New Old Guy...

Darkeldar

Growing up as a child of the Space Age, I knew well the names Mercury, Gemini and Apollo. I was 10 in July of '69 and I grew up in a small SE Ohio town. Our High School mascot was the Golden Rockets. I used my newspaper route money to buy materials from Centauri and Estes, and I tried to garner interest in forming a model rocketry club at the same High School.

But the hobby had fallen away as I went to college and found wargaming was easier to sustain and maintain. Though even now I will stop and took at the Estes stuff in the hobby stores (Though Centauri had the best looking rocket kits).

So a lot of years have gone by, and I'm still a gamer, both tabletop and computer, and it took a visit to FARK to show me that KSP existed. I downloaded the demo and played around with it and finally purchased it yesterday.

I headed straight off to the HAB and built my own version of the SR-71 and while finding out that the aerospike engines wouldn't work, I was able to get the plane to fly with an engine change. Which brings up my first question...How do you end a flight? I was able to land it, but I'm far from the airfield. Next question...is there a pointer available (toggle able) to point back to the launch site?

I'm looking to build and fly aerospace craft like the Dyna-Soar project and the Lifting-Bodies like the HL-10 and X-24. I just started to explore the B3 Aerospace Pack, but even then I don't see the components I'm looking for.

So I'm going to play around some more, build my own weird stuff, but I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Edited by Darkeldar

Welcome to the community Darkeldar :)

Press Escape and return to the space center, you can end your flights from the tracking station screen, not sure about the pointer though, if you leave a craft at the space center you should be able to target it in the map screen, giving you a pink target marker on the navball.

Most of us just get used to switching to the map with M and dead reckoning though :)

There's a lot of addon parts, and if you don't find what you need then someone will probably make them if you ask.

Good luck with your designs, and fly safe :D

Thanks for the welcome...I rebuilt the aerospace-plane with Sabre S engines and while it still takes most of the runway to take off, I have no problem getting it over 10K and over Mach 1. But I'm having a couple issues...supplying oxidizer with the Mk2 body-style and the procedure to change the engine mode while in flight. I have found the buttons per the right-click, but I've only been able to activate one engine...with the expected disastrous outcome.

Action Groups, this is what you need to be using. It is one of the 3 blue buttons just to the left of center screen in the VAB and HAB, the other 2 are "Crew" and "Build". To bind what you need open this menu select "group 1" then click on your engines and select "toggle". Now you should be able to hit "1" above the letter keys and it will enable/disable you engines.

I think thats right, hope it helps.

Is it just a simple drag and drop between folders to move something from the HAB to VAB, and back? I'm having issues putting wing tips on a aerospace payload built in the VAB (one pointing up, the other down), that I believe I have to build the payload in the HAB, bring it to the VAB, translate it to a vertical orientation and then build the launch vehicle underneath it.

Can KSP do something like NB-52 and X-Plane flights? Is it just a matter of changing the flight focus? I assume it would be possible to "autopilot" the mothership during the X flight, providing it is at a safe altitude and in stable flight.