Death Engineering

Constellation Space Program - Three Part Challenge

Posted (edited)

Very cool mission !

Thanks.  The Mars Direct mission was done first so I could try out a few ideas.  I now have all the hardware ready for doing the Konstellation Space Program.

Question for @Death Engineering.   For the ATLAST telescope I propose using a SENTINEL.  Is that OK, or should I develop something with a more realistic mass?

Edited by jinnantonix

On 6/12/2019 at 3:52 AM, jinnantonix said:

Here is my Mars Direct submission.

Other peoples' ingenuity never ceases to amaze me! Great use of stock parts to develop what looks like a viable mission profile (if kerballed up a little). :cool:

I wrote this challenge almost six years ago as a tribute to what could have been a great reach towards deep space exploration, if only spoiled by something so vacuous as economics. Great mission!

On 6/12/2019 at 3:03 PM, Mopoii said:

I tried getting the ATLAST telescope to Sun-synchronous orbit [...]

Yeah, getting down there is a b****. I resorted to ions in the end.

On 6/12/2019 at 7:33 PM, jinnantonix said:

For the ATLAST telescope I propose using a SENTINEL

Totally good with that part, in keeping with the challenge it should be powered and have communications, station-keeping, etc. :normal:

Thanks @Death Engineering for a great challenge.  6 years?  Wow.  I am late to KSP, I think this has been my favourite challenge.

Great use of stock parts to develop what looks like a viable mission profile (if kerballed up a little). 

I very deliberately did not follow the SLS architecture    -  the Mars landers in that design are unnecessarily complex.  Also I think that any manned mission to Mars would certainly have artificial spin gravity to ensure the health of the astronauts.  Some form of shield against solar radiation would be needed, but I can't decide how to do that with stock parts, so assuming the FL-A5 adaptor provides.

I am now working through the challenge from the start, and have completed the Part 1 testing phase (video pending). 

Part 2 will be landing Kerbals on the Mun, with an Altair landing at the pole, and an Altair and Outpost habitat landed at the equator with 6 Kerbals, and lots of life support.  Part 2 will also include the ATLAST telescope deployment - this is harder than I originally thought. Edit:  Managed this with a big Wolfhound based booster and a "Dawn" ion engine.

For Part 3, I will be resubmitting the Duna mission with a few additions. 

1. The DAV (Duna Ascent Vehicle) will be a SSTO that is intended to remain in orbit at the end of the mission, and may be refuelled and returned to the surface in a future mission.  If Kerbals spend billions of $Kredits getting a piece of hardware like that to Duna, you'd want to get more than a single launch out of it, right?
  2. The Duna atmospheric entry requires some effort to protect against frictional heating, so I will be including fairings to protect the craft during aerobraking.  The part 3 video will include testing of the fairings on Kerbin.

Edited by jinnantonix

Konstellation Space Program - part 1

1. Ares 1+EDS       Kerballed       Suborbital flight
  2. Ares 1                Unkerballed    Launch escape
  3. Ares 1                Kerballed        Launch 5 crew, swap at space station
  4. Ares 1                Unkerballed    Launch liferaft
  5. Ares V                Unkerballed    Orion + EDS.  Munar orbit, high speed entry.  9Gs
  6. Ares V+Ares 1    Kerballed       Mun Lander, Ares 1 + Orion.  LKO:  Dock, separate, redock, Land.
  7. Ares V+Ares 1    Kerballed       Mun Lander, Ares 1 + Orion.  MKO:  Dock, separate, redock, Land.

Edited by jinnantonix

Konstellation Space Program - part 2

8.      Ares V                  Unkerballed    Altair 1 without the use of an Orion spacecraft (EDS and Altair only launched from Ares V).  Land at equator
9.      Ares V+Ares 1    Kerballed         Altair 2 with the use of an Orion spacecraft.  4 Kerbals land at north pole.  Return 4 Kerbals to Kerbin
10.    Ares V+Ares 1    Kerballed         Altair 3 on the Mun with 6 Kerbals aboard. Land 100m from Altair 1.  
11.    Ares V                  UnKerballed    Mun Outpost variant with two Rovers.  Land 100m from Altair 1 and 3.  Do science.  Return to 6 Kerbals to Kerbin
12     Ares V                  UnKerballed    ATLAST telescope launch, deliver to low Kerbol orbit.

[Video pending]

Edited by jinnantonix