Am I the only one who's creeped out by the Mun?

Odo

I think that if/when we get weather, it will introduce a whole new level of creepy to some celestial bodies.

Imagine looking out of your spacecraft window on Eve at night, and seeing a gigantic swirling mass of purple gas approaching ominously over the horizon, with distant thunderclaps and lighting illuminating the storm periodically. Perhaps being hit by a storm on eve, with its metallic rain and corrosive fumes could be fatal for Kerbals left out in the open, or could even destroy crafts without sufficient protection. An expedition of Kerbals exploring the area around their base, who's rover gets compromised by rough terrain could be in real danger unless a rescue team gets to them in time...

Sorry, Im rambling on again :blush:. But in short, yeah, storms are terrifying.

Creepy is one thing, but... has anyone experienced even a hint of this while looking at more recent Mün terrain? If you're unaware of the meaning behind it, use google images but beware, if you have it, you're in for a nasty surprise. Don't say I haven't warned you.

Man I hate you. I've been vomiting for the last 10 minutes.

The only thing I ever found remotely creepy was something I found when I returned to the crash site of a previous Mun lander. The crash site was in a shallow dip in the terrain, and these round RCS tanks were rolling in total silence, ever so slowly along the surface.

I think I have a video of it somewhere - I should post it later.

I find Eeloo the creepiest- it's so far away and so close to cubic light-decades of nothing. Very intimidating.

Duna's also pretty creepy with the face and the SSTV and all that, but it's also the easiest planet to get to, so they kinda cancel out.

... these round RCS tanks were rolling in total silence, ever so slowly along the surface...

I need to see this.

I dont find any of the planets creepy... unless i have the clouds mod. I sent a rover to the south pole of Eve once, the sky was so dark and the feeling was so foreboding, everything seemed to just be waiting behind the next hill. It made it even worse that i was just one small rover in the midst of such a terrifying place.

2996C44A964CF961EA791216DC43AB4D392A8737

I dont find any of the planets creepy... unless i have the clouds mod. I sent a rover to the south pole of Eve once, the sky was so dark and the feeling was so foreboding, everything seemed to just be waiting behind the next hill. It made it even worse that i was just one small rover in the midst of such a terrifying place.

-eerie snip-

Now that's creepy.

The Mun feels cozy to me. I think it's because I can look up and see Kerbin like, right there. I did feel a touch nervous during a far-side Mun landing, though.

Jool... that's the one that creeps me out. Being on one of the Joolian moons and seeing that giant green sphere rising on the horizon is an awesome sight, but it's also a powerful remind of just how far away 'home' really is.

For whatever reason flying into very massive objects (gas giants and larger) in space simulators scares me. Black holes in Space Engine give me the creeps. I accidentally flew right up close to one while exploring the center of a globular cluster and proceeded to freak out.

Same with Jool. Aerobraking is a mildly scary experience, its so big I feel like I'm falling in. I'm actually afraid to open the map view in low Jool orbit in case the map camera is inside Jool.

I had a phobia for swimming in deep water as a kid, both from the depth and the drain. I feel like that has something to do with it. Jool is like a bottomless swimming pool with a core just waiting to suck me up like a pool drain.

The Mun is plenty creepy to me.

Dark, hostile terrain, very hard to navigate. Also big and high enough gravity to make landings somewhat challenging, yet the gravity is not enough to make rovers move easily.

The devs got the look right, to me it closely resembles the real moon. Which, incidentally, creeped out some of the Apollo astronauts.

• 2 months later...

It may be that space travel is so unnatural to humans that everyone is expected to have a phobia of some kind. I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe someone feels the same effect, but my phobia is definitely wierd and hard to explain.

When approaching an another planet for the first time, I get scared of seeing it. Just the idea of establishing first visual contact makes me freak out. Like the first time I went to Duna, I've seen the planet on a lot of pictures and other playthrough videos which was fine, but seeing it closing in from far away makes me very uncomfortable, and we're talking about a game here. If I was on a real mission to Mars, I'm certain that I would be too terrified to look out the window upon arrival.

I cant help it, but those lonely vast lanscapes and starfilled skies give me the shivers, but in a good way. I love those calm and totally relaxed moods, these scenes have to offer. Totally ignites the wish to leave here.

I cant help it, but those lonely vast lanscapes and starfilled skies give me the shivers, but in a good way. I love those calm and totally relaxed moods, these scenes have to offer. Totally ignites the wish to leave here.

I feel exactly the same. I did a mission to Vall, where I found myself staring at Jool on the horizon at least 20 minutes, just dreaming.

Fernweh. Again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.