Constellation Space Program - Three Part Challenge

Very cool mission !

Thanks.  The Mars Direct mission was done first so I could try out a few ideas.  I now have all the hardware ready for doing the Konstellation Space Program.

Question for @Death Engineering.   For the ATLAST telescope I propose using a SENTINEL.  Is that OK, or should I develop something with a more realistic mass?

Edited by jinnantonix

On 6/12/2019 at 3:52 AM, jinnantonix said:

Here is my Mars Direct submission.

Other peoples' ingenuity never ceases to amaze me! Great use of stock parts to develop what looks like a viable mission profile (if kerballed up a little). :cool:

I wrote this challenge almost six years ago as a tribute to what could have been a great reach towards deep space exploration, if only spoiled by something so vacuous as economics. Great mission!

On 6/12/2019 at 3:03 PM, Mopoii said:

I tried getting the ATLAST telescope to Sun-synchronous orbit [...]

Yeah, getting down there is a b****. I resorted to ions in the end.

On 6/12/2019 at 7:33 PM, jinnantonix said:

For the ATLAST telescope I propose using a SENTINEL

Totally good with that part, in keeping with the challenge it should be powered and have communications, station-keeping, etc. :normal:

Thanks @Death Engineering for a great challenge.  6 years?  Wow.  I am late to KSP, I think this has been my favourite challenge.

Great use of stock parts to develop what looks like a viable mission profile (if kerballed up a little). 

I very deliberately did not follow the SLS architecture    -  the Mars landers in that design are unnecessarily complex.  Also I think that any manned mission to Mars would certainly have artificial spin gravity to ensure the health of the astronauts.  Some form of shield against solar radiation would be needed, but I can't decide how to do that with stock parts, so assuming the FL-A5 adaptor provides.

I am now working through the challenge from the start, and have completed the Part 1 testing phase (video pending). 

Part 2 will be landing Kerbals on the Mun, with an Altair landing at the pole, and an Altair and Outpost habitat landed at the equator with 6 Kerbals, and lots of life support.  Part 2 will also include the ATLAST telescope deployment - this is harder than I originally thought. Edit:  Managed this with a big Wolfhound based booster and a "Dawn" ion engine.

For Part 3, I will be resubmitting the Duna mission with a few additions. 

1. The DAV (Duna Ascent Vehicle) will be a SSTO that is intended to remain in orbit at the end of the mission, and may be refuelled and returned to the surface in a future mission.  If Kerbals spend billions of $Kredits getting a piece of hardware like that to Duna, you'd want to get more than a single launch out of it, right?
  2. The Duna atmospheric entry requires some effort to protect against frictional heating, so I will be including fairings to protect the craft during aerobraking.  The part 3 video will include testing of the fairings on Kerbin.

Edited by jinnantonix

Konstellation Space Program - part 1

1. Ares 1+EDS       Kerballed       Suborbital flight
  2. Ares 1                Unkerballed    Launch escape
  3. Ares 1                Kerballed        Launch 5 crew, swap at space station
  4. Ares 1                Unkerballed    Launch liferaft
  5. Ares V                Unkerballed    Orion + EDS.  Munar orbit, high speed entry.  9Gs
  6. Ares V+Ares 1    Kerballed       Mun Lander, Ares 1 + Orion.  LKO:  Dock, separate, redock, Land.
  7. Ares V+Ares 1    Kerballed       Mun Lander, Ares 1 + Orion.  MKO:  Dock, separate, redock, Land.

Edited by jinnantonix

Konstellation Space Program - part 2

8.      Ares V                  Unkerballed    Altair 1 without the use of an Orion spacecraft (EDS and Altair only launched from Ares V).  Land at equator
9.      Ares V+Ares 1    Kerballed         Altair 2 with the use of an Orion spacecraft.  4 Kerbals land at north pole.  Return 4 Kerbals to Kerbin
10.    Ares V+Ares 1    Kerballed         Altair 3 on the Mun with 6 Kerbals aboard. Land 100m from Altair 1.  
11.    Ares V                  UnKerballed    Mun Outpost variant with two Rovers.  Land 100m from Altair 1 and 3.  Do science.  Return to 6 Kerbals to Kerbin
12     Ares V                  UnKerballed    ATLAST telescope launch, deliver to low Kerbol orbit.

