Permission to come aboard

Check Six

Hi everyone. New to KSP and new to this Forum. I was checking out YouTube vids for another game/sim and came across a tutorial for KSP (by Squirrel or maybe dasquirrelnuts) and watched it and was hooked. I came home, ordered, paid for, downloaded and was up and running within an hour.

I did the tutorial missions, but failed to achieve an intercept with the Mun. I think maybe I need to adjust my thrust as I was intercepting it at about 90 degrees ahead, not 45 like the tutorial suggests. Am I right in saying that?

Anyway, I have plenty of time to discover interplanetary travel, as I started from the ground up (literally). I took a test flight on one of the stock aircraft, and successfully took off, looped around and landed and taxied back to the hangar (pretty good for a first attempt, but I do have flight sim experience).

I will trawl through this forum this afternoon / evening, as it's not right to ask one of my million questions until I search through for answers and read to gain knowledge. I hope to contact you all again in the very near future. Hopefully my questions will not bore you with "this old chestnut? why didn't he read the forum. I'm going to ignore him" but will receive informative answers. I always do my homework, and always "pay it back" and will respond to anyone that I can help with my limited knowledge (at this stage).

My first question is about my Avatar. I can't edit my avatar, because I don't have one. I need to go to User Control Panel, but I don't have one of those either. Perhaps I need to post a few times in a civil manner before being permitted. Can anyone help?

Steve

aka Check Six

After the forum decided that you are not a spam bot, those options will be available to you.

Start simple in your design just like the space program did. Build and test some suborbital probes and land them in one piece. Next, go orbital. Learn how to orbit efficiently. Design more efficient orbiters. Go manned orbit and return. Set your sights on Mun first orbiting, then landing, and land and return. Master that and you are ready to go bigger and to the planets.

After the forum decided that you are not a spam bot, those options will be available to you.

Start simple in your design just like the space program did. Build and test some suborbital probes and land them in one piece. Next, go orbital. Learn how to orbit efficiently. Design more efficient orbiters. Go manned orbit and return. Set your sights on Mun first orbiting, then landing, and land and return. Master that and you are ready to go bigger and to the planets.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I just checked, and as far as I can tell, I'm not a bot, but you can never be too sure.

I watched some very informative tutorials on YouTube today at work, and in the one I saw that focused on landing on one of the moons, it suggested that Mun has a higher gravity (I think that was the reason) and therefore is a poorer candidate for a lunar landing as it required more fuel and larger capacity engines or perhaps just a larger payload. I guess that orbiting the Mun a few times and returning would not use as much fuel as a landing (and hopefully a return to the home planet), but it was suggested that a landing on the other moon (sorry I can't remember its name off-hand) was much easier. Does anyone agree? Should I look to orbiting the further moon and then plan to land on it first?

Sorry, this IS just an intro forum, and those questions perhaps belong elsewhere, I just thought I'd ask.

I watched some very informative tutorials on YouTube today at work, and in the one I saw that focused on landing on one of the moons, it suggested that Mun has a higher gravity (I think that was the reason) and therefore is a poorer candidate for a lunar landing as it required more fuel and larger capacity engines or perhaps just a larger payload. I guess that orbiting the Mun a few times and returning would not use as much fuel as a landing (and hopefully a return to the home planet), but it was suggested that a landing on the other moon (sorry I can't remember its name off-hand) was much easier. Does anyone agree? Should I look to orbiting the further moon and then plan to land on it first?

First off, welcome to the forums! :)

There's really no right or wrong answer to whether the Mun or Minmus is "easier" to practice with, since each has certain advantages over the other. The Mun is easier to reach directly from Kerbin, since it's in a perfectly circular orbit with no inclination relative to the planet, but it also takes more overall delta-v for a landing-and-return mission to the Mun than to Minmus. Minmus has lower gravity which makes the actual landing easier, but it's also in a distant, inclined orbit, meaning you have to do a little bit more planning to actually get there. Overall, I'd recommend getting plenty of practice on and around both, but I'll leave the order up to whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Another helpful tip: Before going interplanetary, you might want to try transferring between the Mun and Minmus and back with one craft. You'll use the same basic principles to transfer between planets (only on a larger scale), and it's much less taxing on your fuel allowance.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks again for the warm welcome and much needed advice.

I will indeed practice all the manoeuvres required to eventually lead to interplanetary travel and habitats on moons or other extra terrestrial bodies (err...extra Kerbal bodies?) and space stations. I have begun my initial series of missions attempting to achieve orbit (of course, I have already achieved it in the in game tutorial, and have even orbited the Mun, but that was is a vessel not of my design.

I have a TON of questions, but this is not the place for them. I hope to see you in other portions of this very helpful Forum.

Thanks again guys.

Check Six

Do you know how to use maneuver nodes? You can always check and mess around with your burn before you actually go ahead and do it until you get an intercept.

That is how I always burn for the mun (you can watch the entire video if you like, but I didn't do a commentary and it's not very professionally done. I also ballsed up my return burn, it should have been much further around. Didn't matter but still).

Edited by Person012345