Basic Aircraft Design - Explained Simply, With Pictures

keptin

Has there been any update to the drag model? Are there any new updates? I'm just now getting back into KSP - I haven't played for maybe a year now.

Life has been pretty busy and I haven't made time to update, but yes, plenty of things have changed. I've got a list of edits to make to the tut once I get to it, and that's one of them. Most of the information is still relevant.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is one of the most helpful things ive ever read in ksp. Even after 2k hours into the game, I learned how your CoM and CoL bring changes to flight characteristics with regards to the Dihedral Effect :D

But does KSP really still calculate drag so that a part without a fairing being hauled into space has less drag then an occluded part in a fairing?

Edited by fireblade274

11 hours ago, fireblade274 said:

But does KSP really still calculate drag so that a part without a fairing being hauled into space has less drag then an occluded part in a fairing?

No, that info is trough pictures and probably not so easy to edit/update like normal post and it is obsolete since KSP 1.0.x

However, if you seek for more realistic aerodynamic behaviour in other area besides fairing drag, you should look for FAR mod.

Btw, in some cases fairing will produce even more drag than rocket without fairing. But main purpose of fairing is not to reduce drag, it is protection of sensitive cargo(payload) from atmosphear forces. Depending on payload inside fairing, it is possible to have less drag with fairing than without it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Definitely a good read. Three minor points:

- It would be much appreciated if you could update the text now the atmospheric model in KSP has changed.

- Small explanation of Trim would me much appreciated, since this can combine the best of both worlds when designing aircraft.

- Now we're talking expansions, how about a section about where best to keep your payload in an aircraft? Keeping in mind construction strength, weight, centers, length:width ratio, drag, etc. it's a lot more complicated than with a rocket. Aircraft can be great tools for science gathering, both on Kerbin and on other atmospheric bodies. Once you know how to do it properly, that is.

Edited by Mast

To understand engine thrust trim, I recommend RCS build aid mod. It not only help with RCS symmetry / alignment but also provide info about torque.

For payload placement, there is no really good straight answer for it. It depends a lot on payload size and weight and will you deattach it from cargo bay or not.
Whatever you need, least of trouble you will have if payload does not influence shifting of COM on craft. Meaning, when you attach or deattach payaload from cargo bay, COM stay on the same place. Also it helps if does not shift much as fuel tanks gets drained.

If you can't drain tanks evenly there is fuel tank balancer mod that can help you with this, but carefully designed craft does not need that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey! Really nice tutorial. I like it a lot, very detailed. I'm having some problems, could you help me?

Here is my basic plane: The Koala. It's got the lift right behind the mass, and the thrust is in line. I've re-tested this and it won't lift off now. Before it was flip happy, got everything lined up and now it won't lift off. What's the problem?

Thanks!

PaG9w74.pnge8GJSCX.png

-EDIT. I've realised I don't have any Eleveons on. I put 2 Elevon 1's on each wing.

And it flies almost perfectly. Thanks for the tutorial, had to read a bit more.

I also ended up adding some canards on the front to make it turn better.

Edited by Dcseal

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Had to relearn how to fly after a bit of a plane hiatus. Suddenly couldn't get off the ground anymore. One read through this post and...

9f1UztR.jpg

This is literally the sexiest thing I've ever seen.

(ok now I'm trying to find the KSC back in the dark.. umm)

Edited by Tricky14

I should update this at some point.  Thankfully the drag model has changed since it was created, but much of what you see there still applies.  There's more to touch on, like empennage design, but the original goal of the guide was to give players a starting point to create their own designs and learn beyond that from trial and error, which I think it still succeeds in.

Edited by keptin

• 2 months later...

I made one of my own tutorials if anyone wants to check it out. It's not illustrated yet but I'm planning to use ingame screenshots.

Link to tutorial

Edit: Illustrated :D

Edited by Murican_Jeb

• 4 weeks later...

Love this. It's been a great crash course/refresher for me, and reminds me of all the tools I have at my disposal to make planes better. I also wasn't sure that things like dihedral wings would actually make much of a difference, but I think I need to give that a shot. I'm currently ignoring my space program to construct a nice little set of planes, and this has given me some great ideas for making better designs.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.