Edited by jinnantonix

• 7 months later...

Konstellation + JNSQ

And we're back...

Refusing to let old challenges die, in my "I'm playing you for the last time" tour, this return to the Constellation Space Program will be played out in the spectacular JNSQ planetary system overhaul mod. For those not familiar, JNSQ scales the stock KSP system up by 2.7x, rearranges some of the planets to fit the new system better, and adds a few new planets as well.

In this introduction post, laying down the Difficulty Points as follows:

Difficulty Points (points stack)
  • Use any balanced Life Support mod (+3)
  • Upscale the Kerbol system ( + [scale factor] * 2 ) (+5.4)
  • Use the RO/RSS bundle of mods (+10)
  • Enable Comm Network ON and Require signal for control ON (+2)
  • Use these in game settings: Re-entry heating 110%, Enable Comm Network ON, Part pressure limits ON, Part G-force limits ON, Kerbal G-force limits ON, Require signal for control ON, Plasma Blackout ON (+5)
  • Total: 15.4

And also introducing the Ares I and Orion 6...

dSCfGP7l.png

Performing Boiler-plate test

EHXBbkem.png  RTgkDoem.png

LES test and recovery

ytDJsT3l.png

Uncrewed launch to Space Station Seven as lifeboat

Crew Launch Vehicle (Ares I) - 11 points

• Two stage rocket to LKO (+2)
  • Does not jettison any radial stages (solid or liquid tanks/engines) (+2)
  • Can carry Orion Block 1 to low orbit without using any fuel from the Orion service module (+1)
  • Can carry Orion Block 2 to low orbit without using any fuel from the Orion service module (+2)
  • Uses any solid fuel booster on first stage (+1)
  • Uses only solid fuel on first stage (+3)

Crew Vehicle (Orion) - 14 points

• Supports at least 4 crew (+4)
  • Each crew over 4, up to 6 crew maximum (+2)
  • Self-contained multi-purpose spacecraft: Launch Escape System (LES), Power, RCS fuel/thrusters, orbital maneuvering engine/fuel, docking port, probe core (+2)
  • Service module: Before landing, drops orbital maneuvering engine and all it's fuel and at least a portion of RCS fuel (+2)
  • Safely touches down on land and water (+1)
  • Solar/battery electrical only (no RTG) (+2)
  • Block 1/2 bonus: Develop a Block 2 with slightly higher delta-V. Block 1 is intended for low orbit missions and the Block 2 for Munar/deep space missions (+1)

The Altair and Arev V are still over-budget and behind-schedule, but nothing like its real-life counterpart.. I'm looking at you, SLS!

• 3 weeks later...

Konstellation + JNSQ - Ares V / Altair Testing

Introducing the Ares V and Altair to this challenge attempt. Although the Altair is a little unsightly, it gets the job done. So far, we've completed the Ares V/Orion munar flyby and high speed re-entry test and the LKO Altair test. Before heading to a Mun landing with the first un-crewed Altair, we're going to need a communications network. 

9sPmYKUl.png

Orion 6 Block II on Ares V preparing for Munar flyby

2xyBPQPm.png  guAeiibm.png

TMI and Flyby

izRIdygm.png  b4BBdNnm.png

9.2 G's on re-entry and safe recovery

djhHHV8l.png

Altair on Ares V

FY3olW1l.png

Orion docked to Altair for LKO test

YPuijIEm.png  RTgkDoem.png

Ascent module returning to Orion and water landing

Ares V Design points:

Heavy Cargo Lift Vehicle (Ares V) - 10 points (Max 11 points)

• Five or six liquid engines on first stage (+3)
  • Does not jettison any radial liquid tanks/engines (+2)
  • Uses and jettisons at least two solid fuel boosters on first stage (+1)
  • Two stage rocket to LKO: After the first stage is dropped, the second stage (EDS), carries payload to orbit (+2)
  • Can carry the Earth Departure Stage (EDS) and Orion BLock 1 to low orbit without using any fuel from the EDS (+1)
  • EDS Bonus: Second stage can put Orion Block 1 into Munar free-return trajectory (+2)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Konstellation + JNSQ - Mun Missions and Departing for Duna

After 5 successful Mun landings, completing the Mun components of this challenge, the Duna mission is well underway. Initially had thought about doing a 'Mars Direct' style mission but just couldn't get it to come together so have gone with a Copernicus-style mission instead. 

