Am I the only one who's creeped out by the Mun?

Odo

Mun doesn't feel creepy to me, just lifeless and boring. Even the craters that look impressive from orbit seem flat from the surface. Maybe it's the gray repeating rock texture.

Minmus on the other hand feels strangely warm and inviting (yes I realize the irony). So much so that shortly after landing my first manned exploration craft there, I felt compelled to send a much larger lander built on top of structural plates and kitbashed together out of a hitchhiker, Cupola, the B9 crew modules, and some satellite dishes to pick up Kerbin TV networks. It landed with the help of a detachable skycrane and is parked it at the top of a high cliff overlooking a scenic frozen lake with an island in the middle.

The name of it... "Bob's Summer Home" :)

Mun doesn't feel creepy to me, just lifeless and boring. Even the craters that look impressive from orbit seem flat from the surface. Maybe it's the gray repeating rock texture.

Minmus on the other hand feels strangely warm and inviting (yes I realize the irony). So much so that shortly after landing my first manned exploration craft there, I felt compelled to send a much larger lander built on top of structural plates and kitbashed together out of a hitchhiker, Cupola, the B9 crew modules, and some satellite dishes to pick up Kerbin TV networks. It landed with the help of a detachable skycrane and is parked it at the top of a high cliff overlooking a scenic frozen lake with an island in the middle.

The name of it... "Bob's Summer Home" :)

This^

Minmus is in my opinion, the most inviting celestial body in KSP. I'm not sure why.

I've always thought it was made of granular material similar to broken safety glass.

Shattered-glass.jpg

Just piles and piles of it.

ehhh...The color is a bit off. I'd believe that to be the material that the Salt flats/ice lakes are made of, just melted together.

I've always thought it was made of granular material similar to broken safety glass.

Shattered-glass.jpg

Just piles and piles of it.

Yes but have you tried TASTING the broken safety glass to make sure it's not minty ice cream??? how do you know if you havent tried?

I wonder what Minmus would taste like...

Apparently, our Moon's dust tastes of gunpowder, so I'd assume the Mun to be the same. I don't believe Minmus would be water-ice due to it's proximity to the sun. I think it's salt(y stuff). So I reckon if you licked the flats on Minmus, it would be like liking some clumped LoSalt table salt :)

...am I wierd?

I wonder what Minmus would taste like...

Apparently, our Moon's dust tastes of gunpowder, so I'd assume the Mun to be the same. I don't believe Minmus would be water-ice due to it's proximity to the sun. I think it's salt(y stuff). So I reckon if you licked the flats on Minmus, it would be like liking some clumped LoSalt table salt :)

...am I wierd?

no weirder than whoever discovered that the moon tastes of gunpowder...

The only water soluble constituent of gunpowder is potassium nitrate, so if you've ever tasted potassium chloride, you pretty much know what to expect. K+ ions are disgusting. They taste very bitter with a hint of salt.

I think the lunar regolith tastes and smells (two very connected senses) like burnt gunpowder, with a slight touch of sulfur dioxide. It's actually the destructive oxidizing power of it that destroys our tissue. You smell your destroyed tissue.

I'm sorry if i AM throwing this off-topic, but does anyone find any of our planets in the solar system creepy?

I'm pretty creeped out by Sedna, it's cold, desolate and stagnant...

And it's pretty unusual that i'm creeped out by Sedna, i'm a huge fan of TNO's, SDO's, etc...

How can you be creeped out by Sedna if we have no clue about how it looks like? If it wasn't big enough, it would still just have an ID number and would be a speck of light on a camera sensor with attached orbital parameters data...

Jupiter scares me. It's extremely large and so deadly on approach. The size is just threatening.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.