[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

56 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I haven't modeled them as such but I guess I could think about it.

I also had in the past modeled some RTGs that I will be working on

unknown.png

More or less balance as follows:

PB-NUK Early General Purpose Heavy Advanced
.8 Ec/s .5 Ec/s 1 to 1.5 Ec/s 2 Ec/s 3 Ec/s
Poor mass ratio Poor mass ratio Poor mass ratio Poor mass ratio Adequate mass ratio

Holy cow... I'm so impressed by your modeling and development speed. How do you manage to create all this great stuff all in your freetime after work ?! 

Edited by Rakete

3 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

What are the inspirations for these? I think one of them is the GPHS. 

I think the early one is based off the SNAP-27 used on the Apollo ALSEPs.

HamishALSEP

The general-purpose one looks like the GPHS-RTG, like you said.

300px-Cutdrawing_of_an_GPHS-RTG.png

The heavy model looks like an MMRTG to me

640px-MMRTG_for_the_MSL.jpg

The advanced model is the ASRG prototype generator (technically not an RTG because it doesn't use thermocouples).

Advanced Stirling Radioisotope Generator (ASRG) : NASA RPS: Radioisotope  Power Systems

Edited by TaintedLion

4 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

I think the early one is based off the SNAP-27 used on the Apollo ALSEPs.

The general-purpose one looks like the GPHS-RTG, like you said.

The heavy model looks like an MMRTG to me

The advanced model is the ASRG prototype generator (technically not an RTG because it doesn't use thermocouples).

Yes all correct :).

53 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Holy cow... I'm so impressed by your modeling and development speed. How do you manage to create all this great stuff all in your freetime after work ?! 

This one's easy, I modeled all the RTGs like 1 year ago :Pa

16 hours ago, Nertea said:

I haven't modeled them as such but I guess I could think about it.

I also had in the past modeled some RTGs that I will be working on

unknown.png

More or less balance as follows:

PB-NUK Early General Purpose Heavy Advanced
.8 Ec/s .5 Ec/s 1 to 1.5 Ec/s 2 Ec/s 3 Ec/s
Poor mass ratio Poor mass ratio Poor mass ratio Poor mass ratio Adequate mass ratio

yay!

2 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

Wow. This looks like a make-a-mod speedrun. It looks like almost everything is ready. Or you have some additional parts to go?

I would like to ship revised .625, 1.25 reactors and a new 1.875m model as part of this update. 

Edited by Nertea

4 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I would like to ship revised .625, 1.25 reactors and a new 1.875m model as part of this update. 

What about reworking the big guys?  There are 4 big guys left if I remember correctly.  (To be honest they look really bad near these new toys)

Edited by ra4nd0m

3 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

What about reworking the big guys?  There are 4 big guys left if I remember correctly.  (To be honest they look really bad near these new toys)

Hey, they don't look that bad...

I considered it but it's quite a lot of work. It might happen eventually but it's not a gameplay improvement, just artistic.

50 minutes ago, Nertea said:

just artistic.

And you know this DOES MATTER! 

8 minutes ago, Hohmannson said:

warning stripes

Yeah they are really out of place. Models look fine actually but textures really stands out especially those warning stripes and that metal texture it looks out of place and kinda weird. It would work just fine with new texture actually.

Edited by ra4nd0m

13 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

How stackable are these new RTGs going to be, like how much do parts stick out when stacked on top of each other.

Umm well, I haven't put them ingame yet, but not really any different than you see there?

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

Are parts from NFE's current version going to be deprecated? And if so: soft or hard? And which ones?

Always softly for at least 6 months.

All RTGs, reactors and the nuclear recycler. Recall that this update will also change the baseline to run on SystemHeat, so instead of unilaterally changing the old parts, new parts with new identifiers will be supplied so that old ships will continue to function without any issues. 

6 hours ago, Rakete said:

The nuclear recycler too? Will there be a replacement for the old one? Will it behave differently or just get a visual revamp? 

I think he’s just touching up a few things and adding a few parts. The other larger parts are relatively good looking and don’t need much of an art pass.

10 hours ago, Rakete said:

The nuclear recycler too? Will there be a replacement for the old one? Will it behave differently or just get a visual revamp? 

I am not totally certain of this yet, but as it is a converter it counts as a SH part and if I'm using that as a backend to the reactors, I should use it there too? Not completely decided. 

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

I am not totally certain of this yet, but as it is a converter it counts as a SH part and if I'm using that as a backend to the reactors, I should use it there too? Not completely decided. 

I like the converter in combination with SH, as I already use it. It fits well together. 

I also like the ability to re-enrich the reactor fuels and to be able to strech out a deep space mission ... but is it logical, that the xenon extraction wastes so much depleted fuel, which is eaten up and not availavle for enrichment anymore after xenon extraction? Aren't these completely separate processes and tasks?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.