7WM7dIil.png

Space Station crew rotation and rescue mission docked to Station

VbsNruWl.png

First Altair Crewed Landing

DRB4CPrl.png

tom8JmCl.png

Advanced Research Lab Altair and Rovers on North Pole

MX9GiVCl.png

Orbital Assembly completed for KOP-1, crew arriving

16qHsscl.png

Leaving for Duna

Edited by Death Engineering

• 2 months later...

Konstellation + JNSQ - Mun Missions Complete and a Wild Mountain Drive

ND1Pfgel.png

A 9-krew Altair set down in the bottom of a deep crater near a steep cliff. Later, a modified Cargo Altair set down next to it and dropped off a 2 krew pressurized rover. Feeling brave (and noting that F5/F9 is your friend), two kerbs set out on their ascent.

sIzcqzol.png

Amazingly capable rover for just a command pod and four tires!

Next up will be the Duna landing and perhaps the telescope, but does anyone know what the stationary orbit around JNSQ's sun is? I tried to calculate it but...

Konstellation + JNSQ - Duna Mission Complete, Krew headed home

dHSKU9Ol.png

Crew arriving at Duna

While wrapping up the Mun missions, the Duna mission completed their landing and surface stay. The Habitat with re-dockable rover landed near the pre-landed ascent module. The rover didn't have much climbing power, but still managed to make a few ascents for flags and foto ops.

Eylcsltl.png

Crew in their Habitat landing near the ascent module

Some strange features on Duna include what appear to be ploughed fields and floating rocks.  Maybe floating rocks are normal KSP or some artifact of JNSQ, but they seemed to be persistently floating not spawned-in.  A flag left behind by the rover expedition remained there after the crew had moved on.

mLSVRWxl.png

Bill claims this floating rock in the name of Anti-Gravity Research

The ascent module is a two-stage to orbit for all 6 krew. Maximizing their surface time, the interplanetary craft lit up the nukes and headed home immediately once the krew was on board.

K3If1Jql.png

Going home

Probably going to skip the space teleskope, so once the krew makes it back home should wrap up this JNSQ Konstellation mission. Even without the telescope mission, this won't be a maximum points entry, having missed some science points (surface biomes) on Duna. Anyone else up to an upscaled KSP run-through of this challenge?  ;)  I must say that using this platform to explore JNSQ was very rewarding. Not to mention the scale-shock when going back to stock KSP :D

Lyv43O3l.png

Pre-landing crew transfer (someone forgot a docking port, didn't they?)

Edited by Death Engineering

• 1 month later...

Konstellation + JNSQ - Duna Krew arrives home

OAo9A32l.png

This parting shot leaving Duna wraps up the interplanetary Konstellation missions for this challenge attempt. As mentioned earlier, not going to deploy the 'scope (mostly because I don't know where the orbit would be, haha).

Scoring Pointages:

Spoiler

Design points (points):

