What's YOUR crazy KSP invention!?

LtHeckard

Well I've got two in this one: The craziest landing method ever for an SSTO (which I've used on two planes, but it's much crazier on this one, which is much larger and heavier than the other), and the craziest rover storage/deployment mechanism ever:

Mine was a reverse Space shuttle that i built for the heck of it. What i mean by reverse space shuttle is that it takes off like a plane and lands like a rocket, which is the opposite of what the space shuttle did. Wings and a bunch of jet engines would bring it up to about 25km, flying around 1500m/s. then the wings would detach and the SRBs that make up most of the rocket would fire sequentially. I got an orbital flight with this design and was attempting to build a Lunar lander version before i lost my save file.

Not sure if it was the most efficient way of doing things though.

That rotating mid section on Tiron's SSTO is very cool. I like that! Do you use Qstruts during flight to keep it from flexing?

This thread has reminded me that I need to return to more insane things. I've become too sensible in the last few versions, launching things that look like rockets!

So, here's a house being air lifted into place (it's quite a big house, 3 floors, 3 bedrooms and an upstairs terrace with bar)

KYL0Duol.jpg

a7d4FHjm.jpgsQcA9Z5m.jpg

more pics with inside view and craft download here

Some of you might have seen the vids of FRANK (MKI & MKII)

FQBk5Q8l.jpg

||

But I think one of my earlier creations is still my most crazy; a rocket that launched upside down, then back-fliped and re-launched, all just to make boarding 15 kerbals easier (this was before even the crew manifest mod) so I could fly them out to the night club I'd landed on Mun (and I think the club also gets a couple of crazy points!)

Jump to 0:50 to see the crazy launch or just enjoy da tunes!

I know for a fact I haven't done anything half as mad as many people here. . . but

I like the below. . . it is capable of getting almost anywhere in system (and back from most places. . . as long as it doesn't land!) and is TINY, an MkI cockpit with 3 ion engines, as much Xenon as I can cram on and 4 XL solar panels . . . its not fast however.

I'm fond of the idea of a Kerbal being confined to a single chair (with no food obviously) for years at a time on interplanetary transits.

B47425A4907E962FC45E70533EFFA4C120EA5079

Jet 1st stage rockets?

Actually work bloody well. . . . not quite as weight efficient as a proper spaceplane but a damn sight easier to fly!

5B7ACEED6CF7EC5DAC1A27287CD503E98DFEBCD2

Or both at once with a really long pole.

I've tried that. You can't have a ship more than 2.5km long.

I can never tell if something seems sarcastic, or a challenge with you whackjob

That's a good thing. Keep everyone on their toes. Most of all myself...

You all have me beat on crazy, but I have put together a reasonably functional exo-atmospheric kinetic kill vehicle with indefinite on-orbit loiter time. forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51115-Ship-to-ship-kinetic-energy-transfer-test-report

'Course despite the word "armed" in the project name, Alan Aerospace Recycling and Packaging glosses over the whole weaponry thing with terms like Smart Kinetic Energy Transfer Module. It's not a *missile* it's a "Carrier Vehicle". ;-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.