keptin

Basic Aircraft Design - Explained Simply, With Pictures

8 hours ago, Pavel ☭ said:

Read entire guide 10 times, planes still won't take off no matter how fast I go on the runway. gg

Post a picture or two of your plane @Pavel

25 minutes ago, ToastyOats said:

It'd be really nice if there was a 1.4.5 Update. Or maybe an addition of wing-shapes for Hypersonic craft explanations.

I just reread this.   Up until the the bit about drag, the basics of centre of mass, centre of lift and thrust torque still stand.    The drag stuff is now wildly incorrect.

The stock aero model does not care about wing shape,   Hypersonic wing vs subsonic wing can be the same shape.  Just get your centre of mass / centre of lift right  and avoid the part attachment mistakes that cause abnormally high drag.    

Hi /r/KerbalSpaceProgram, glad to see players still get use out of this guide! I've considered updating it for sometime. I have may some time coming up--post some suggestions for updates or additional content.

13 hours ago, keptin said:

Hi /r/KerbalSpaceProgram, glad to see players still get use out of this guide! I've considered updating it for sometime. I have may some time coming up--post some suggestions for updates or additional content.

Nice to see your comeback to KSP after long hiatus. Quite a lot of this guide is still valid even for KSP 1.6.x and probably would be for several next updates. Sure, there some obsolete things, like drag bug being fixed and some new bugs introduced with KSP updating on new unity game engine (wheels autostruting can be issue in some cases) etc. Also, would be nice to see some new tips with more knowledge gained and new stuff become available in KSP itself.

Regardless, welcome back to forums.