Order of missions

Hello moto

What was your order of missions when you first played?

Mine was

1. Reach orbit around Kerbin.

2. Land on the Mun. (First was a manned crash cause I'm a cruel bastard, 2nd was a time warp crash by accident, cause I'm a careless bastard and the third was a proper landing cause I was a careful bastard)

3. Probe around Minmus.

4. Space station around Kerbin.

5. Probe around the mun.

It was all trial and error.

Seeing as 0.11 only had the option to orbit, that was about where I started. When 0.12 came around, getting to the Mun at all was a huge task since there were no maneuver nodes. Circularizing around the Mun was a task unto itself as well once you mastered intercept, landing was a huge task (especially since there were no landing legs yet; we vets learned to soft-land on our engine cones!), and getting back to Kerbin required some real know-how.

Insert obligatory old-man "you kids have it so easy/why back in my day/twenty miles uphill both ways in the snow/and we liked it too" rant here.

I started with the v0.13.3 demo. I think I did suborbital, then LKO and then managed to get into orbit around the Mun. Pretty exciting. I bought the game at v0.18 and did the same as above. I think I then sent a probe win an ion engine to Eve and managed to get it into a very elliptical orbit. After that, I managed to land a probe on Eve...which ended up in the sea. I landed a probe on Duna, which ended up on a steep slope and tipped over. I then sent probe all the way to Laythe.. spent hours fiddling with the maneuver node while still near Kerbin to get a direct encounter with Laythe... got there and ended up in the ocean.

All this was before I learned about quicksave. lol.

I didn't try landing kerbals or probes on bodies without an atmosphere until a little later. Having played Orbiter, I knew I would be crap at trying to land somewhere without an atmosphere to kill my horizontal velocity.

Seeing as 0.11 only had the option to orbit, that was about where I started. When 0.12 came around, getting to the Mun at all was a huge task since there were no maneuver nodes. Circularizing around the Mun was a task unto itself as well once you mastered intercept, landing was a huge task (especially since there were no landing legs yet; we vets learned to soft-land on our engine cones!), and getting back to Kerbin required some real know-how.

Insert obligatory old-man "you kids have it so easy/why back in my day/twenty miles uphill both ways in the snow/and we liked it too" rant here.

Tell us moar, Grandpah!

Tell us moar, Grandpah!

Ah, you whippersnappers don't appreciate any of the hardships we had to go through. Back in my day, we didn't have a Mun! And when we did, it was almost flat as a pancake! So was Kerbin! And we still had to walk twenty miles uphill in the snow both ways to get to the space center! We were thrilled when we got landing legs and fuel lines, let me tell you. And when Minmus came along, it was like a whole new world! Mostly 'cause it was...

I remember when we got quicksaves. Before that, you had to do your mission all in one shot. If you screwed up, you were stuck! No maneuver nodes, no patched conics, just good old-fashioned guesswork, math, and frustration! Then we got planets, and even though we only had a few of them, we liked 'em. None of this Dres or Eeloo or Pol nonsense. There was Moho, Eve, Kerbin, Duna, and Jool for planets, and we liked 'em that way. We didn't need no moon out past Bop! Our ships got ripped apart by the Kraken when we tried to fly too far from the sun, and we thanked him for it.

mission order of Sidewinder tech

Phase 1

1) test srb's vs liquid engines while confirming decouplers and parachutes and try to at least get to space (v13.3)

2) Get into orbit (using a vertical launch and a desperate pouring of lateral fire to force out an ugly eliptical) (v13.3)

3) spend the day on forums and youtube learning about gravity burns (v13.3)

4)get to a descent orbit of my choice and circurlize.(v13.3)

4) launch probes (equatorial and polar) around kerbin(v13.3)

5) probe launches around mun and minmus (pol and equa)(v13.3)

6) launch station cores to Kerbin and munar Low Orbits.v.17

7) finally start landing on the mun and minusv.17

Phase 2

1) complete the stations at mun and Kerbin as fueling stationsv.18

2) add fueling station to Ike and a command station to dunav.18

3) probes to all the Joolian moonsv.19

4) first manned mission to Dunav.19

5) probes to the inner system worldsv.19

6) Duna Base and Kethane/extraplanatory factory(v.20)

Phase 3

1) first mutli planet mission (Kerbin and duna launched to Eeloo) (v.21)

2) Colinizing the Jool system (kethane and extraplanetary all round) (v.21)

Alacrity

1: Get to the Mun by any means.

2: Go to Minmus, with the proven Mun rocket.

3: Try and put more kerbals on the Mun.

