[0.90] Stack Inline Lights 0.7 [update 07/04/2015]]

alexustas

I have just redownloaded this mod as i had it before but didn't know why i didn't download it once more. I LOVED it before and still do. Eye candy anyone? The first pic is the station without lights on and the rest are me having fun with the lights, two on the center piece witch is the Devon fuel part thingy and then one, or two on each arm?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I really do like this part, but can I ask for one type of modification, or, instruction on how to do what I want? Basically, I don't want it to actually emit light on anything else, but, I'd like the ring to light up so I can see it around docking rings. The part as is is useful for lighting things up when far away, but, I kind of like the idea of just having a ring around my docking rings, but, no other part lighting up.

I have no idea if this would be possible or not, but I figured I'd put it out there. One use I thought about after seeing this mod was (purely aesthetic) to be able to link it to a docking port, similar to the weld shown in the OP, but have it change colour when a docking seal is achieved (eg. Red when nothing is docked, green when the connection is made) Again, I have no idea if it's possible or not, but it might be kinda cool if it was :D

A minor bug(?) I found. When manually entering values in the light picker, if 1 is entered in the value, I can't change it to anything else. If 0 is entered, I can't enter a decimal, then some numbers. If I set 1, then "Home" the cursor to the first position, then hit period, I can then cursor over and start entering numbers so long I don't delete the 1.

If I may offer the suggestion that when the OnExit/OnLeave/OnWhateverC#OrUnityUsesWhenLossOfFocusHappens kicks off, THEN validate the number and adjust the colors. Don't do it while the user is entering numbers. Either that, instead of using decimal numbers, use 0-255, SKIP the values if the entry is NaN or empty, and then divide the min(abs(users value),255) by 255 to get the percentage number. I realize that Unity uses a float number between 0 and 1 to indicate a percentage of color.

This is a fantastic idea, but I'm having trouble with the docking ports included in the first post. The ports show up in my VAB and seem to function as docking ports just fine, and they have a gui to turn on and off the lights but the lights never turn on.

The default inline part DOES turn on and off. And looks great :) However I really like the idea of replacing my docking ports with lit ones moreso than just having lights on my space ships and stations. I browsed the past few pages and I don't see anybody reporting problems so I'm hoping it's something simple that I'm doing wrong.

The zip file only has 3 files in it. I didn't know what to do with them so I put them in the GameData\ASET\SIL-02--25m_lw directory, along with the part.cfg for the working light ring.

This is a fantastic idea, but I'm having trouble with the docking ports included in the first post. The ports show up in my VAB and seem to function as docking ports just fine, and they have a gui to turn on and off the lights but the lights never turn on.

The default inline part DOES turn on and off. And looks great :) However I really like the idea of replacing my docking ports with lit ones moreso than just having lights on my space ships and stations. I browsed the past few pages and I don't see anybody reporting problems so I'm hoping it's something simple that I'm doing wrong.

The zip file only has 3 files in it. I didn't know what to do with them so I put them in the GameData\ASET\SIL-02--25m_lw directory, along with the part.cfg for the working light ring.

Do you install the "Vanguard Technologies Plugin"?

Do you install the "Vanguard Technologies Plugin"?

I did not! I see it now but not knowing it was needed, it wasn't clear. I think the varying sizes and colors of text doesn't make it apparent.

I just installed it from the spaceport link, just put the VNG folder into my GameData folder, and the ports still don't light up. I don't think they'll function as ports either because their tweakable ranges are crazy. They are all set to -1 and if I put them over even a little they go so huge they need an E to tell me the number.

Like, AcquireRange is -1 on the far left (the default when I placed the part). If I click it one little bit in (maybe 5% of the total bar) the number is 1.996555E+... (I hate to think what that ... is)

There is also a "Lights Off" button and a "Lights On" button and they do nothing when I click them. "Show Colour Picker" brings up a GUI where I can pick a color but no matter what I pick, the lights stay off.

EDIT: Aha! I got it. I had downloaded the first link in the first post thinking that was the mod. Apparently the actual mod is the 2nd and 3rd links, to a rar and zip of the same files? If I may make a suggestion, you should consolidate all of your download links together and make it more clear which is which, and what is needed for what to function.

That said, I would like to thank you for this plugin and for making the docking ports available as well. They're exactly what my Let's Play series needs to make things stand out when I'm (as seems frequent!) trying to dock on the night side of a planet.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I think the thing confusing 5thHorseman was that everything above "NEW!NEW!NEW!" in the OP is actually old versions of the inline lights.

Yeah I think so too. Most mods (and most software you find online) has a very clear, labeled, and most importantly high-placed (on the page) link to the download of the most recent stable build that you are expected to download. Then, if they bother to include them, they put old versions and beta versions of new builds below that. I frankly never noticed the NEW NEW NEW text.

Is there a way to control the area lit up by these lights? I've tried dimming them, but it's just dimmer in the same large area. I was trying to set up a station with the lights and/or the integrated docking ports, but I can practically light up the whole station with one well placed light. Checked the config file quickly and didn't see a setting. I was hoping to reduce the area to something similar to what the B9 lights do.

Is there a way to control the area lit up by these lights? I've tried dimming them, but it's just dimmer in the same large area. I was trying to set up a station with the lights and/or the integrated docking ports, but I can practically light up the whole station with one well placed light. Checked the config file quickly and didn't see a setting. I was hoping to reduce the area to something similar to what the B9 lights do.

You can to control the color of lights (and with it, the brightness) but not a range. in the Unity this parameters are independent.

• 1 month later...

great stuff! good job and thank you. :) I know someone has asked this, but, are we to see strip lights in different lengths in the not so distant future? a tron aircraft or heli would be quite awesome.

Edited by mrsinister
to add aditional comment/question

great stuff! good job and thank you. :) I know someone has asked this, but, are we to see strip lights in different lengths in the not so distant future? a tron aircraft or heli would be quite awesome.

I second this motion! I love your mod and strip lights would make your pack complete!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.