Am I the only one who's creeped out by the Mun?

Odo

I don't know about you guys, but I'm always freaked out when I send something down to 'land on' Jool. Come to think about it, that happens with Kerbol as well. Maybe I'm just afraid of giant planetary bodies?

I'm exact same way! Every time I get deep in the atmosphere Jool just seems to vanish. It's so freaky, and I end up boosting myself out hoping the Kraken doesn't kill everyone on board.

Also, getting close to the sun really freaks me out. I used cheats to get a really big spacecraft only a few thousand kilometers away form the surface. Periapsis was only 66 km. above the surface, and the sun growing closer and closer just made me revert flight all the way to liftoff.

I remember when I started playing the game I never wanted to leave Kerbin, because I was so scared of being in the big open space with nothing sorrounding me. Had the same issue with pools and swimming in the sea IRL. I think at some point I grew up from that or the game cured me.

It was back in the days when the skybox was very dark and Kerbin was the only body in the system.

This thread is a great read!! Even thou its an old thread it deserves a 2nd chance at life!

I don't find the equatorial regions of Mun scary, in fact they have become more like a main highway to me now. That said, standing next to the Arch in the night does make me feel a bit unnerved. But the poles, particularly the south poll, they are eerie, complete with sink holes of nightmarish doom. Not a place I'd wish to leave a Kerbal for too long, he'd probably come back possessed by a Mun demon.

Jool is sort of creepy to me. The way it seems to watch you, judging you, determining whether to drag you down into its crushing depths or not.

The Mun can also be creepy at night. My 6th Mun landing crashed, due to a new design, but the crew survived. It was night, and most of the ship was not destroyed, it just broke apart. These two kerbals, at night, walking through girders, landing legs, and little bits of ship, illuminated only by the crew's helmet lights, gave me the willies.

Jool scares me because of the one time I tried to land on it in .22, When I was floating down by a chute, The camera slowly moved up until I was looking directly down at the craft, then it eventually exploded. It scared the crap out of me. When I checked the map, I was -250m below the ground :o The atmosphere also scared me, I could see a green haze when I was "landing"

Edited by GamerMitch

I think the Mun is cool. It seems like the front yard, pretty much, with Kerbin so close by. I really like Buzz Aldrin's words for the earth's moon, "Magnificent Desolation." It's just the durn rough terrain that bothers me XD I've lost countless landers because of poor choice of landing spots.

One of the first posters was correct about Dres, though. I just landed my first rover there, and the different color, the dim sun, and no view of home was sort of bleak. I'm glad it was only an unmanned mission, because that would have been the loneliest Kerbal in the solar system. o.0

Edited by RSwordsman

For me, I have a few that sort of creep me out.

First is Gilly: I just get nervous when there because of how one oops can be unrecoverable. Sure some you can send a rescue party, but on gilly, you just de-orbit and risk even leaving Eve SOI. I hate being there (alas, that is where my current mission is going to)

Second is Eve: I thought it was a neat place until I did my Lars Kerman rescue video. Getting down there, doing the vid at night crashed on a shore, really made it creepy. Plus the hassle of the rescue. My roleplay then kicked into overdrive as well with somebody stranded on a planet for months and only a small spaceplane, originally designed for not Eve, then months of return, well, that is just sad :(

Lastly, Laythe. My first story video, (no longer on youtube because of a fanagle with copyright a year after posted) I finished a landing there. Yeah, it is grey, but has nice water and that clear blue sky. :D Suddenly you are roaming around, and see a Joolrise and feel very very far from home and begin to question as to whether the return craft is going to actually work or not.

I'll just leave this here, I made it a while back after realizing just how evil Tylo was

Hmm, yes, quite disturbing.

The Mun doesn't creep me out, although I wish it had a slightly higher albedo. Everything that's going to stay the night gets lots of illuminators though, but that's the case with any body in the game. Darkness is...dark.

Dres and Eeloo, however, are slightly weird to me. Small, cold rocks sitting in the void all alone... When Kerbals go there, I'll make sure they have enough company.

Lastly, Laythe. My first story video, (no longer on youtube because of a fanagle with copyright a year after posted) I finished a landing there. Yeah, it is grey, but has nice water and that clear blue sky. :D Suddenly you are roaming around, and see a Joolrise and feel very very far from home and begin to question as to whether the return craft is going to actually work or not.

I found Laythe quite pleasant once you get comfortable settling there. It also helps having a space station in orbit looking over you and a very generous living quarters on the water's surface.

screenshot87.png

screenshot145.png

screenshot111.png

For me it's the Jool which is "creepy". You are just walking around on Laythe like it was your home planet Kerbin, then you see the Joolrise, and suddenly remember that you are very far from your actual home planet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.