Constellation Space Program - Three Part Challenge

16 hours ago, Mopoii said:

I've just got a few questions :

- Do I have to demonstrate the ability of the spacecraft to reach certain destinations (eg. show that I can get Altair to the Mun, Orion to LKO etc.) ?

- About getting the EDS to LKO without using any of its fuel, does that mean that I should get the second stage of my Ares V to LKO using only the first stage and SRBs ? or is it about getting another stage 2 on top of the stage 2 to LKO ?

The challenge is designed to fully test the hardware designs, which means yes all separate demonstration missions must be flown.

In the mission where the EDS/Orion is delivered to LKO without using any of its fuel, that is achieved by the first stage and SRBs of Ares V. 

So, I've designed all the required vehicles for the challenge, but for now I've only tested Orion, and Ares I & V, so here is a gallery presenting them and demonstrating their capabilities according to the design requirements

https://imgur.com/gallery/bQJ7kI1

All the explanations and pictures are in there.

I believe the vehicles follow all the design rules, but tell me if I did something wrong or something is missing. I'll now be testing Altair and Mars Direct, so they'll be coming soon.

Anyway the challenge is great fun, glad you created it ;)

47 minutes ago, Mopoii said:

So, I've designed all the required vehicles for the challenge, but for now I've only tested Orion, and Ares I & V, so here is a gallery presenting them and demonstrating their capabilities according to the design requirements

https://imgur.com/gallery/bQJ7kI1

All the explanations and pictures are in there.

I believe the vehicles follow all the design rules, but tell me if I did something wrong or something is missing. I'll now be testing Altair and Mars Direct, so they'll be coming soon.

Anyway the challenge is great fun, glad you created it ;)

Awesome.. I'll have a look at home later. I'll be adding a few minor mission parameters for some "advanced" scores a little later as well. Hint: Will be expanding the challenge to include life-support and scaled-up KSP. This will not affect existing scores.

@Mopoii  Great looking craft and missions so far! :cool:  Very cool method for using the stock parts to build a 6 crew capsule.  

Announcing challenge updates:

Cleaned up the fonts/formatting that have been mangled through the years of forum updates.

New:
Two new scoring tables added to include some advanced gameplay options:

Difficulty Points (points stack)
  • Use any balanced Life Support mod (+3)
  • Upscale the Kerbol system ( + [scale factor] * 2 )
  • Use the RO/RSS bundle of mods (+10)
  • Enable Comm Network ON and Require signal for control ON (+2)
  • Use these in game settings: Re-entry heating 110%, Enable Comm Network ON, Part pressure limits ON, Part G-force limits ON, Kerbal G-force limits ON, Require signal for control ON, Plasma Blackout ON (+5)

Scientific Achievement Points

• Return surface samples from the Mun ( +2 for each biome, max 10 points)
  • Return surface samples from Duna (+3 for each biome, max 15 points)
  • If scored, the ATLAST space telescope includes: Any stock or mod telescope part and has sufficient power and communications to maintain constant communication with Kerbin (+2)
  • Leave at least one rover on the Mun capable of remote control and has at least 3 science parts, power and communication (+2)
  • Leave at least one rover on Duna capable of remote control and has at least 3 science parts, power and communication (+4)

Hi @Death Engineering , I am developing a Mars Direct entry, and just making sure I understand the rules for maximum points.

Mission profile:

• Launch interplanetary craft (Duna Habitat lander/DAV+Rovers Lander/NERVA tug  on Ares V (multiple launches?)
  • Orion+crew on Ares 1, docking with above in low Kerbin orbit, transfer 6 x crew
  • Orion remains in orbit while Duna interplanetary craft proceeds to Duna low orbit
  • Robot controlled Duna Lander vehicle lands on Duna, including 
    • Duna Ascent Vehicle (DAV) with 6 pressurised seats
    • 2 x robot controlled rovers, each with seats for 3 Kerbals, two seats are pressurised.
    • Rovers can be docked to make one rover with 6 seats, 4 pressurised.
  • Duna Habitat Lander with 8 pressurised seats lands near the above lander
  • Crew explore Duna in rovers collecting science until next Hohmann transfer window 
  • Crew transferred by rovers to DAV
  • DAV ascends to Duna orbit, rendezvous with NERVA tug
  • Return to Kerbin, rendezvous with Orion
  • Re-enter Kerbin in Orion, 6 crew safely landed.

