes to load (Sorry Nertea ;.;)

Therefore, I’m impartial to IVAs, considering their effort and they fact they are often deleted but also how cool they make the games experience 

I look at IVAs once to go "wow, they actually modeled this, that's cool" and then never look at them again. It's cool they exist, but I wouldn't miss them if parts were released without them.

Edited by Why485

20 hours ago, Nertea said:

People seem to like seeing them initially, then don't use them past that first inspection load. Just not enough reason to go in beyond the occasional look out of a porthole.

Perhaps modular IVA's can solve the problem? Standard IVA's based on part function and size would maybe be too boring,  but I can imagine a standart 1:1 length-width "tubular" IVA preset with walls, seats and a ladder, and perhaps a 1/6  circumference and 1/1 height "prop blocks" of different purposes (a lab, habitation, utility, blank?), which can be copypasted and combined with portholes added between them. If technically possible, it wouldn't be too repeatable and would easily cover basic cylindrical modules with little tweaking here and there.  Another way to go could be a cubic IVA's with stuff painted on the walls and a little prop thrown here and there, Kerbals could even float as in weightlessness (Knes has this kind of IVA's); the only downside is that it would be more difficult to deal with portholes, I imagine.  Also as a minimum you could easilly copy IVA's from another parts if they are close enough for the purpose, there are pathes for Tantares that do just that and I don't think anyone is against it. IVA's, IMO, althrough are rarely used, do add a lot to the game expirience just by players knowing they are there.  It's the small things, like emissives on RCS nozzles, proper engine nozzle from a downside view or kerbals shaking their hands when idle for a long time that really create the emersive expirience in the game.
Of course if you would choose not to do iva's everyone would be ok with it too, I'm not bargaining, just suggesting. Here is how it could look (I feel like my explanation was kinda bad): https://imgur.com/gallery/ExL8BGU

Edited by NiL
grammar too, I def. missed my morning coffee

4 hours ago, NiL said:

Perhaps modular IVA's can solve the problem? Standard IVA's based on part function and size would maybe be too boring,  but I can imagine a standart 1:1 length-width "tubular" IVA preset with walls, seats and a ladder, and perhaps a 1/6  circumference and 1/1 height "prop blocks" of different purposes (a lab, habitation, utility, blank?), which can be copypasted and combined with portholes added between them. If technically possible, it wouldn't be too repeatable and would easily cover basic cylindrical modules with little tweaking here and there.  Another way to go could be a cubic IVA's with stuff painted on the walls and a little prop thrown here and there, Kerbals could even float as in weightlessness (Knes has this kind of IVA's); the only downside is that it would be more difficult to deal with portholes, I imagine.  Also as a minimum you could easilly copy IVA's from another parts if they are close enough for the purpose, there are pathes for Tantares that do just that and I don't think anyone is against it. IVA's, IMO, althrough are rarely used, do add a lot to the game expirience just by players knowing they are there.  It's the small things, like emissives on RCS nozzles, proper engine nozzle from a downside view or kerbals shaking their hands when idle for a long time that really create the emersive expirience in the game.
Of course if you would choose not to do iva's everyone would be ok with it too, I'm not bargaining, just suggesting. Here is how it could look (I feel like my explanation was kinda bad): https://imgur.com/gallery/ExL8BGU

That’s Not a bad idea at all, in fact it’s quite an amazing idea to have modular IVAs!

It would also save to space too as you only need a few basic rooms and some props, and code putting the props in the rooms for certain parts (Or something like that)

I already build IVA spaces with partial modularity, this suffers when porthole locations, crew locations, etc start to vary. Anytime you start messing with those, you need to re-bake AO and then poof all done, you're incurring a large fraction of the effort.

I'm going to do the ones I committed to, it's unlikely that anyone will convince me to do more.  

unknown.png

i swear i will enjoy every second in your IVAs (and the Near Future Props) with the new updated WIP free IVA mod-yeah!  SiKlAqY.png

Spoiler

BTW your hatch would be cool in the mod if pizzaoverhead JonnyOThan can use it in his this mod (like on the pic above just inside a vessel)

Edited by Burning Kan
no DLlink now

Hey Nertea 

I don't know if you have done this in the past or not, but have you considered doing a 'which-project-should-I-do-next' pole? If you only included options that you yourself are interested in doing, it might help you get motivated about one of them if you sore the measure of other people's interest too. 

Just a thought ;-) 

x

Just now, rextable said:

Hey Nertea 

I don't know if you have done this in the past or not, but have you considered doing a 'which-project-should-I-do-next' pole? If you only included options that you yourself are interested in doing, it might help you get motivated about one of them if you sore the measure of other people's interest too. 

Just a thought ;-) 

x

he already made one, I think 1.875m SSPXr parts won

On 3/22/2021 at 12:57 PM, rextable said:

Hey Nertea 

Just a thought ;-) 

x

Top of the previous page in this thread

Moving along slowly...

unknown.png?width=1623&height=1340

For those who haven't guessed yet, these are the 1.875m station core (based loosely on the Mir Kvant module) and habitation module (based loosely on Zvesda and Mir core). The confirmed planned part list now includes:

• Station core
  • Habitation module
  • Utility module
  • Science lab
  • Crew tube (three lengths)
  • Surface attach tube
  • Four adapters (2.5 -> 1.875, 1.875-> 1.25, flat 1.875 -> 1.25, 1.875 -> 0.625)
  • Multi-hub (6x, 5x, 4x, 3x variants)
  • Angled connector

Parts that might make an appearance if motivation holds out:

• Cupola module
  • Greenhouse module
  • Short habitation module
  • Cargo tube 

Parts that absolutely won't make an appearance:

• Inflatables
Edited by Nertea

On 3/27/2021 at 11:09 PM, Nertea said:

Parts that might make an appearance if motivation holds out:

• Cupola module
  • Greenhouse module
  • Short habitation module
  • Cargo tube 

Parts that absolutely won't make an appearance:

• Inflatables

I *do* use IVAs, but realize the amount of work involved - glad there will be some, and my attitude is that I seriously appreciate them when they are there - so thanks!

"Might make an appearance" - there's a shortage of truly good greenhouse parts, so I would encourage you to do that over another cupola if you are inclined. I'd love to see your take on one of those. Also very glad to see more non-inflatable parts. They certainly have a place, but I'd imagine the animations are a lot of work.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:19 PM, panarchist said:

"Might make an appearance" - there's a shortage of truly good greenhouse parts, so I would encourage you to do that over another cupola if you are inclined. I'd love to see your take on one of those. Also very glad to see more non-inflatable parts. They certainly have a place, but I'd imagine the animations are a lot of work.

I mean there are already two greenhouses in the mod so, probably mostly like that. Inflatables need IVAs that are frequently large which is why they are excluded.

Completed variants.

unknown.png

unknown.png

8 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I mean there are already two greenhouses in the mod so, probably mostly like that. Inflatables need IVAs that are frequently large which is why they are excluded.

Completed variants.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Will the 'white paint' texture also be added to SSPXr Extras for the other parts, or will it only be avaliable for 1.875m station parts? Also, will the other parts' 'padded' textures be updated to match these better?

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Completed variants.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Just curious, what's up with what appears to be red dwarf lighting?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.