[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

On 10/28/2021 at 5:01 PM, CessnaSkyhawk said:

Last I checked they are in the dev branch on github.  Not sure if they'll ever be officially released, cause I believe Nertea is about to retire from modding, but when I tested them out they seemed to work just fine. 

If I grab the current state of the repo and put it in my game, do you happen to know if it'll work largely as intended?

4 hours ago, Tangle said:

If I grab the current state of the repo and put it in my game, do you happen to know if it'll work largely as intended?

From what I've played around with it, seems like it does, but your mileage may vary. I'm not Nertea so I can't give a 100% guarantee that it's all working right.

I am modding about 1 evening a week now (which is tonight). 

So far I have not got many/any comments about the development version of NFE. I was guessing from that one of two things: (1) there's not much interest and/or (2) it's perfect. So make of that what you will. 

For that thing I still need at minimum to unwrap/texture the 1.875m reactor. 

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

So far I have not got many/any comments about the development version of NFE. I was guessing from that one of two things: (1) there's not much interest and/or (2) it's perfect. So make of that what you will. 

I've only checked it out cursorily, but the only bug I've seen is the thing with the indicators on the nuclear fuel tanks being square (and I'm not sure if that's intended or not).

13 hours ago, Nertea said:

I only just found out there was an NFE 2.0 in development - so I had a scroll back. I think the reason for lack of comments is 3) Nertea is working on something, it'll be good then.

So yeah, it looks fantastic. I appreciate the white box and early dev shots too - helps understand how you develop the art too. Unusual to find somebody who is a great modeller/artist and great programmer. I'm more of the latter.

I just discovered this thread, and I have to say, I love the way NFE 2 is looking. I just discovered System Heat and I really like it, and I find myself wishing that the whole game and every mod would move over to that system, it makes so much more sense than the esoteric stock system.

That said, I also just learned that you're directly working on KSP 2, and I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that if all your effort goes towards that, I'm more than happy to stick with what we have right now in KSP 1 if it means better and more stuff for KSP 2 when it launches.

@Nertea 

Your wonderful mods come with written plugins, right? Do they use use other sources (or libraries) from github?

If so, this might be of interest: Some popular libraries were hacked...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/popular-coa-npm-library-hijacked-to-steal-user-passwords/

If not just forget about this sidenote.

There was kinda big alert in my RL job about it.

Edited by Rakete

On 11/5/2021 at 9:14 PM, Nertea said:

So far I have not got many/any comments about the development version of NFE.

New Garnet MX-1 has a very high power to weight ratio compared to 2.5m and 3.75m reactors, dry mass even lighter than MX-0.

Models look great.

9 hours ago, danfarnsy said:

New Garnet MX-1 has a very high power to weight ratio compared to 2.5m and 3.75m reactors, dry mass even lighter than MX-0.

Models look great.

Thanks I'll check that

On 11/9/2021 at 1:37 AM, Rakete said:

@Nertea 

Your wonderful mods come with written plugins, right? Do they use use other sources (or libraries) from github?

If so, this might be of interest: Some popular libraries were hacked...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/popular-coa-npm-library-hijacked-to-steal-user-passwords/

If not just forget about this sidenote.

There was kinda big alert in my RL job about it.

Thanks for the note, not really an issue with either the way I've set up the repos or the repos themselves. 

15 minutes ago, CessnaSkyhawk said:

Completely unrelated to the thread, but what visuals pack are you using! Those Sarnus visuals look awesome!

Stock Visual Enhancements, Scatterer, and TUFX with this profile. I was going for less cinematic and more of the crisp high-brightness photos you see from NASA EVAs.

Spoiler
TUFX_PROFILE
{
	name = Farnsy-Neutral
	hdr = False
	antialiasing = None
	EFFECT
	{
		name = Bloom
		Intensity = 2.4
		Threshold = 1.3
		SoftKnee = 0.73
	}
	EFFECT
	{
		name = ColorGrading
		GradingMode = HighDefinitionRange
		Tonemapper = Neutral
		Temperature = 6
		Saturation = 10
		PostExposure = 0.7
		Contrast = 6
		Gain = 1,1,1,0.3
	}
}

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Would really like to see nfe 2.0 since it would be very sad, to mothball all those great things, Nertea made for it.

Is there a beta of NFE 2.0 with backwards compatibility downloadable? Is it working? Somehow i'd like to have those fancy fancy reactors.

Edited by Rakete

20 hours ago, Rakete said:

Would really like to see nfe 2.0 since it would be very sad, to mothball all those great things, Nertea made for it.

Is there a beta of NFE 2.0 with backwards compatibility downloadable? Is it working? Somehow i'd like to have those fancy fancy reactors.

The dev branch of the mod is available and has at least some backwards compatibility. I haven't seen any bugs with it, but note that there are no revamped models for larger reactors so if you value aesthetics over power generation you might want to stick with 200 ec/s reactors.

4 hours ago, Tangle said:

The dev branch of the mod is available and has at least some backwards compatibility. I haven't seen any bugs with it, but note that there are no revamped models for larger reactors so if you value aesthetics over power generation you might want to stick with 200 ec/s reactors.

Yes, I value the big NFE 1.x reactors with thousands of EC/s. There is no easy way of merging NFE 1.x and NFE 2.x stuff myself?

Somehow i can't find the dev branch. Is it not public?

Edited by Rakete

18 hours ago, Rakete said:

Yes, I value the big NFE 1.x reactors with thousands of EC/s. There is no easy way of merging NFE 1.x and NFE 2.x stuff myself?

Somehow i can't find the dev branch. Is it not public?

It's completely possible to merge them- in fact, the current dev branch features what I'm pretty sure are fully system heat-outfitted reactors in those sizes, they're just not graphically updated. In the github, click on the branch button and then click dev, then simply download the code and put it in as a normal mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.