[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

16 hours ago, Neebel said:

Thanks! Not in my opinion, but that's a matter of view.

So you may ask @Nertea to re-consider his descision. He might provide still the old mechanics without SystemHeat. But I doubt it, cause this would mean maintaining additional code for him.

I was sceptical about SH at first, too. But now I love it. That's why I spent so much time in getting to know it (and to report bugs...:P )

Edited by Rakete

12 hours ago, Neebel said:

Thanks! Not in my opinion, but that's a matter of view.

As opposed to the default janky heat management code? As much as I love this game, that's one of the sore spots. I haven't played with System Heat enough to say how much I like it, but the concept is solid.

8 hours ago, Rakete said:

So you may ask @Nertea to re-consider his descision. He might provide still the old mechanics without SystemHeat. But I doubt it, cause this would mean maintaining additional code for him.

I was sceptical about SH at first, too. But now I love it. That's way I spent so much time in getting to know it (and to report bugs...:P )

And many a bug you have reported and improved the mod overall!

On 9/4/2021 at 3:47 AM, Neebel said:

So we'll need System Heat to run NFE in the future?

Yes. If you don't like this, NFE 1.x will still exist obviously, this will bump the major version 2.0, but this is typically how I get people to move over to new systems, I make new content dependent on accepting  them :). 

Anyways, I did a bit of rescaling to get things in the correct ratio so these are all done. This vaguely shows you one of the reasons you might want a reactor vs an RTG, the raw power density is just a lot higher! 

unknown.png

15 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

Amazing as always. But right now I don't understand why to use a rtg instead of reactors from gameplay perspective. One thing in which an rtg is better is not requiring any external cooling. But that's all?

RTGs are basically an infinite power source (if you are not using DecayingRTGs or Kerbalism).
This is more or less balanced by much higher RTGs cost.

I love the upcoming small reactors. They will nicely fit to my deep space vessels as basic energy supply in order to boot up a bigger fusion reactor on the vessel and stuff like this, which may be powered down until It is needed. Right now, i use the kerbopower thing for this, but this little guys enable even more downsizing for the basic energy supply, if no electrical engine burn is imminent.

@Nertea I‘d love to see them being surface attachable.

Edited by Rakete

18 hours ago, Rakete said:

I was skeptical about SH at first, too. But now I love it. That's why I spent so much time in getting to know it (and to report bugs…:P )

You know what, once this NFE update is released, I'll just give System Heat another try (already had it once, but it's been quite a while since then).

6 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

@Nertea Are these reactors going to have slow response like the ones we currently have?

Yeah they will be identical to how they behave in the current SH patched versions

7 hours ago, Rakete said:

I love the upcoming small reactors. They will nicely fit to my deep space vessels as basic energy supply in order to boot up a bigger fusion reactor on the vessel and stuff like this, which may be powered down until It is needed. Right now, i use the kerbopower thing for this, but this little guys enable even more downsizing for the basic energy supply, if no electrical engine burn is imminent.

@Nertea I‘d love to see them being surface attachable.

Usual concept is for you to be able to attach things to the structure but not the primary shadow shield or reactor. 

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

unknown.png

I modeled all the stuff under that shroud for some stupid, stupid reason.

Than you may offer a shroud-less version, so we can see the nice interior? Btw: the shroud looks a bit like a radiator - is this big boy self-cooled?

12 hours ago, Nertea said:

unknown.png

I modeled all the stuff under that shroud for some stupid, stupid reason.

Wow Is this big thing supposed to be new 1.875m thingy? This shroud somehow gives me wierd disturbing feeling like it hides something terrible inside.

BTW are loc files already on git? 

Edited by ra4nd0m

16 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Maybe so that we can fully enjoy it, make those radiator panels fold up with an animation?

The interesting stuff is under the shroud (metal cone), not the rad panels.

6 hours ago, Rakete said:

Than you may offer a shroud-less version, so we can see the nice interior? Btw: the shroud looks a bit like a radiator - is this big boy self-cooled?

Yes, that is planned. It is not self-cooled, I added the integrated radiators to look cool (similar to the SNAP-10 integrated core radiator)

5 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

Wow Is this big thing supposed to be new 1.875m thingy? This shroud somehow gives me wierd disturbing feeling like it hides something terrible inside.

BTW are loc files already on git? 

This is the new 1.25m model. I haven't done much if any ingame/config stuff yet. 

3 hours ago, Rakete said:

It won‘t be possible to get one of those supercritical and make them go boom (with an inferno-like big glow (like the one if you overclock a fireworks launcher with a KAL-Controller)? 

Nah, not really. Old ones had some overheat glow but that was never used, not sure I want to spend the effort. 

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

Nah, not really. Old ones had some overheat glow but that was never used, not sure I want to spend the effort

So no Oriondrive-style missuse by dropping uncooled small reactors. Alright. It was just a funny idea in my head... :D missusing parts is kinda fun.:cool:

Would have been a nice self-destruct mechanism for orbital installations. :D

Autodestruct Sequence one: code 11A

Autodestruct Sequence two: code 11A2B

Autodestruct Sequence three: code 1B2B3... 

Final Code 000 destruct 0... 

(naaa? Which movie is it from?:o:cool:)

Edited by Rakete

20 hours ago, Rakete said:

So no Oriondrive-style missuse by dropping uncooled small reactors. Alright. It was just a funny idea in my head... :D missusing parts is kinda fun.:cool:

Would have been a nice self-destruct mechanism for orbital installations. :D

Autodestruct Sequence one: code 11A

Autodestruct Sequence two: code 11A2B

Autodestruct Sequence three: code 1B2B3... 

Final Code 000 destruct 0... 

(naaa? Which movie is it from?:o:cool:)

Star Trek :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.