Need help deciding to kill a kerbal or not

I second getting out and pushing. It's tricksy, but if you only need a little more dV, it's fine.

A good altitude is ~50km, and not going stupidly fast. I've managed to get a projected orbit with a 40km Kerbin periapsis, and being slingshotted out of Kerbin SoI. From a Mun re-entry orbit.

I haven't actually fired up the game since my last post because I'm a little scared that I'm going to screw him up and get him stranded in nothing but a space suit and no rcs fuel in his pack.

the craft I have him flying in was before the days of docking, so it doesn't have a docking port anywhere on it. if I tried for a rendezvous, i'd have to get another ship close, then have him fly over to it.

someone wanted to know where he was in the system. I'll go and get a screen shot.

screenshot24_zpsa8b85635.png

Edited by mattig89ch

I haven't actually fired up the game since my last post because I'm a little scared that I'm going to screw him up and get him stranded in nothing but a space suit and no rcs fuel in his pack.

the craft I have him flying in was before the days of docking, so it doesn't have a docking port anywhere on it. if I tried for a rendezvous, i'd have to get another ship close, then have him fly over to it.

someone wanted to know where he was in the system. I'll go and get a screen shot.

You can always copy out your save file to another location, if something goes wrong, just quit the game, and copy back the save file.

Could you please provide the screenshot of your resources top open? And a close up of the poor Jeb and his craft will be good.

Lastly, your trajectory within the Eve SOI. (Near Eve view.)

sure...um...have I been saying eve this whole time? I'm trying to get him home from duna, not eve.

2 in 1.

screenshot27_zpsa6d908c2.png

and

screenshot29_zpsa8124112.png

edit: I think I managed to put together a rescue craft. its a hitchhiker can. on top of a probe, on top of a fuel tank, with a nuclear engine to push it. And a big rcs tank, with 4 thrusters at the center of mass.

Edited by mattig89ch

OK then, so quick update. I managed to get my first docking today! woo!

Docked my refueler/rescue craft to the big 3 stuck in duna orbit. Now need to wait for the planets to re-align to get them back home. But now they have fuel!

sadly, this means that I couldn't get to the guy in solar orbit in time. I did re-design the re-fueler/rescue craft to be able to hold up to 4 kerbals, allowing it to be able to (hopefully) save that guy in solar orbit.

Some sites have fileshare hosting for free. Mediafire is a good, free host where people can link to files you upload. I'm sure there's a better alternative however.

But i do think i want a shot at rescuing the lad, please do post the persistance file.

P.S.: When posting a link, type (url=inserturlhere.com)Text you want to have highlighted for the link(/url)

When you post, replace all the ( 's and ) 's with [ 's and ] 's, and it should create a direct link to the site.

For example, a link to the beginning of the thread.

Edited by Dynamo

hello all,

For the longest time I've had my first kerbal to ever land on duna orbiting duna, waiting for the planets to align and he could fire what little fuel he had to get back home. Finally the planets aligned for me, I set up a maneuver node, and threw everything that nuclear engine had to get back home. and the engine cut out with only 60 m/s left to get him home.

basically he's stranded in inter-planetary space, with 2 solar panels, a short-wave radio antena, and no one/nothing else. Being that he was the first kerbal to even touch the ground on duna, I'm a little heistant to kill him. But I also have the big 3 in orbit of duna, out of fuel, but with a re-fueler on the way to come and push them home (first serious try at docking).

Now, up until this point, every time I tried to get an intercept has met with disaster. Every docking attempt has met with explosions. Though those have been mainly from getting frustrated and impatient then anything else (so far).

Now I don't think theres a big likely hood that he would ever be rescued, though not impossible. so my question is, should I kill this important kerbal? The first one to ever touch duna, and plant the first flag. the one that generations of kerbals from here on will look towards as an example, and role model.

Or should I let him live? While he slowly dies from lack of breathable air or food. Only able to broadcast his signal a short distance, and only ever able to communicate back home if/when he manages to fly close to kerbin.

I know a cheesy way to solve this. Go to your games persistent save file, look for his name, and set his mode to 0. it will teleport him home. OR, barring an out right cheat like that, just send a rescue mission after him :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.