12 minutes ago, jinnantonix said:

Hi @Death Engineering , I am developing a Mars Direct entry, and just making sure I understand the rules for maximum points.

Mission profile:

• Launch interplanetary craft (Duna Habitat lander/DAV+Rovers Lander/NERVA tug  on Ares V (multiple launches?)
  • Orion+crew on Ares 1, docking with above in low Kerbin orbit, transfer 6 x crew
  • Orion remains in orbit while Duna interplanetary craft proceeds to Duna low orbit
  • Robot controlled Duna Lander vehicle lands on Duna, including 
    • Duna Ascent Vehicle (DAV) with 6 pressurised seats
    • 2 x robot controlled rovers, each with seats for 3 Kerbals, two seats are pressurised.
    • Rovers can be docked to make one rover with 6 seats, 4 pressurised.
  • Duna Habitat Lander with 8 pressurised seats lands near the above lander
  • Crew explore Duna in rovers collecting science until next Hohmann transfer window 
  • Crew transferred by rovers to DAV
  • DAV ascends to Duna orbit, rendezvous with NERVA tug
  • Return to Kerbin, rendezvous with Orion
  • Re-enter Kerbin in Orion, 6 crew safely landed.

Hey @jinnantonix you are go for landing!

Yeah, there are multiple launches for sure. Depending on interpretation of the challenge, anywhere from two to four launches would be typical.

@Death EngineeringI have designed this mission for 2 launches.  I have a big Ares V craft which can carry 180t of payload to 120km LKO (the real Ares V was capable of 188t payload), So one launch is required for all of the cargo and equipment for Mars Direct (85t).  The second launch is for the crew aboard the Orion on the Ares 1, which has a payload capability of 20t.  

Edit:  On second thought, I will do 4 launches 3 x Ares V and 1 x Ares 1, in keeping with the spirit of the challenge.  Launching a 85t payload is somewhat ungainly and unrealistic.

XiMf86b.png

RUSYeUX.png

Edited by jinnantonix

Hi,

I've now designed and tested the remaining vehicles, which are Altair, the Munar outpost, Mars Direct, the Duna outpost and the rovers.

Here is the gallery for the testing of these vehicles http://imgur.com/a/TdNpdUk

They were all designed to meet the challenge requirements, and the testing was aimed at demonstrating their ability to perform according to their desired capabilities for missions later on.

I'll just give a bit of context to the screenshots :

The Altair is launched on top of an unmodified Ares V (only the fairing is widened so nothing sticks out) and arrives in orbit with the EDS with a lot of fuel remaining. After docking with the Orion Block 2, the EDS can put them into a Munar trajectory, and the orbit insertion burn is performed by the Altair (which I forgot to screenshot). They then decouple, the Altair lands and the rovers attached to the top and side of the spacecraft are deployed using RCS. Second stage of Altair ascends to LMO, and docks with Orion for crew transfer. Burn back to Kerbin, decouple, enter atmosphere, land, tadaa !

I then sent the Munar outpost (yes, after the crew left, because it was easier to perform one mission at a time, and that the point here was just to demonstrate its capability). It is also launched on top of an unmodified Ares V, reaches LKO with EDS full, burns to the Mun and the EDS helps with a lot of the slowing down during descent (even though the Outpost can land on its own, I did it this way just to have a lot of spare deltaV to "hop" to the rest of the base. 

Now for Duna. The Mars Direct is also launched on top of an unmodified Ares V (I launched it with the crew but it is possible to have it dock with Orion by installing a docking port on the bottom part of the pressurised rover). Classic launch to Duna. Nothing original either with the descent, and rovers are the same as the ones sent to the Mun, and are deployed in the same way. Classic getting back to Kerbin, decoupling, reentering atmosphere, and landing.

