The Minmus Thread.

Rage097

That's an Idea xD

There has to be SOMETHING realworld that makes sense, even if it's rediculous (i.e. Giant mass of mint ice cream).

The Ice lakes/ salt flats could be something akin to broken safety glass. The color is correct and it can exist under the temperture conditions.

2239582946_0b939a70c9_z.jpg?zz=1

I Got it! Minmus is made of crystal meth!

Minmus is a Small Kerbol System Body that was captured early on by the planet Kerbin. It is composed primarily of water ice surrounding a core of unknown extremely dense matter. When Minmus was young, and its crust was still in a liquid state and before it lost its thin carbon dioxide atmosphere, a species of microorganism thrived in its oceans. This microorganism secreted copious quantities of lipids, hexahydrothymol, chlorophyll, and resins which remain in the crust of Minmus today.

This theory explains why Minmus can exist as close as it does to Kerbol: As the ice of Minmus's crust sublimes in the vacuum of space, the resin is left behind and forms a barrier to further sublimation. This theory also explains why the crust of Minmus tastes like mint ice cream, and why it is such a popular destination for spacefaring kerbals who are running low on snacks.

When I mentioned safety glass in another thread the other day, I merely thought about how it looks to me, not what it should be.

Safety glass is an artificial product, impossible to find in nature, but it's certainly less absurd (and less tasty) than mint ice cream.

Minmus can't be water ice because it would sublime that close to the Sun. Water ice, just like many other molecular solids, sublimes when its temperature is close enough to its melting point. It takes really low temperatures to ensure the rate of sublimation is so low that the time to lose a solid macroscopic sample is reasonably long, something like the age of Solar system or universe. That's why you can have primordial ice in space, where the temperature is close to 0 K.

The best approximation is that it has a thick crust made of some kind of salt or a mixture of salts. The body itself is pure fiction, impossible in reality, but this is the closest explanation.

Resins would not be possible. They would degrade under radiation over the huge time spans just like any other organic material.

Edited by lajoswinkler

2011-05-11_104012_007.jpg

That's glass with some other impurrities in it.

Look enough like minmus?

That looks EXACTLY like Minmus's lakes. And at the poster who said maganese (II) Oxide could be an ingredient: That would explain the dark patches on the tops of mountains.

So far, we have these theories

LAKES: Salt/salt mixture, shattered glass, solid but impure glass, mint ice cream.

Surface: Maganese (II) Oxide, Calcium carbonate, more ice cream.

That looks EXACTLY like Minmus's lakes. And at the poster who said maganese (II) Oxide could be an ingredient: That would explain the dark patches on the tops of mountains.

LAKES: Salt/salt mixture, shattered glass, solid but impure glass, mint ice cream.

Don't forget the kethane core

*insert Breaking Bad joke here*

"What was that you were asking me? Oh- The stupid plastic containers I wanted you to buy, You see, Hydrofloric acid will not melt through plastic....

It WILL, However, Melt through Metal... Stone.. Ceramic.... Glass..

So Theres that,

(Gore drips from hole in ceiling)

"What was that you were asking me? Oh- The stupid plastic containers I wanted you to buy, You see, Hydrofloric acid will not melt through plastic....

It WILL, However, Melt through Metal... Stone.. Ceramic.... Glass..

So Theres that,

(Gore drips from hole in ceiling)

I have to admit, I haven't actually seen Breaking Bad, so that went right over my head..

You forgot about Nitronite/Hexagen compound.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.