• Crew Launch Vehicle (Ares I) - 11 points
    • Two stage rocket to LKO (+2)
    • Does not jettison any radial stages (solid or liquid tanks/engines) (+2)
    • Can carry Orion Block 1 to low orbit without using any fuel from the Orion service module (+1)
    • Can carry Orion Block 2 to low orbit without using any fuel from the Orion service module (+2)
    • Uses any solid fuel booster on first stage (+1)
    • Uses only solid fuel on first stage (+3)
  • Heavy Cargo Lift Vehicle (Ares V) - 8 points
    • Five or six liquid engines on first stage (+3)
    • Does not jettison any radial liquid tanks/engines (+2)
    • Uses and jettisons at least two solid fuel boosters on first stage (+1)
    • Two stage rocket to LKO: After the first stage is dropped, the second stage (EDS), carries payload to orbit (+2)
  • Crew Vehicle (Orion) - 14 points
    • Supports at least 4 crew (+4)
    • Self-contained multi-purpose spacecraft: Launch Escape System (LES), Power, RCS fuel/thrusters, orbital maneuvering engine/fuel, docking port, probe core (+2)
    • Service module: Before landing, drops orbital maneuvering engine and all it's fuel and at least a portion of RCS fuel (+2)
    • Safely touches down on land and water (+1)
    • Solar/battery electrical only (no RTG) (+2)
    • Block 1/2 bonus: Develop a Block 2 with slightly higher delta-V. Block 1 is intended for low orbit missions and the Block 2 for Munar/deep space missions (+1)
  • Munar Lander (Altair) - 19 points
    • Supports 4 crew (+4)
    • Can perform un-Kerballed landings without the use of an Orion spacecraft (Altair and EDS launched on Ares V) (+1)
    • Can perform Munar orbit insertion from Kerbin-Mun trajectory for both an Altair and and Orion capsule (either Block I or II) without using any Orion fuel (+2)
    • 2 stage lander with separate ascent stage (descent stage stays on Munar surface) (+2)
    • Rover bonus: Can deploy at least one rover with seats for at least half (round up) of the lander crew (+3)
    • Addition rover: Can deploy a second rover (same or different than first rover) (+1)
    • Pressurized rover: Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with a crewed or uncrewed Altair lander, an Outpost Variant lander or a specialized Cargo Altair that brings only the rover (+2)
    • Outpost Variant: Develop a version of the Altair that can land robotically and has enough room for 1.5 times your Altair landing crew size (round up). Eg. If your Altair lander seats 4, the Outpost Variant should have pressurized seats for 6. If your Altair lander seats 5, your Outpost Variant should seat 8. The Outpost Variant can have, but does not require, the ability to return from Munar surface. (+2)
  • Duna Lander (Mars Direct) - 14 points
    • Lander supports 4 crew (+4)
    • Kerbin Return Vehicle capable of Kerbin return with either direct ascent to Kerbin or Duna Orbit Rendezvous with Kerbin return stage (+3)
    • Rover bonus: Bring at least one rover with seats for at least half (round up) of the lander crew (+3)
    • Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with either the Kerbin Return Vehicle or the Duna lander (+2)
    • Outpost Variant: Develop the Duna lander to remain on Duna as a permanent outpost. The Duna landing mission should include pressurized seats for 1.5 times your crew size (round up). Eg. If your Duna lander seats 4, the Outpost Variant should have pressurized seats for 6. If your Duna lander seats 5, your Outpost Variant should seat 8 (+2)

Mission Points ( points):

• Research and Development - 22 points
    • Launch a boilerplate Orion capsule/EDS on suborbital flight using Ares I (+1)
    • Perform an abort and recovery (LES) of an un-Kerballed Orion capsule using the Launch Escape System, while first stage is firing (+1)
    • Launch and dock an unkerballed Orion Block 1 to the orbiting space station, for use as a lifeboat (+2)
    • Using an Ares V and EDS, send an un-Kerballed Orion spacecraft into a free-return trajectory orbit to the Mun and perform a high speed re-entry test. Re-entry g-force must exceed 9g's (+2)
    • Perform a LKO test of an Altair Munar lander. With at least one Kerbal on board, fly an Altair Munar lander at least 100km away from the Orion spacecraft. Dispose of the descent stage, then fly the ascent stage back to the Orion. Transfer the crew to the Orion then robotically control the ascent stage into a re-entry orbit (+3)
    • Perform the above Altair test in Munar orbit using EOR mission (+1)
    • Using an un-Kerballed Duna lander and an EDS on Ares V, perform a high-speed re-entry from at least 15,000km Ap. (+2)
    • Launch an un-Kerballed Duna lander on Ares V into low orbit. Perform an orbital test and descent of the lander (crewed or uncrewed) (+3)
    • Use an Ares I in at least one space station docking mission (+1)
    • Use an Ares I in at least one Munar mission (flyby, orbital or landing) (+1)
    • Use an Ares I in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+1)
    • Use an Ares V in at least one Munar mission (orbital or landing) (+2)
    • Use an Ares V in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+2)
  • Space Station - Orion/Ares I - 3 points
    • Have already successfully orbited an Orion with full crew and returned safely to Kerbin.
    • Launch an Orion to the orbiting space station with at least 4 crew. Perform a crew exchange and return four Kerbals from the space station to Kerbin using the Orion. (+2)
    • Return at least one Kerbal from the space station to Kerbin in an Orion which was docked robotically. This is a "liferaft" scenario intended to use the Orion left at the space station in "Research and Development" above. (+1)
  • Mun - Orion/Ares I/Ares V/Altair - 14 points
    • Have already docked an Orion to the space station (crewed or robotic)
    • Land an un-Kerballed Altair on the Mun without the use of an Orion spacecraft (EDS and Altair only launched from Ares V) (+2)
    • Demonstrate that your Altair can, on its own, brake the Orion and Altair into Mun orbit and perform a polar landing: north pole (>66°N), south pole (>°S) (+2)
    • Land at least 4 Kerbals in an Altair on the Mun within 1km of either above Altair (+3)
    • Return four Kerbals from a Munar landing to Kerbin (+2)
    • Munar Outpost: Using at least one crewed Altair lander, an Outpost Variant and a pressurized rover set up a Munar Outpost. The Outpost Variant can join a crewed Altair already on the Mun or can be part of a separate Altair/Outpost Variant mission to another location. The Altair and Outpost Variant need to be within 100m of each other. (+5)
  • Duna - Orion/Ares I/Ares V/Duna Lander - 18 points
    • Have already successfully completed a Mun landing and return with Orion and Altair
    • Land an un-Kerballed Kerbin Return Vehicle on Duna. Can be either Duna-Kerbin direct ascent capable or dock with an orbiting Duna-Kerbin return stage (+4)
    • At least 4 Kerbals pass withing 5000km of Duna (+2)
    • Land at least four Kerbals on Duna within 10 km (100 km if by rover) of the above Duna lander. To earn these points, the un-Kerballed lander above must be landed and remain powered. Successful landing must take place before the landing crew has committed to Duna re-entry (+5)
    • Duna Outpost: The Duna lander uses the Duna Outpost Variant which stays on the surface and includes a pressurized rover. (+3)
    • Return the Duna landing crew and any remaining Duna orbiting crew to Kerbin (+4)