4: Bother to learn how to launch into a proper orbit. As in, not just going up.

5: Rescue kerbals from the Mun....

Something like that.

Edited by Tw1

Ah, you whippersnappers don't appreciate any of the hardships we had to go through. Back in my day, we didn't have a Mun! And when we did, it was almost flat as a pancake! So was Kerbin! And we still had to walk twenty miles uphill in the snow both ways to get to the space center! We were thrilled when we got landing legs and fuel lines, let me tell you. And when Minmus came along, it was like a whole new world! Mostly 'cause it was...

I remember when we got quicksaves. Before that, you had to do your mission all in one shot. If you screwed up, you were stuck! No maneuver nodes, no patched conics, just good old-fashioned guesswork, math, and frustration! Then we got planets, and even though we only had a few of them, we liked 'em. None of this Dres or Eeloo or Pol nonsense. There was Moho, Eve, Kerbin, Duna, and Jool for planets, and we liked 'em that way. We didn't need no moon out past Bop! Our ships got ripped apart by the Kraken when we tried to fly too far from the sun, and we thanked him for it.

This is just awesome. I read that in Al Pacino's voice.

Get off my space station, you pesky kids!

Ok, Let me think back here.

Mission 1, Acheive orbit. This required many many failures.

2: Manned (Kerballed?) Munar mission: Crashed on Mun with 3 survivors

3: Munar rescue mission: Resulted in the death of crew to be rescued to do their craft falling thru the landscape when I got close to it. Returned from Mun without passengers.

4: Kerballed Minmus mission

5: Minmus rescue mission

6: Minmus rescue mission 2

7: Duna Base mission

8: Space Station Building

9: Duna Rescue (I'm noticing a trend here.)

Somewhere after this was the Eve flyby which also required a rescue (speaking off, anyone done a KSP calculator for interplanetary free return?), and a laythe mission that had no survivors so no need for a rescue.

Missions profile:

1) (and 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 + 9) Collapseonlaunchpadicus

10) Blowupshortlyafterleavinghtegroundeooo

11) Blowupabithigherupasd

12-15) Getouttheatmosphereandthinkwehaveorbituclar

16) Readaboutgravityturnsacus

17) Smackheadasverystupidicon.

18-24) Nearlygettoorbitucular

25) ORBITZZZZZ!

26-35) SmackintoMunatstupidspeedsarea

36) Youcanclickthespeedindicatorandmakeitrelativetothesurfaceohgreatium

37-42) Stillsmackingintothemunatstupidspeedsmateyioo

43) LANDINGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz WAHAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYYYYYAAYAYYYY!!!!!

On a more serious note I wanted to go Mun and back as first target. I soon ditched that idea after seeing it isn't that easy and just wanted to get out of the atmosphere.

Then get an orbit.

Go to the Mun.

Get a rover on the Mun.

Next go to Eve.

Duna.

Jool.

Laythe.

Munbase.

Rover on Laythe.

Currently mapping the Mun anomalies and visiting them one by one. I've done 2 so far. An arch and the South pole sink hole.

Only problem is I downloaded the B9 pack and now appear to be addicted to mods. Spent the whole of last night playing around with new parts and robotic arms and stuff and trying to make it not crash every launch. I think I got there now and am looking very much forward to playing around with all the new toys I got last night.

Especially looking forward to making some kind of disco with the aviation lights, the rotating discs from magic smoke and some kind of cargo bay, maybe some 'smoke machine' action via some small rockets...even sweeter.. Video of Kerbals raving on its way.

Edited by Monkeh

1) Mun

2) Duna

3) Gilly

4) Minmus

5) Laythe with probe

6) Dres

7) Dres rescue mission (underestimated how much delta-v was needed to stop)

8) Second Dres rescue mission to rescue the first mission and the rescuers.

9) Giant refueling station round kerbin for my Eeloo mission

10) Eeloo (With two landers and 12 Kerbals)

Next stop, the Jool system with a huge mother ship with some landers and a space plane.

