[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

5 hours ago, Davi SDF said:

Near Future Launch vehicles has 5m docking ports i believe

Great! I didn't know this... So I'll get the mod, as soon as I am back on my pc these days (currently have some bbq ribs in the smoker which require my full attention and love :sticktongue: Nice sunshine bbq weather in Germany :cool:)...

Are these engines in the Near Future launch vehicles waterfallized with some nice plumes ?

And another question on the heavy launchers: what are these LF-Engines, which are to be seen in the imgur gallery of the mod? Are they some kind of nuclear engines? 

Sidenote: I never modded my KSP until waterfall dropped (which I had to get...) and now, that KSP doesn't get major updates anymore i dive slowly more and more into nertea's parts cosmos - and love it. And since 1.12.x is the last version, I lose my major reason not to mod my ksp: to keep up-to-date with the current ksp-basegame and its DLCs. Currently I'm still on 1.11.2 in order to wait for upgrades of the mods.

Sorry, that I ask silly questions, as I dive into nerteas parts world step by step and am simply overwhelmed by the amount of content. Sometimes a bit much to get through and understand at first glance.

Edited by Rakete

7 hours ago, Rakete said:

How to connect these 5m Parts without wobble? Is the clampotron sr. strong enough?

There is a 5m docking port in NFLV, and a 3.75m one in Restock+

7 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

@Nertea, would this new tease, or any of the new centrifugal habs be well suited to making closely stacked, counter-rotating designs? In the live release, anything 3.75m or bigger mounting size is so tall, that they don't stack nicely.

I guess this is sort of a request for a flatter centrifuge design that stacks nicely.

God no, centrifuges take forever and a day to make. 

2 hours ago, Rakete said:

And another question on the heavy launchers: what are these LF-Engines, which are to be seen in the imgur gallery of the mod? Are they some kind of nuclear engines? 

They are just somewhat different engines with different performance profiles to stock. Not necessarily better but maybe useful in some cases.

2 hours ago, Rakete said:

Are these engines in the Near Future launch vehicles waterfallized with some nice plumes ?

Yep.

@Nertea

Great, thanks. Really like your work, especially waterfall! Made KSP a whole different game for me.

Just for interest: If I like the stock KSP design and don't want to implement the whole restock revamp (for compatibility reasons to my very complex and detail-optimized (for the Mr. Monk in me) workhorse crafts (mostly Spaceplanes) made of stock parts (don't want to rework them all after restock mod-install as it might break some aestetic descision I made on them) ), but some parts like the 3,75m dockingport or some additional nuclear engine from restock +.

Is there an easy way, how I can pick and chose only some exclusive new (additional) parts from restock plus ? Maybe some kind of : "grab file part123.abc, part123.cfg and part123.xyz, put it a folder and you have the part extracted, if you just want that." ?

Or Plan B: a way to only install Restock Plus  and only the files from restock, that forms the dependency and not the revamp (because of not wanting to re-optimize my whole beloved SSTO-Fleet)?

Edited by Rakete

Addendum and a little hint: It's a bit strange, that the cool additional Near future docking ports are scattered over the mod packages near future stations parts (very cool variants like the extendable clampotron), launch vehicles (5m port), restock plus (3,75m port), and contruction parts (yeah, I discovered there also really cool docking pieces in truss structures)... maybe it would make sense to bundle them in a sub-package, so you can pick the "connectivity parts" as a whole package and get the docking ports in every size and not scattered over like 4 or 5 mod packages with parts you might not need or want, right now. That's why people like me ask silly questions for a special size part, as I didn't know, that it's already in an another NF package.

It would be also easier for the dev, since not 5 mod packages need to be updated for docking compatibility to squads newest tricks around them. And you could circumvent any oversights of dockingports, as they all would be in one package.

Just my two cents. Please don't be mad on me for my silly modding-unexperienced thoughts. Maybe I just didn't get the deeper logic in that. In that case: Sorry for that.

Edited by Rakete

21 hours ago, Rakete said:

how I can pick and chose only some exclusive new (additional) parts from restock plus

Restockplus uses assets from restock so no easy way.

You COULD whitelist everything.  See back a page or so for instructions on the docking ports as an example.

Alternately look to the DLC Making History and the mod Missing History as these add many but not all of the components.

Peace.

51 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Restockplus uses assets from restock so no easy way.

You COULD whitelist everything.  See back a page or so for instructions on the docking ports as an example.

Alternately look to the DLC Making History and the mod Missing History as these add many but not all of the components.

Peace.

So I can not simply install Restock+ and only the assets of Restock (some folder)? 

Edited by Rakete

23 hours ago, Rakete said:

@Nertea

Great, thanks. Really like your work, especially waterfall! Made KSP a whole different game for me.

Just for interest: If I like the stock KSP design and don't want to implement the whole restock revamp (for compatibility reasons to my very complex and detail-optimized (for the Mr. Monk in me) workhorse crafts (mostly Spaceplanes) made of stock parts (don't want to rework them all after restock mod-install as it might break some aestetic descision I made on them) ), but some parts like the 3,75m dockingport or some additional nuclear engine from restock +.

Is there an easy way, how I can pick and chose only some exclusive new (additional) parts from restock plus ? Maybe some kind of : "grab file part123.abc, part123.cfg and part123.xyz, put it a folder and you have the part extracted, if you just want that." ?

Or Plan B: a way to only install Restock Plus  and only the files from restock, that forms the dependency and not the revamp (because of not wanting to re-optimize my whole beloved SSTO-Fleet)?

