Am I the only one who's creeped out by the Mun?

Odo

I do have to admit that the Mun can feel unnerving sometimes. But to whoever said Minmus feels like the most inviting of the celestial bodies I totally agree. I feel tempted to set up my first extraplanetary base over there.

I used to have a phobia of the Mun (Or Moon, which I call it in official records).

That was because I lost a total of three manned expeditions, a rescue mission, and ten attempted probes there (OK, I delivered four of them in a single launch with a probe bus), which completely restricted my Munar activity to orbital spacestations and satellites while the government made plans to nuke the surface and whatever was down that that kept destroying my ships. Duna was my favorite planet back then since I was a parachute spammer.

And then I mastered the art of powered landings, and the Mun (Or Moon) welcomed me with open arms, allowing repeated manned expeditions, several probe landings, and even a surface base. So now I got the Mun and Duna.

Time to head to Laythe. See what she says.

Definitely Kerbin, not as a whole, but have you ever been to the slopes of K2 at night with the clouds mod and the visuals from Alternis?

Dark, steep cliffs wrapped in fog and utter darkness.

But on the other hand, landing on the top of one of these mountains in sunshine looks pretty awesome.

Has anyone said yes yet?

Last night I landed on Mun totally IVA (with rasterpropmonitors). I expected a bumpy landing and got one but when I went EVA I noticed I had landed on a 30 degree slope. If I fell over walking I would slide for about 1-2 minutes all the way to the bottom of the valley...

I think I need a better positioned camera.

Duna's a bit of a weird one, I always think of the Mun as hard to land on, no idea why.

Minmus is my favourite so far.

I agree but I find the reason I like Minmus is because of the flats. Whenever I try to land at the Mun it seems what appeared flat is actually a pretty giant slope. Only since the Mun overhaul recently though.

I hate Minmus. Nothing ever goes right with Minmus. I've lost three men, a rover, and several unmanned landers. I had to walk across 2.5km of Minmus when my Kerbin wouldn't stop sliding away from his lander. Now I admit that might have been my fault, but it all reflects badly on Minmus. It's just a cold, miserable lump of ice floating around Kerbin.

I think it's jealous.

I think the problem is, given that it's supposed to be analogous to our own moon, it has a disproportionally low albedo. The surface seems a lot darker than you'd expect to get from a lunar landing. In fact, it's borderline Death Star gray. I still occasionally do a doubletake when transferring away from Kerbin, and then it's, "Oh, right. That's the Mun."

Looking at it from the surface of Kerbin, it made me think their stone age must have been REALLY dark until they learned how to make fire. It actually makes sense that their eyes are so huge.

Edited by vger

Looking at it from the surface of Kerbin, it made me think their stone age must have been REALLY dark until they learned how to make fire. It actually makes sense that their eyes are so huge.

Dont you give them an excuse for not making Mun lighter again! :D:wink:

I think the problem is, given that it's supposed to be analogous to our own moon, it has a disproportionally low albedo. The surface seems a lot darker than you'd expect to get from a lunar landing. In fact, it's borderline Death Star gray. .

Earth's Moon has an Albedo of just a hair under 7%

If you go to a paint shop for that color, its in the aisle under the word "MIDNIGHT BLACK"

I've never really been freaked out by individual planets and moons, but being in interplanetary space with nothing around for millions of kilometers can be very nerve-wracking. Especially when it's your first trip beyond Kerbin's SOI: you know where you want to go, and you can see in the map view that you'll get there, but you can't fight off that feeling of helplessness. If something goes wrong out there, nobody's coming to save you.

No way. I love the Mun. I have a 12 Kerbal colony residing in the shadow of the Arch on the rim of the East Crater. I do have a massive battery stack to keep things lit up during the night, however. Though, I have heard rumblings of them wanting to renounce their Kerbal citizenship and refer to themselves as Munbals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.