Jump to content

[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow


Nertea
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

You can post images here, I just don't want them filtering out onto reddit/etc so that people come looking for an unfinished mod, download it and complain. That's the motivation here. 

Don't think that'll be happening. Honestly the 'empty' dome is a bonus that I made only because it shares > 90% of its texture space with the kitted out domes.

Couple dome images for those who don't want to download the alpha:

unknown.png

unknown.png

 

Domes? This is giving me some ideas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

Links please?  

I was thinking of exercises or even trees.  Ideally i would have habitat parts,  but it is probably a little small for that.  Simply being able to walk around without helmet off would be a big bonus!  But that would require some additional coding.

Haha, give me a bit to find the screenshots. I’ve been out all day. 
 

Classic campfire mode:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/806651722609066014/855908427704434688/unknown.png

 

Interrogation:

unknown.png“WE NEED YOU TO TELL US WHERE THE SNACKS ARE BILL”
 

 

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Same size as it appears on the lab, essentially if you were to just take the rack and remove it from the lab (yes I know this is a gross oversimplification of what the process  entails but I mean for visualization purposes only).

Thinking more, if I did it I would normalize it to the two stock panel sizes. Have to do a bit of model surgery, might as well make it so that it matches (1m square and 2m square). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

Thinking more, if I did it I would normalize it to the two stock panel sizes. Have to do a bit of model surgery, might as well make it so that it matches (1m square and 2m square). 

Well I won’t take that as a yes since I know you’re already hard at work on other mayhem, but thank you very much for entertaining the thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Nertea, small question: how is the 5m centrifuge going to be constructed? It presumably would be impossible to fit inside an extended 7.5m fairing, as even the largest 3.75m one barely fits. The original Kronus-1 concept was presumably intended to be assembled in space, so I have an idea for construction of it:

Centrifuge parts are launched seperately: a ring hub which is attached to the vessel like any other module, and 3-6 ring segments which are attached in a abstracted way:

Once the ring hub is part of the vessel, clicking a button in the PAW of the the ring hub will add any nearby ring segments to it. The ring segment(s) would now be part of the centrifuge, but all would be treated as a single part.

Effectively, the centrifuge model would have a few "construction stages" as opposed to a deploy animation, each ring segment added to it will advance the construction stage by one.

Alternatively, instead of warping ring segments to it, which would presumably be difficult to code, you could have a resource called "CentrifugeParts" or something. Advancing the centrifuge to the next stage of construction would require consuming a set number of CentrifugeParts from a tank that would be docked to the vessel.

Edited by coyotesfrontier
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I think having the ring composed of several parts docked together would lead to much lag. 

Not docked together, they'd all be a single part. (each construction stage would be a different model)

I don't thing the construction stage models would be particularly hard to make, as they could easily be made by splitting up the finished centrifuge model

Edited by coyotesfrontier
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, coyotesfrontier said:

Not docked together, they'd all be a single part. (each construction stage would be a different model)

I don't thing the construction stage models would be particularly hard to make, as they could easily be made by splitting up the finished centrifuge model

Maybe it could work like the MKS orbital shipyards but instead of material kits you would deliver a certain amount of ore. 
And if you have EPL, rocket parts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A new major tweak has been pushed

  • IVAs are now split and need to be installed as an Extras package
  • Added two kitted out domes (still working on the hologram stuff for the observation dome)
  • Some improvements to colliders for the empty dome to give more space
  • Couple bugs fixed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

A new major tweak has been pushed

  • IVAs are now split and need to be installed as an Extras package
  • Added two kitted out domes (still working on the hologram stuff for the observation dome)
  • Some improvements to colliders for the empty dome to give more space
  • Couple bugs fixed

Will the 5 meters parts have metal/insulated options or would that take up too much space? Loving the cultivation dome

Edited by Beccab
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Beccab said:

Will the 5 meters parts have metal/insulated options or would that take up too much space? Loving the cultivation dome

Just white. Every size you go up increases texture needs significantly.

14 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

@Nertea, small question: how is the 5m centrifuge going to be constructed? It presumably would be impossible to fit inside an extended 7.5m fairing, as even the largest 3.75m one barely fits. The original Kronus-1 concept was presumably intended to be assembled in space, so I have an idea for construction of it:

Centrifuge parts are launched seperately: a ring hub which is attached to the vessel like any other module, and 3-6 ring segments which are attached in a abstracted way:

Once the ring hub is part of the vessel, clicking a button in the PAW of the the ring hub will add any nearby ring segments to it. The ring segment(s) would now be part of the centrifuge, but all would be treated as a single part.

Effectively, the centrifuge model would have a few "construction stages" as opposed to a deploy animation, each ring segment added to it will advance the construction stage by one.

Alternatively, instead of warping ring segments to it, which would presumably be difficult to code, you could have a resource called "CentrifugeParts" or something. Advancing the centrifuge to the next stage of construction would require consuming a set number of CentrifugeParts from a tank that would be docked to the vessel.

It's probably just going to be deployable. Should generally fit in the footprint I have scoped out for it. Of course, we'll see how that survives contact with the enemy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Well, I'm about to go into an angry 1.12-update shaped hole for a month so here's a preview of a remaining part:

blocky_block.png

 

Georgeous! For anyone wondering I think it's based off the Kronos-1 spacecraft concept: 

https://spacethatneverwas.tumblr.com/post/130745932490/kronos-1-deep-space-exploration-vehicle-this-is

Edited by Apelsin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice to see SSPXr gets an expansion.... Hyped for it... Can we fast forward to autumn (?) please, when Nerteas new toys for us are released, please?:P

 

One question from my side: Are for the big new parts docking devices planned to connect wobble-free the big parts in space (bigger than the clampotron sr.) ? Doesn't need to be beautiful, just needs to be strong and big. Just an idea for the greatest KSP-Modder ever.

Edited by Rakete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

Well, I'm about to go into an angry 1.12-update shaped hole for a month so here's a preview of a remaining part:

blocky_block.png

 

That is an AMAZING hab - can't wait to use it. What's the capacity? 36 kerbals?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Nertea, would this new tease, or any of the new centrifugal habs be well suited to making closely stacked, counter-rotating designs? In the live release, anything 3.75m or bigger mounting size is so tall, that they don't stack nicely.

I guess this is sort of a request for a flatter centrifuge design that stacks nicely.

wanderers_leaving_home_01.jpg

Edited by Gryphorim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...