1) Capsule into orbit and back again

2) Landing on Mun

3) Flying planes around Kerbin

4) Rover to Mun

5) Spaceplane to Laythe

6) Rover to Duna + small probe detached to go to Ike

7) Lander on Minmus

8) Satellite probes around Kerbin and it's moons

9) Satellite probes to Eeloo and Eve

10) Lander on Vall and Dres

1) orbit (This took a while)

2) kerbals on the mun. (Actually first attempt succeeded)

3) built space stations for a while, rendezvoused with various stranded orbital kerbals

4) multi launch manned ship to duna landing

5) minimus and more space stations

6) kethane mission to duna+like

7) SSTOs

8) Laythe + Vall base and kethane mining

9) robotic probes + rovers

10) much more elegant Apollo style mun landing

1. 5 probes/satellites sent to orbit Kerbin

2. Failed attempt at sending a probe to Minmus orbit

3. First kerbal sent to space, orbited Kerbin one time and landed near KSC

4. Picking up the kerbal with a plane

5. Sent a probe, probe lander and rover to Minmus

6. Sent a probe and probe lander to Mun

7. Sent a probe to Duna to scan for resources and find the best place for future colony

8. Probe lander sent to Duna to check if I chose a good place for colony

9. Sent 4 kethane probes and a new rover to Minmus, all in one launch

10. First kerbal (the same one that was first in space) to ever land on another celestial body

And now I plan to:

11. Build a spacestation

12. Build a Kethane network on Mun/Minmus

13. Build a base on Mun/Minmus

14. Send a kerbal to Duna and back

15. Build a colony on Duna

As a new KSP user, I'm trying to follow a somewhat NASA-like plan. After numerous failed attempts I finally got to the point where I could fairly reliably put craft into Kerbin orbit and then do orbital transfers. Now I am working (unsuccessfully thus far) at performing rendezvous and docking in Kerbin orbit, in the thought that these operations will be pretty important once I start trying to reach for the Mun, Minmus and other bodies. I'm also working on EVAs, and specifically on trying to get a Kerbal back inside at the conclusion of an EVA (which has proven to be completely impossible for me thus far ... I suspect my most recent capsule design has the side parachutes too close to the hatch or something like that). I do have one Kerbal stuck in orbit that I need to send a rescue mission after, and his ship doesn't have a docking port so I need to figure the EVA thing out in order to get him home.

After I figure out all of that, I'll probably move on to attempting to send unmanned payloads to Kerbin's moons to learn how to achieve lunar (Munar?) orbital insertion and so forth. And only THEN might I be ready to actually send a Kerbal out there to walk in Neil Armstrong's footsteps.

1., Landing (manned) on Mün. (First was succes because I'm the most luckiest bastard in the world)

2., Sending a.... 1 module space station to LKO.

3., Landing on Minmus (First was a succes, I'm the luckiest bastard ever ever ever)

4., Sending a space station to LKO with two modules

5., Sending a probe to land on Duna (First is succes, all hail the god Mr. Lucky Bastard!)

6., Landing on Duna with three Kerbals. (First is succes, so now who is the Lucky Bastard?)

In all: Im a Lucky Bastard.

As a new KSP user, I'm trying to follow a somewhat NASA-like plan. After numerous failed attempts I finally got to the point where I could fairly reliably put craft into Kerbin orbit and then do orbital transfers. Now I am working (unsuccessfully thus far) at performing rendezvous and docking in Kerbin orbit, in the thought that these operations will be pretty important once I start trying to reach for the Mun, Minmus and other bodies. I'm also working on EVAs, and specifically on trying to get a Kerbal back inside at the conclusion of an EVA (which has proven to be completely impossible for me thus far ... I suspect my most recent capsule design has the side parachutes too close to the hatch or something like that). I do have one Kerbal stuck in orbit that I need to send a rescue mission after, and his ship doesn't have a docking port so I need to figure the EVA thing out in order to get him home.

After I figure out all of that, I'll probably move on to attempting to send unmanned payloads to Kerbin's moons to learn how to achieve lunar (Munar?) orbital insertion and so forth. And only THEN might I be ready to actually send a Kerbal out there to walk in Neil Armstrong's footsteps.

Your EVA problem could be fixed by hitting 'R' and firing up their RCS packs to move them around. Shift goes up, CTRL goes down, WSAD for translation. Unless you already knew that and are just struggling to get to grips with it, which we all did :)

Incidentally, I can't really give a comprehensive list of my order of missions past getting out to Minmus, since I kind of lost track. I've been everywhere at least twice (far more than twice for the Mun; that chunk of rock has had at least a few dozen visits from me), so you can imagine how I lost track of things. I think I visited Duna first out of all of the outer planets, but it's all a blur of stations, rovers, bases, landers, and challenge runs now.

