The SpaceX Challenge-Reusing Falcon 9

I builded all Falcon rockets by SpaceX-also Falcon 9 v1.1. It launches with an Inclination of -40° to land the First stage at the Island airport after seperation. The Challenge is now, to bring the stage back to the KSC and reuse it.

1. Launch

2. Land the first stage at island airport

3. Bring the stage back to the KSC by plane/ship

4. Erect the stage at the launchpad

5. Get the Second Stage and the Dragon Spaceship ontop of the First Stage somehow.

6. Fill the stage with fuel

7. Launch again

Download the Spacecraft HERE

You can use these mods:

-MechJeb

-Kerbal Attechment System

Some Pictures:

The Launch:

1VcVbM6.png

The Landing of the first stage at the island airport:

O653u0k.png

OR: do it like this! very nice solution!

Good Luck!!

Edited by Nephf

• 2 weeks later...

How much delta-v does the first stage of your F9 pack?

Using a suboptimal ascent profile, you can put some 2000 m/s on it, begin the pitch maneuver later than usual, stage and land it back at KSC with minimum course corrections, and thus avoiding launching on such an inclined orbit.

This is because Kerbin rotates pretty fast below you (1° every minute.)

Do you have to land at the island airport? I'm working on one that lands back at KSC.

Edit: I just finished recording it. It was quite exciting and close because I only had enough fuel to make it back to the edge of the beach, with only enough fuel to run out about 15m above the ground, and the SM of the command pod had only enough fuel to bring it almost to a space station (and RCS the rest of the way). It was a good challenge even without trying to ship the first stage back from the island. That could be hard mode haha.

Edited by BahamutoD

what i would do is send a tanker to the island to fill it up and fly it back to ksc

is it connected to the second stage by a docking port?

I don't vet the whole island landing thing. How am I supposed to bring back a 20-ton rocket stage by plane? Even SpaceX plans to perform a course correction after stage sep and bring it down near the launch pad.

OP, may we see your attempt? :)

Do you have to land at the island airport? I'm working on one that lands back at KSC.

Edit: I just finished recording it. It was quite exciting and close because I only had enough fuel to make it back to the edge of the beach, with only enough fuel to run out about 15m above the ground, and the SM of the command pod had only enough fuel to bring it almost to a space station (and RCS the rest of the way). It was a good challenge even without trying to ship the first stage back from the island. That could be hard mode haha.

You actually CAN land it at KSC, I did land at Island airport and brought it back with not complete fair methods. Love that video!!!!

No it isn't connected by a dockinport, but you can edit the craft a bit if you need.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Can I submit my own craft? I have just finished my Falcon and 7 kerbal dragon spacecraft.

I have safely landed the First stage, the second stage and the Three kerbal command pod. The other four come down in the

Hitchhiker under chutes.

MJ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.