[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

Suddenly, AN-255 outta nowhere, eats everyone with its gigantic cargo door.

Seriously we need those big engines. Wait, are the large 1.25 meter old Mk4 intakes and the engine hubs still going to be in the new MK4

Oh yeah, no reason to get rid of them at all :).

Progress good this evening, textured the engine nacelle and the large fan intake. Put them on one of those stock planes to test, worked well!

bigjets.jpg

Working on the precooler and shock cone now.

How does that not get asymmetric thrust torque :o

I have never, not once, succeeded building a place that carried engines underwing.

*is bad at planes*

Never heard of RCS build aid? Just rotate and translate the engine a little and you can get rid on 99% of the torque with engine on of CoM alignment.

And note that many real airliners carry their engines even lower. I believe there are a few reasons it works:

1) Pitch stability creates a natural nose-down torque, while the engines create a nose-up torque, and these two partially cancel each other out

2) The plane can take off without nosing up much if at all (combination of angled wings, camber, flaps, and slats), meaning that the landing gear can be placed relatively far behind the CoM.

On that note, an interesting design aspect of the F-16 was the CoM is slightly behind the CoL. This allows for the tailplanes to produce a small contribution to the total lift since they are holding the tail up slightly, instead of pushing it down to keep the nose up. This also allows the F-16 to "fall" into a turn more easily than other fighters. Unfortunately, as KSP players would have guessed, this creates a natural instability which is one of the reasons why the F-16 is a fly-by-wire aircraft with a flight computer (or more than one) in the loop.

Lack of access to KSP computer means lots of texturing! 2.5m engine components are all done now...

25mengines.png

Well, I have ambitions of doing a couple of LF 2.5m fuselages, but I'm putting my foot down, these are too much fun and I'm avoiding that pesky rear cargo bay :P.

Thanks guys :). I'm really pleased with how they turned out, and I'm glad you like them.

Here's another shot of the internals of both engines - I think it will make for some great emissives. Also rendered the Broadsword with the ram bypass doors open.

25mengineinternals.png

And 2.5m parts alone... uh, maybe.

-edit: one more bonus! Improved view from pilot's seat of the cockpit.

mk4view.jpg

Edited by Nertea

Do you really want another stand-alone release, Nertea? You have a huge number of threads and packs as is. I recommend keeping it together, especially when it's so easy for a user to just grab the "engines" subfolder from the parts directory if that's all they're interested in. You know the downsides to maintaining multiple uploads... :sealed:

Do you really want another stand-alone release, Nertea? You have a huge number of threads and packs as is. I recommend keeping it together, especially when it's so easy for a user to just grab the "engines" subfolder from the parts directory if that's all they're interested in. You know the downsides to maintaining multiple uploads... :sealed:

Well depending on licensing someone who is so incliniced should take it upon themselves and not always come asking where they could do for themselves and others :rolleyes:

and i I know you weren't asking for that streetwind

All the big engine parts look amazing, they're going to open up a lot of new possibilities. Especially love how the curve of the nacelle pod continues into the (precooler?) behind it in that assembly on the right.

A few versions ago, I would have said 2.5m is way too big for aero parts, but in this age of 3.75 and even 5 meters, they seem perfectly natural; it almost feels like they are missing. I guess not for long.

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

Lack of access to KSP computer means lots of texturing! 2.5m engine components are all done now...

http://areadenialgames.com/ksp/25mengines.png

Well, I have ambitions of doing a couple of LF 2.5m fuselages, but I'm putting my foot down, these are too much fun and I'm avoiding that pesky rear cargo bay :P.

Incredible work!

PS: Me on the day of release:

its-working--135206.gif

So I was away from my beloved electronics (save my smart phone, which doesn't play well with pictures on this forum) for three days while i was in Myrtle Beach, SC for my birthday. I came back with a Logitech Proteus Core mouse and then see this.

Me right now:

nuclear-mind-blown.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.