[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

On 4/12/2022 at 6:26 PM, Tangle said:

It's completely possible to merge them- in fact, the current dev branch features what I'm pretty sure are fully system heat-outfitted reactors in those sizes, they're just not graphically updated. In the github, click on the branch button and then click dev, then simply download the code and put it in as a normal mod.

@Nertea Are the devbranch NFE2.0 things code-wise fully compatible to the NFE 1.0 stuff? Can you provide a package as such a merge? I am not sure how to do it. It would be a shame to throw away those nice nfe 2.0 things, in which you put so much effort in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
19 hours ago, sirOrange17 said:

Are you still planning to work on the roadmap with you now being a developer for ksp2?

He doesn't seem to be doing anything other than occasionally fixing bugs, but who knows maybe that'll change

1 hour ago, Tangle said:

He doesn't seem to be doing anything other than occasionally fixing bugs, but who knows maybe that'll change

I hope it changes in the future as NFE does need an update as I feel it's models are lacking behind. On the other hand I think that more work on ksp 2 could really help in the quality and time of the release.  

On 7/3/2022 at 9:20 PM, Nertea said:

Evaluating the dev version is fairly useful to me.

Ok, I'll bite (I'm gonna regret this :P:confused:).  From where does one download the dev version?

Are there any caveats or conditions you'd like to place on any evaluation?

The most talented modder of the KSP-cosmos is back in town. Happy to see, that you are still planing to release those little reactors, in which you already put so much effort (and great design!) in. 

Will the upcoming NFE release be backwards compatible to the older NFE-version's parts by keeping deprecated parts still in the mod for compatibility? Will reactors be replaced? 

@Nertea

I mean to be really clear I'm not coming back. I'm just trying to clean up this half finished project.

The exact shape of the release is yet to be determined. I haven't decided whether it is best to actually release this as a 'new' mod and keep the legacy one around separately, or deprecate and retire the old parts. Regardless, there will be some pathway to updating with an in-flight save.

unknown.png

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

I haven't decided whether it is best to actually release this as a 'new' mod and keep the legacy one around separately

I think, being a "new" mod, which is able to live parallel to/next to the legacy NFE installation, sounds like the smoothest way. So everyone can still use the old reactors, if they want to and can also use the new ones from this mod upgrade. Maybe deliver it as an optional addendum to NFE ? I would love maximum variety among the reactor options. The more options to choose from the better, even if they have similar values. That's why I think, deprecating old ones is not neccessary. 

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

I mean to be really clear I'm not coming back. I'm just trying to clean up this half finished project

Already understood. But it would be really sad, if the new models you created would end up in a box, forgotten and dusted in the corner of the storage. They are just too beautiful to remain unused.

I am very happy, that you consider completing this last mod upgrade for Ksp1. 

Edited by Rakete

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These reactors are definitely reminiscent of the NASA nuclear electric propulsion Mars Transfer Vehicle concept floated around recent years. Cannot wait to create a replica with this!

Edited by Antiperson

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to cook my modding computer but it's back now. 

Some pictures of the process for the 2.5m reactor.

Looking at the old one, going to try to preserve some of the silhouette because it is dear to me

Gotta keep the look unique compared to the 1.875m one. Components blocked out. 

Getting to a coherent external detail level.

Rolling in the machinery and pipes, nice lineage with the 1.875m reactors, but showing off some size optimizations and more turbines. 

unknown.png?width=963&height=1156

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.