[PLUGIN][ALPHA-10] City Lights and Clouds on Kerbin/Others

rbray89

Not bad, not bad. They look like they're moving very quickly though, judging from the shadow, the video only showed about an hour. Is it going to be possible to have things that swirl? But good demonstration of the concept.

I'm not entirely sure. I think it could be doable, right now I'm just using a couple textures I found in a Google search. I think what could be done is using a couple "rainbow" "cloud" textures, and a blending layer that would select the color to use to create some REALLY interesting patterns. Shaders are super powerful. I think it could be done. Just not 100% on it yet.

I made a very quick video too. I happened to have a ship returning to Kerbin so I took this while it was approaching. Sadly KAC paused it and thew up a popup right as it was getting interesting, but maybe it makes it a better teaser... :)

OOOH... I like it. Requires much less patience than my launch videos.

Could you compress this into a DLL as an alpha, rbray?

I don't have the software.

It is. Go to his link, click "download zip" on the right side, and in that zip find the gamedata folder. In that folder is a BoulderCo folder. Put THAT folder in your actual GameData folder and bammo. City lights.

At least, that's how I did it to get my video.

It'd be great if you could open this mod up more to others. A file in PluginData that lets you choose rotation speed, planet, that sort of stuff, etc.

PM if you want my help with the clouds of Jool. Been working on something, but it's hard when I've only got Kerbin to work with.

It'd be great if you could open this mod up more to others. A file in PluginData that lets you choose rotation speed, planet, that sort of stuff, etc.

PM if you want my help with the clouds of Jool. Been working on something, but it's hard when I've only got Kerbin to work with.

That will be in the next couple updates I think.

Here i made a mod review.

you can use it on the front page if you would like :) (bye the way i would love a feature where the glow of light pollution can be seen as an orange glow in the sky from the ground )

Hmmm... You might want to mention that the cities are from the procedural cities mod from toby121 (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50473-PLUGIN-0-21-x-ALPHA-Kerbopolis-Procedurally-Generated-Cities). I haven't gotten around to working up my city generation code yet it is way more alpha than I'd like it to be... :)

Just trying this out. Very nice. It brings life to the game.

The lights don't look right in LKO (75-100km).

I have to agree with this. The lights were very dim compared to higher orbits. It's as though they just became splotches of color, and lost whatever quality it is they makes them look like lights.

The other problem I had with LKO was the cloud layer. It does look good from higher altitudes, but in LKO, it appears as though the clouds are sitting on the top of the atmosphere.

Edit: I think the issue is that the cloud layer seems to be moving very fast.

Edited by razark

Just trying this out. Very nice. It brings life to the game.

I have to agree with this. The lights were very dim compared to higher orbits. It's as though they just became splotches of color, and lost whatever quality it is they makes them look like lights.

The other problem I had with LKO was the cloud layer. It does look good from higher altitudes, but in LKO, it appears as though the clouds are sitting on the top of the atmosphere.

Edit: I think the issue is that the cloud layer seems to be moving very fast.

This is done on purpose so that later, I can add higher res mapping for low-alititude flights. This is a limitation with the planet mechanism that limits the resolution, so I'll just use PQSCity to add higher poly light "cities" to the surface for glorious low altitude flights. The clouds are slowed down considerably now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.