Ground track maps of spacecraft orbits in tracking center

Don't know if it has been suggested or if it is a planned feature, but I just thought that it would be cool to see the ground track map projections of spacecrafts in orbit around Kerbin in the tracking station. Here is a real life example:

Satellite_Orbital_Elements_ISS_Groundtrack.png

With the addition of biomes in .22 it would be awesome if we can see the orbital trajectories of our satellites above certain geographic locations on the planets.

• 2 weeks later...

The point is so you know what part of Kerbin you are flying over, have flown over, and will be flying over. Orbital footprint maps are extremely useful visualisation aids, regardless of "planetary wobble" (which is NOT the reason they are used!).

Kerbin doesnt wobble around its axis like earth though? So whats the point of this? You can already tell where your satillites are going to fly over easily enough.

For an equatorial orbit sure, but for a polar orbit that's designed to observe as much ground as possible this would be great.

Comt to think of ot, ISA MAPSAT coudl be probably easily remade to just show gruund track.

2df43d9dee3e168e2dc208b7ebaaa5e5.png?1334910418

Imagine, you have three screens, one shows spaceship, second orbital map, third ground track. Or even fourth with navigation instruments and detail orbital data :) Miniature space center.

Now the best thing would be if we could use this map to make maneuver nodes, which will help with making very accurate landings.

As far as I'm concerned, you win this discussion. That would be a fantastic alternate map mode. I have nothing to add, but support this concept fully, now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bump. I was just looking for a mod like this. I'd even go as far as to say I'd want one visible in flight (like orbiter), and not just in the tracking station, Ground tracks are extremely useful for biome mapping, and planning reentry/landing coordinates.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.