It should be possible to install both Restock and Restock+ then delete all the restock patches and whitelist all the stock patches. That's a quick and dirty way to do it, and would cause your game to load ALL the stock and restock assets when it won't be using most of the Restock stuff. But it should work and not require a ton of jumping through hoops and testing.

Is there some kind of wiki for all of the NF and FF parts from nertea, that explain the mechanics behind the shiny new enginetypes that come with all those fantasticm mod packages? 

So some "how-to" and "consider-this" would be nice somewhere. E.g. I understood the core cooling system of stock ksp through reading ksp-wiki as the game does not tell much. I'd love a place to go there and read about the underlying game mechanics of the new engines from near future, far future and kerbal atomics.

16 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

@Nertea, is a front dust shield like that found on the Kronus-1 going to be in the mod? It would be really cool for interstellar missions

Personally, I put an inflatable heat shield on the front to use as the dust shield. If you click on my profile icon, you'll see a pic of one of the interstellar craft I built with one of those shields.

Edited by panarchist

7 hours ago, SiCaRiO31 said:

would this be the correct thread to ask for a rebalance in Restock+? Its about the Pug, it has way to much fuel for its size, it makes it better thant the Terrier for most situations, even trough it has less ISP.

Nope, there's a thread for Restock and this is not it. 

17 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

@Nertea, is a front dust shield like that found on the Kronus-1 going to be in the mod? It would be really cool for interstellar missions

Yeah sure but a vast quantity of work for something totally pointless in KSP and something that would immediately create demand for a million different sizes and shapes.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:58 AM, Rakete said:

Is there some kind of wiki for all of the NF and FF parts from nertea, that explain the mechanics behind the shiny new enginetypes that come with all those fantasticm mod packages? 

So some "how-to" and "consider-this" would be nice somewhere. E.g. I understood the core cooling system of stock ksp through reading ksp-wiki as the game does not tell much. I'd love a place to go there and read about the underlying game mechanics of the new engines from near future, far future and kerbal atomics.

There are conceptual explanations on the Github wikis of the more complex mods. 

On 6/27/2021 at 9:54 AM, Rakete said:

Addendum and a little hint: It's a bit strange, that the cool additional Near future docking ports are scattered over the mod packages near future stations parts (very cool variants like the extendable clampotron), launch vehicles (5m port), restock plus (3,75m port), and contruction parts (yeah, I discovered there also really cool docking pieces in truss structures)... maybe it would make sense to bundle them in a sub-package, so you can pick the "connectivity parts" as a whole package and get the docking ports in every size and not scattered over like 4 or 5 mod packages with parts you might not need or want, right now. That's why people like me ask silly questions for a special size part, as I didn't know, that it's already in an another NF package.

It would be also easier for the dev, since not 5 mod packages need to be updated for docking compatibility to squads newest tricks around them. And you could circumvent any oversights of dockingports, as they all would be in one package.

Just my two cents. Please don't be mad on me for my silly modding-unexperienced thoughts. Maybe I just didn't get the deeper logic in that. In that case: Sorry for that.

The way it is right now makes sense to me.

• The 3.75m docking port is part of the expanded 3.75m part set, which is part of Restock+
  • The 5m docking port is part of the expanded 5m part set, which is part of NFLV
  • The truss docking ports are part of the trusses which are part of NFC (and honestly not very useful without NFC)

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Yeah sure but a vast quantity of work for something totally pointless in KSP and something that would immediately create demand for a million different sizes and shapes.

It could work as a heatshield, for aerobraking large vessels. Current biggest heatshield, I believe, expands to 10m? 3.75 or 5m flat-ish shield could expand to like 20m (I would suggest a 3.57m form-factor with toggleable 5m grid mech around it), which is insufficient for aerobraking 5m or evel long 3.75m vessels. 
Edit: I suggest doing only one part, of course, with one extension animation

Edited by NiL

I don't know if I should be doing this in the near future electrical Forum, but is it possible we could have longer capacitors? Unless you are doing extremely long burns that I don't know if it's even possible in stock, capacitors are far more lightweight than reactors, but because they're all short, using them results in very high part count, even in combination with reactors. Trying to use the larger ones results in a discharge rate that is far too much compared to batteries to be efficient. It would probably just be one part that is 3 or 4 times longer for each diameter, and I don't think it would be hard for the model. I just think a longer version would solve some issues- we already have a lengthened version for batteries.

1 hour ago, rocketman525 said:

I don't know if I should be doing this in the near future electrical Forum, but is it possible we could have longer capacitors? Unless you are doing extremely long burns that I don't know if it's even possible in stock, capacitors are far more lightweight than reactors, but because they're all short, using them results in very high part count, even in combination with reactors. Trying to use the larger ones results in a discharge rate that is far too much compared to batteries to be efficient. It would probably just be one part that is 3 or 4 times longer for each diameter, and I don't think it would be hard for the model. I just think a longer version would solve some issues- we already have a lengthened version for batteries.

Sorry, no plans to do this.

I just got this bad boy all baked and animated! It was an extremely long and frustrating road!

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

25 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

how much G-force will it have? (when it spins)

As many as you'd like, but I really doubt that he calculated the spin rate and how much gravity it would produce. You are more than welcome to calculate it yourself though. A rough guess for the diameter is somewhere around 50m. My rough calculations give me around 4.2 rotations per minute to provide about 1g.

14 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

As many as you'd like, but I really doubt that he calculated the spin rate and how much gravity it would produce. You are more than welcome to calculate it yourself though. A rough guess for the diameter is somewhere around 50m. My rough calculations give me around 4.2 rotations per minute to provide about 1g.

Well, the animation has a specific rotation rate and the description of other centrifuges list a gravity level

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.