The Minmus Thread.

Rage097

Its some sort of ice, with a kethane core!!!!

The light goes through the ice of mysterious composition, bounces off the core, and gives the surface it's green tint!

How do you know it's ice? The surface could be mint-flavored baking soda for all we know.

Although the Kethane does make sense, Since safety glass is transparent-ish.

Theory get! The flats is shattered Safety glass mixed with kethane.

Why is Minmus so appealing? Is it the low gravity? Is it the combination of low gravity and excellent landing zones where you can trust the altimeter? Is it just the overall color that's aesthetically pleasing?

For me, Minmus is a place of mysterous beauty. It's the first object in game that deviates from out own solar system, we've all seen pics of the Moon, but Minmus is something new. And not having a scientific explanation for its existence only enhances the mystery.

dM8HvYY.jpg

There's something about the shiny, grainy surface, the calm, blue-green colour, and those curvy landforms, that gives an air of peacefulness to it. It's a light, friendly heavenly body, and I think the fact that it's a lot easier to land on makes for a better first impression than the Mun.

I'm not sure if KSP simulates the visual distortions from the atmosphere, (I hope it does/will), but Minmus's mountains for me, have a similar effect to seeing mountains in super clear air- they seem much closer. Of course, IRL, I'm seeing everything on a 2D screen...

I like Minmus, but the fact that its more than an arm's length away from Kerbin means I go there less than Mun. But it's nice to look back on Kerbin and Mun, and feel so far away.

0SHEKNrh.png

Edited by Tw1

And how would a giant piece of glass form in space?

Well you see, Glass is composed of silicon dioxide, sodium oxide, lime and other additives. Minmus may have been a asteroid with kethane present. Minmus's Oribit passed close to the sun, which melted the components into glass. A large amount of meteor bombardments later, some of the surface has been ground into powder and partially fused again. Minmus then gets caught in Kerbin's gravity.

all we need to know now is what the hills and such are made of.

all we need to know now is what the hills and such are made of.

My impression was that they were where other stuff sublimated off into space. The lakes are mostly around the equator, they'd get the most sun, even at the inclined orbit. But not convinced that alone accounts for the shape of the hills.

My impression was that they were where other stuff sublimated off into space. The lakes are mostly around the equator, they'd get the most sun, even at the inclined orbit. But not convinced that alone accounts for the shape of the hills.

So they must be a material with a melting point a bit higher than water, when they start to melt, they slip through the cracks and gaps in the glass, eventually exposing the glass flats/lakes.

Hmm eve is purple... Red and blue make purple, !!!!!

Minmus is a chunk of the blue planet that crashed into the red one to make Eve, Minmus escaped orbit and orbited the sun on an ecliptic trajectory that crossed Kerbins orbit, eventually Kerbin captured it into orbit, then a giant ball of kethane crashed into Minmus, soaking through and forming again at the core.

I'm so smrt :>

I think it just Roquefort :confused:

Yes! It's not the Mun that's made of cheese, it's Minmus! I think I know what my next mission there will be.

Wallace-and-Gromit-006.jpg

So they must be a material with a melting point a bit higher than water, when they start to melt, they slip through the cracks and gaps in the glass, eventually exposing the glass flats/lakes.

It could be that Minmus was even further out initially, or that it formed its shape when it got closer to kerbol, in a kerbol orbit.

Edited by Tw1

Yes! It's not the Mun that's made of cheese, it's Minmus! I think I know what my next mission there will be.

Gilly is the closest color to cheese, so if any things made of cheese, its Gilly,

Unless... *looks at kerbol*

GET THE WATER BUCKETS!!!

I traveled to Mimmus personally to solve this mystery (profound thanx to Kevin Flynn for the necessary hardware to enter my PC's world), and I returned with a physical sample.

Minmus is made of Topaz.

4745583-a-very-large-natural-blue-topaz-crystal-namibia-of-interest-to-jewellers-collectors-and-for-alternat.jpg

I hereby lay claim to all iterations worldwide: PC, Mac, and Linux. I will be the wealthiest person in the Universe! :D :D :D

Gilly is the closest color to cheese, so if any things made of cheese, its Gilly,

Unless... *looks at kerbol*

GET THE WATER BUCKETS!!!

Kerbol is melted cheese, Minmus is mint ice cream... is it possible that the entire Kerbol solar system is like a giant buffet? Duna is a cheesecake, Moho is a brownie, Jool is a watermelon...

Kerbol is melted cheese, Minmus is mint ice cream... is it possible that the entire Kerbol solar system is like a giant buffet? Duna is a cheesecake, Moho is a brownie, Jool is a watermelon...

In that case, what the hell is Kerbin?!

I read somewhere that if other stuff is mixed in it melts at a higher temperature maybe its frozen salt water or something?

That tends to work the other way around in that impurities lower melting point. It's why you put salt on the roads in winter - salty water can't freeze even in the low winter temperatures and so remains liquid rather than turning to ice. This only works up to a point of course.

</pedant>

That tends to work the other way around in that impurities lower melting point. It's why you put salt on the roads in winter - salty water can't freeze even in the low winter temperatures and so remains liquid rather than turning to ice. This only works up to a point of course.

</pedant>

This!

Everyone talking about saltwater is going the wrong direction, it'll help you keep Laythe liquid, but it make Minmus melt faster. There's nothing that'll explain that as water ice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.