KSP Test Pilot Challenge

Some nice ideas there. I haven't thought about a second challenge yet, but if I do it will definitely be something similar. I had a look at the weekly report, but it doesn't seem to be the place that would accept a submission to promote a forum challenge.

I did think about including puzzles on the plaques, but for this one decided I wanted it to be about playing the game rather than puzzle solving ability.

I've never used MechJeb so have no idea how it works, or how to place a docking port so that MJ would struggle. I understand from forum posts though that docking is not a strongpoint with MJ so I don't think it should really be a problem to keep docking ports accessible.

Another way to possibly discourage MJ use would be to create the challenge as a scenario, and prevent access to the VAB. None of my craft have MJ fitted but if someone wanted to cheat, I understand they could create a small MJ fitted module that could be docked to one of my craft. Having said that, it seems to be a lot of effort to gain any advantage that MJ could give you.

The fuel transfer could be a good idea. If you can get the balance right, having very little fuel left wouldn't prevent a player from completing that part of the challenge, but saving fuel and having more to use will enable you to go a lot faster, or take a shortcut or something.

Edited by Scarecrow88

I will be trying this as soon as I get home from work today. Look for my submission later. I'm very excited to start! It looks like you've put together a really well planned and thought out mission. I will also pledge to use 0 quicksave reloads, so if I fail I fail. I will post the result regardless.

Ok, Here's my time, 12d, 20h, 15m, 28s. I missed a few key rendezvous windows so I could have shaved more time off. Plus I took my time with maneuvers because I didn't want to use quicksaves.

**Note with the pics: click to go to photobucket, where the full size version can be viewed.**

Pic of all 3 next to the VAB memorial:

screenshot152_zpsaa10d77b.png

Pic with the Remote KSC crew shuttle in the tracking station:

screenshot154_zps5abe1ce9.png

You guys can view the full mission pics there on photobucket, but something DID happen on this mission in which I had to compensate for!

The mission was going pretty smoothly, but when I did my retro burn to land on the mun with the provided lander....THIS happened:

screenshot118_zps01c3f2df.png

I thought I didn't need to check my clearance with the Mun station before I made my burn in map view!

So, on to plan B, I took Jeb and Bob on EVA back to the mun station, and used the transit ship from the Minimus station to attempt a Mun landing. The Mun was dark (I was planning on having lights on the provided lander) so I had to land using the instrument panel only and both fingers were crossed!

screenshot125_zpsf8d4bce3.png

Upon landing, the engine exploded, and a few RCS cans, but my brave kerbals survived! I took both of them on a 2.5km EVA flight to the landing site. Rest of the mission went pretty good. No real hitches.

Scarecrow, I can say this has been the most fun I've had KSP for a long time! Thanks a ton for setting it up! If you're thinking about making more please do, this has been great! :):cool:

Edited by Xiphos

I gave this a try-- got too aggressive with my minmus-mun transfer and ran out of gas, and didn't have a good quicksave. I'll give it another shot tomorrow night! Excellent challenge.

I've got MJ installed, and the tab is there in all the screenshots, but I'm not using it. (CBA to muck with my mod folder just for this challenge. I use it as an information tool anyway - only autopilot that's even enabled is the smart A.S.S.)- You'll have to take my word that I'm not cheating.

Just to confirm for anyone else who may be thinking of doing this challenge, there are now 2 files available for download. The original is still available for anyone who may be still running v0.21.1. The second file has been updated to make it fully compatible for v0.22. Please note that the original file will not work properly in v0.22 due to the changes that have been made to the scenery around KSC and the island airfield. Also the new landing legs have caused a few problems with the craft within the challenge that use them, so they too have been tweaked so that the new legs aren't causing a problem.

Mike, I am not sure what the problem might be. I just downloaded the file from the Dropbox location, using the link you listed in your post, copied it into a new game save file, overwriting the one that had already been created, and it loaded fine. I have no idea if it might be a Steam thing, as my version of the game came from the store, but it too is v 0.22.0.351, so I am at a loss to explain why it isn't working for you.

If you want to pm me your email address, I could try sending you the persistent file directly, but it should be exactly the same as the file you have downloaded from Dropbox. If anyone else is able to offer any suggestions as to what the problem might be, I would be happy to hear them.

Yep, just re-downloaded it and nada. Tried tricking the game by making a new game, then backing up, then choosing to resume a saved game (bypassing the error), then covertly copying the save file right then, then clicking load, but it still gave an error a la incompatible file.

Bummer, I was looking forward to this.

Any other steam users here that have used this file?

-Mike

Had a thought that maybe some of the mods I have installed may have affected the save file, even though none of the craft within the challenge carry any mod components. However, I uninstalled all my mods from the game and still had no problem loading. I'm sorry, but I have run out of ideas as to what it might be that is giving you this error.

Hey, Scarecrow, I finally got it working. Had to call the new game I created 'Local Run' to match the name in the save file.

Very fun scenario(s). Must have taken a bit to get it all set up, and I applaud your effort. I hope others take your lead and we get more of these hunt-type challenges.

Here's my screenshot. Took a bit longer because we were 4km off on our KSP Center landing. Jeb blamed Bill, and refused to walk, so Bill had to jog back to the airstrip and get the crew delivery shuttle, then come back for the others.

-Mike

fNqPLpZ.jpg

Mike, I'm glad you got it to work eventually. Strange about the name, because when I tried it following your initial post, I put the save file in a game called something completely different, and as already stated didn't have a problem.

Have added you to the Leaderboard.

p.s. You do realise that you could have swapped to the tracking station to pick the crew shuttle buggy, and driven it remotely to pick the boys up, which would have saved you a bit of time.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.