Science Points - 5 points

• Altair descent stage science: +1 for each science-equipped Altair landed on Mun (maximum +3)
  • Kerbin Return Vehicle: Pre-landed Kerbin return vehicle on the Duna mission contains a science package (+1)
  • Duna Lander: Lander on the Duna mission contains a science package (+1)

Total Primary Challenge: 128 points

Difficulty Points (points stack) - 15.4 points

• Use any balanced Life Support mod (+3)
  • Upscale the Kerbol system ( + [scale factor] * 2 ) (+5.4)
  • Use the RO/RSS bundle of mods (+10)
  • Enable Comm Network ON and Require signal for control ON (+2)
  • Use these in game settings: Re-entry heating 110%, Enable Comm Network ON, Part pressure limits ON, Part G-force limits ON, Kerbal G-force limits ON, Require signal for control ON, Plasma Blackout ON (+5)

Scientific Achievement Points - 22 points

• Return surface samples from the Mun (10 points)
  • Return surface samples from Duna (6 points)
  • Leave at least one rover on the Mun capable of remote control and has at least 3 science parts, power and communication (+2)
  • Leave at least one rover on Duna capable of remote control and has at least 3 science parts, power and communication (+4)

This was never going to be a max-points attempt, as the JNSQ scale made some of the requirements a little out of reach without really bending the Constellation hardware parameters. Nevertheless, the added challenge of JNSQ + life support more than made up for the challenge difficulty.

One final shot of our 4 crew returning home..

OQq7SMnm.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Death EngineeringI refuse to let this challenge die!

New Space Initiative Announced

(October 6, Cape Town, Kerbia, KAP)- The Kerbal Space Program has laid forth an ambitious plan to explore the Mun and Duna. The program, led by Mortimer Kerman, has presented a timeline that calls for using legacy hardware from the successful but limited to local space KSTS program to send a kerballed mission to Duna by year 10. The agency has been plagued by budget...

MORE on page A7

Spoiler

So, yes, I will be doing an attempt at completing this challengd for maximum points using JNSQ, tacls, and a few other mods I'll mention when they come into play. Ares will be from REdirect, Altair from MAH, and the Mars Transfer Vehicle along with the MDV/MAV will be kitbashed. I'm also going to make a LOP-G station, despite it not being part of Constellation AFAIK, just for the heck of it.

Mission reports will come in a news format like the one above, with some screenshots for verification. I hope I finish this in a timely manner and we all enjoy it!

EDIT: On second thought, this might take so long and so many posts that it's better to split it into the Mission Reports subforum as to not clutter this thread up. I'll see you all there when I've completed a couple installments!