Same as for the Mun, the outpost is sent separately from an Ares V. Only difference is the presence of parachutes to save deltaV.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:50 AM, Mopoii said:

I was just wondering : do I have to complete the "missions" part to get the design points, or is it separate ? And can I grab the badge or must I complete the whole challenge ?

When you've completed as much of the challenge you are planning to, post up a score summary with what points you are claiming for each section. If you go back and complete more steps of the challenge, post a new score and I will update the board.

Never really defined a badge.. I'll look into it.

Well I'm basically claiming all points for the "Design" section, so all 70. Probably not worth reposting all the points for every specification. Here are the galleries I linked higher up, just for rechecking if you want :

Orion (block 1 & 2), Ares I and Ares IV : https://imgur.com/gallery/bQJ7kI1

Ares V, Altair, Lunar outpost, Mars direct and Duna outpost : https://imgur.com/a/TdNpdUk

I have just loaded v1.7, so I am guessing RO/RSS is not supported, and I would need to revert to 1.6.1.  Looks like this option would be a massive undertaking, and would need to rebuild everything from scratch.  I wonder how long until 1.7 is supported?

Still looking to go ahead with my stock only, Mars Direct mission.  I have added TAC-LS mod, which seems to work with 1.7, although oddly Jebediah Kerman is now a scientist.  Will also set difficulty settings and gather the science points, and not yet do RO/RSS and upscale.  I have also added an artificial gravity Duna Transfer Habitat module, just for fun.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:52 AM, jinnantonix said:

Jebediah Kerman is now a scientist. 

Disturbing...

Sounds like a huge endeavor   :cool:

18 hours ago, HyperDraco said:

Are mods allowed?

Such as TweakScale?

Yes, good to go.

17 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Orion is one of my favourite designs to replicate!

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my Mars Direct submission.

Mods Used:  TAC-LS and Tweakscale, otherwise all stock parts.

Scoring

Spoiler

Difficulty Points (points stack)

• Use any balanced Life Support mod (+3)
  • Enable Comm Network ON and Require signal for control ON (+2)
  • Use these in game settings: Re-entry heating 110%, Enable Comm Network ON, Part pressure limits ON, Part G-force limits ON, Kerbal G-force limits ON, Require signal for control ON, Plasma Blackout ON (+5)

Total = 10

Scientific Achievement Points

• Return surface samples from Duna (+3 for each biome, max 15 points)
  • Leave at least one rover on Duna capable of remote control and has at least 3 science parts, power and communication (+4)

Total = 19

Duna Lander Design (Mars Direct) - Max 13 points

• Lander supports 4 crew (+4)
  • Kerbin Return Vehicle capable of Kerbin return with either direct ascent to Kerbin or Duna Orbit Rendezvous with Kerbin return stage (+3)
  • Rover bonus: Bring at least one rover with seats for at least half (round up) of the lander crew (+3)
  • Addition rover: Bring a second rover (same or different than first rover) (+1)
  • Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with either the Kerbin Return Vehicle or the Duna lander (+2)

Duna Mission - Orion/Ares I/Ares V/Duna Lander - Max 17 points

• Land an un-Kerballed Kerbin Return Vehicle on Duna. Can be either Duna-Kerbin direct ascent capable or dock with an orbiting Duna-Kerbin return stage (+4)
  • At least 4 Kerbals pass withing 5000km of Duna (+2)
  • Land at least four Kerbals on Duna within 10 km (100 km if by rover) of the above Duna lander. To earn these points, the un-Kerballed lander above must be landed and remain powered. Successful landing must take place before the landing crew has committed to Duna re-entry (+5)
  • Each landing crew over 4, up to 6 crew maximum (+1 each; max +2)
  • Return the Duna landing crew and any remaining Duna orbiting crew to Kerbin (+4)

Total = 30

Grand total = 59 points

Edited by jinnantonix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.