1. try demo and watch tutorial on how to get to the Mun

2. Build rocket that collapses on launch

3. Learn about struts

4. MORE STRUTS

5. launch Mun rocket into a very elliptic but equatorial orbit get a lunar intercept on first try land on Mun first try and complete return trip

(this was more luck and a well written guide than anything else since I didn't get a hang of orbital maneuvers until much later)

6. Buy game

7. Try to land on Mun in version 0.18 litho break into surface

8. Same as above

9. Finally kinda learn how orbital maneuvers work and land on the Mun again

10. Send mission to Minmus

11. Learn how to dock

12. Lock my self into VAB

13. Build planes rovers space stations

14. Actually launch the the mad contraptions into space with mixed results

15. In 0.21 finally get out of Kerbin SOI with an ion powered probe for Jool (actually got to Jool after a two hour correction burn that's real time)

16. Explore the whole Jool system in one mission except land on Vall because of a very strange bug which got the Vall probe lander stuck to the wrong tug

PRESENT

I have been trying lots of mods but haven't actually done any missions with them (I spend to much time in the VAB)

It all began when i saw the first video of KSP on Kurtjmac's channel, it was fun and challenging. I downloaded v 13.3 ( demo ) and started to do random stuff.. Like building huge rockets that i think will take off but instead tip over and explode, i didn't know the point of this game, but I was interested in space, i found scott manley's channel, learned stuff about orbit, circularizing.. Etc.. Then went straight to orbit, gotta be honest but i never reached the Mün until v .17, it was like the best update, I went to mun, minmus and duna, then .18 came out, featured docking, maneuver nodes and a new UI, went to ALMOST all planets, in .19 I became what i'm today, a second scott manley ;D, good times indeed..

1. Orbit

2. Kill a crew using the Mun

3. Kill several more crew using the mun.

4. Leave Kerbals stranded all around the Kerbin system.

5. Finally manage to strand a lone kerbal on the Mun.

6. Rescue party also stranded, on the other side of the mun in the dark.

7. Started watching Stock Manley videos.

8. SSTO's to Jool!!

Your EVA problem could be fixed by hitting 'R' and firing up their RCS packs to move them around. Shift goes up, CTRL goes down, WSAD for translation. Unless you already knew that and are just struggling to get to grips with it, which we all did :)

It's the latter. I did figure out how to use the RCS pack (after a few minutes straight out of the movie "Gravity" :)), and can get the Kerbonaut back to the capsule hatch where I get prompted to press "F" to grab it. But every time that I press "F", he bounces off into space rather than grabbing anything. I saw this happen to Scott Manley a couple of times in videos, and he seemed to say it was a flaw in his ship design, so that's my working theory as well. My Kerbal scientists are currently gathered around a table with all of the parts from the Kerbal capsule and an assignment to assemble them together in some jerry-rigged fashion that will allow my Kerbonaut access to the capsule again. Fortunately he doesn't seem to need to breathe or eat too often, and his spacesuit doubles as a Dune-style stillsuit for the other issues :)

(By the way, any game that allows me to reference "Gravity", "Apollo 13" and "Dune" in the same paragraph has to absolutely rock.)

Edited by Mystic

Having been left to play 0.13.3 for a while before finally getting 0.16 (and beyond), I did the only thing I could really do at the time; progress towards the ever-present goal of landing on the Mun. I had a few programs run:

Pioneer Program: Get into space. Successful.

Challenger Program: Get into orbit. Successful.

Explorer Program: Reach and land on the Mun. Unsuccessful.

The Challenger and Explorer Programs shared a rocket, as said rocket was one of my best at the time. I believe it was named 'Challenger 2-B Explorer'. That never reach Mun either. The Explorer Program failed simply because the rockets just weren't powerful enough.

For a time, it was just orbital missions involving unique spacecraft, one of which was a shuttle-esque vehicle. Until I watched a Scott Manley video on how to get to Mun, these orbital missions would be mostly eccentric, almost polar orbits around Kerbin. Then came...

Lunar Program: Land on the Mun, no exceptions. Successful.

The first time I landed on Mun was my second visit, but they never returned. It took maybe ten flights before I managed a land and return mission. After this point, I got 0.16 and had landings down to a T. Mun and Minmus were regularly visited.

0.17 hit and it was time to step up to the challenge of reaching the planets. I landed on Duna, Ike, and Eve in 0.17, and reached Jool orbit (just; the fuel bug had been squashed with this update).

0.18 saw a rise in Kerbin orbital missions due to space stations and satellites being implemented. Interplanetary cruisers began to emerge.

Fast track to 0.21 and I can say I've progressed to the point where I can handle most challenges. The only world I haven't touched is Tylo, and it's only a matter of time before I go there.

So there you have it, the order of my missions in Kerbal Space Program, effectively. 0.13 was a bit more organised than now, but no matter. It served its purpose in teaching me how to get things done, and what a job it did.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.