UPD.

Here!

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

@Death Engineering I second what @Clamp-o-Tron said. No death for this gem of a challenge!

SPACE NEWS
"MUN TO STAY"
KSC TO SEND KERBALS BACK ON THE MUN, THIS TIME WITH A PLAN

QXJSSWq.png

KSC, Jebediah's Junkyard & Spaceship Parts Co. and Kerlington technicians preparing for the official rollout of the two Aries capsule mockups

Walter Kerman report -

Following weeks of unconfirmed rumors and comments, this morning we finally had an official communication from the Presidential Science Commitee for Space.
"As the 40th anniversary of our first Munar landing approaches" reads the communiquè "it's clear that space exploration needs a new, well defined target. Once again this will be the Mun, but we will go back there not to simply relive past glories, but as a long term, sustainable exploration program, with a vision for future growth and real returns for all kerbality."
The communiquè carries on describing as the program first aim is to build a transport infrastructure to the Munar surface and to generate knowledge on the resources found there, before moving on to their future exploiting in a possible interplanetary fuel economy. While the plan for the initial landings and exploration is explained in detail, going as far as describing a sprawling Munar base reminiscent of pulp fiction dreams, a passing reference to Duna exploration doesn't shed much light on how will this interplanetary exploration campaign be carried on, or what the final aim would be.
"The program will run on time and on budget, without starving other space scientific research" carries on the message. This last statement was reportedly met by scoffing from the members of the planetary sciences and astronomy communities. Historically, the robotic explorers have always played second fiddle to their more glamorous green colleagues and their daredevil exploits.
A very different reaction came from the representatives of commercial launch companies. While not specifically stated, it can be expected that there might be some commercial contract up for the grabs, especially now that the Spacelab Space Station and her flurry of resupply and crew transport contracts is approaching operational end of life.
As for now there are many question marks over this new space endeavour, but at least one firm point: the project will be named Zodiac, hopefully delivering better results than it's astrological namesake.

Spoiler

This is a project I've been working on for the past weeks, building and testing the various crafts. I've reached a point where I'm confident enough to go public, also because I'va actually flown all the R&D missions, and I just have to write down the reports.
I will follow the Constellation mission architecture, but going forward I plan to use various bits and pieces from other what-if space programs, for example NASA's Integrated Program Plan, ULA's CisLunar 1000 and Nasa's Fly-By Landing Excursion Mode (this one only if I'm feeling frisky). The final goal is to land kerbals on Duna, but how will I arrive there is still being studied. I have some ideas, but let's see how the program develops.
I'm running a save with JNSQ, Nertea's full suite of mods, KIS, KAS, Better SRBs, some quality of life mods and one which most definitely doesn't add quality of life, Kerbalism.
I'll be posting in a separate mission report thread. I will post agency's internal reports on the mission, industry presentations for the equipment, and every now and then an article or two like this if I'm so inclined.
So, see you all on my next (first?) installment!

Edited by borisperrons

• 2 weeks later...

'ello, this is my entry into the challenge

Spoiler

It will be following the main Structure of the Constellation Program but I am planning for a MSR Mission, ARM, MBC and the 2 Europa Missions (Clipper and Lander), CRS will still be a thing but Modified and The ISS will be De-Orbited

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 1:36 AM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

New Space Initiative Announced

On 10/8/2020 at 6:23 PM, borisperrons said:

"MUN TO STAY"

On 10/16/2020 at 11:34 PM, JakGamingKSP said:

'ello, this is my entry into the challenge

Ahh, I love a Constellation mission! And three people who like this mission profile as much as I do.. haha!  

Welcome newcomers and 'frequent fliers' alike!  :D 

The last time I played KSP (has it been 3 months..?!?), I was playing JNSQ missions to Duna and Edna using Constellation/Copernicus designs. Sure would like to get back to completing that mission some day..

To all my KSP-playing friends still interested in completing this challenge, I am going to have very limited time to look at this site moving forward.  That said, I will get an email in my top-shelf email if someone has a question that isn't covered in the first 24 pages of this thread, or if someone completes the challenge and has a score to add on the OP

Creating this challenge was something I did two jobs ago and what feels like a lifetime, but as long as KSP and this forum are a thing, I'll always try and come back to check on how everyone is doing. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.